Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:36:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Red Fury Help  (Read 763 times)
technion (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 04:15:58 AM

Hey guys,

I've just bought a Red Fury off eBay.

Yes, I'm aware it's unlikely to ROI, that's not the issue.

The issue is that I've read several different guides regarding how to install drivers for this device, but they all seem dependant on having Windows detect "something" first. When I plug it in, there's none of the typical "hard disk grinds for a few seconds, Windows pops up saying something about detecting hardware, etc etc". The LED never comes on (although, is it meant to before it starts mining?) and every indication is that the unit is absolutely dead. I mean, I can plug in an unsupported USB->serial converter and Windows at least says something about needing a driver before giving up.

I don't see how something like this can be overly likely to be a dead unit though, it's got no moving parts and physically looks to match the description of a "new, unused" device.

I've also tried a different computer, and I've tested both directly connecting to the front ports and using a powered USB hub.

Any advice on this appreciated.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Taugeran

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

CCNA: There i fixed the internet.

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:14:24 AM

Hey guys,

I've just bought a Red Fury off eBay.

Yes, I'm aware it's unlikely to ROI, that's not the issue.

The issue is that I've read several different guides regarding how to install drivers for this device, but they all seem dependant on having Windows detect "something" first. When I plug it in, there's none of the typical "hard disk grinds for a few seconds, Windows pops up saying something about detecting hardware, etc etc". The LED never comes on (although, is it meant to before it starts mining?) and every indication is that the unit is absolutely dead. I mean, I can plug in an unsupported USB->serial converter and Windows at least says something about needing a driver before giving up.

I don't see how something like this can be overly likely to be a dead unit though, it's got no moving parts and physically looks to match the description of a "new, unused" device.

I've also tried a different computer, and I've tested both directly connecting to the front ports and using a powered USB hub.

Any advice on this appreciated.

in one of the support threads is more details. now do you plan on using cgminer or bfgminer with the device? this will determine the course you need to take. and be aware if you decide to change youre mind from cgminer first, to bfgminer later. on windows this can becomea pita to change the drivers. now linux is a different story. look into installing debian or ubuntu onto a flashdrive and booting from that. better stability, less hassle.

Bitfury HW & Habañero : 1.625Th/s
tips/Donations: 1NoS89H3Mr6U5CmP4VwWzU2318JEMxHL1
Come join Coinbase
technion (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:37:04 AM

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking to use bfgminer, but I'm not getting as far as making the choice.

I've found a number of installation discussions - installing drivers always starts with expecting to see the device under "Devices and Printers", or in the device manager. It never turns up there either.
coolmusic

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:00:05 AM

It sounds to me like a power issue. If your computer is a desktop tower try the rear usb ports
technion (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:56:59 AM

I had one desktop and one laptop. I've tried the rear ports in the tower.
Taugeran

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:24:19 PM

there should be 2 momentary switches on the device near the usb connector. one reset the uC (RST), the other (PRG), if held down through the USB enumeration will make it appear as a USB flashdrive. if it appears as a usb and it has a file in it already it should be good to go.

Come join Coinbase
technion (OP)

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:52:12 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses and help with this.

I can confirm this now as being faulty hardware - the second one I ordered arrived and I've got it up and running without any issues, confirming it's not a power issue, user issue or any other obvious option.  Holding down PG doesn't help, and even getting as far as the USB enumeration doesn't seem to happen - it's a write off as far as I'm concerned.

Taugeran

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:48:04 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses and help with this.

I can confirm this now as being faulty hardware - the second one I ordered arrived and I've got it up and running without any issues, confirming it's not a power issue, user issue or any other obvious option.  Holding down PG doesn't help, and even getting as far as the USB enumeration doesn't seem to happen - it's a write off as far as I'm concerned.

sounds like you are up and hashing. happy hashing ^_^

Come join Coinbase
laflaflaf

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:13:54 AM

Sounds not good feeling

TheSmurfsCoin:Tn5HRXnMmbVQoDjsz3rgSZwZwQyz5JNXr2
ShareCoin:SfE8LN2MLVV5XHmKLizjZonAHYPMFS1muN