Bitcoin Forum
June 19, 2024, 12:19:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Blockchain.info] Umm did I get hacked?  (Read 969 times)
dyland (OP)

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

We must become the pitiless censors of ourselves.

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 06:32:02 AM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 12:29:05 PM by malevolent

My blockchain wallet shows zero balance. I have 2FA set up.

Received email stating the following from blockchain:

"Wallet Backup

Attached to this email is an AES encrypted wallet backup which contains everything you need to restore your bitcoin balance. You can use it to restore the wallet at anytime at My Wallet or using the 3rd party MultiBit Desktop client."

Not really sure what my next step is....

Strangely enough it also says I have had no transactions???

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
dyland (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:07:15 AM

my most recent notification was that I received expected funds. I received no notification about me sending any funds...

Blackcoin ~ 10 second transactions (fastest coin) ~ 100% proof of stake (the first) ~ No wasteful mining (most efficient)
jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:12:07 AM

Explain the symptoms from the exact moment you noticed an issue.  For example, noticed my balance was zero. ...
dyland (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:18:30 AM

Explain the symptoms from the exact moment you noticed an issue.  For example, noticed my balance was zero. ...

Thank you.

Saw that I received BTC from mining co-op. I then went to check my blockchain app on iphone and attempted to update the balance. Nothing happened. I then logged into blockhain wallet on my ipad with 2FA and it flashed my balance (~.46 BTC) and then went to zero. I didn't think too much and tried to log back in, and same result. I then check my transactions, and it says I haven't made any...

The only thing different maybe was this afternoon I pressed a button on the blockchain iphone app by mistake ("new" under receive button" I don't normally press and I got an email from blockchain about a wallet backup.

dyland (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:25:55 AM

I can see my wallet here:

https://blockchain.info/address/1PoY1bpigWqqeTkY3XErUzJvKdNubPtRVS

So I don't know why it says zero balance and zero transactions when I log in>Huh

dyland (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:37:38 AM

Crisis averted......

I guess I somehow archived my receiving bitcoin address?

And that made it show up as zero balance.

Anyway I have access now and funds are all there.

jc01480

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

Nope..

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:51:36 AM

Good deal then.  Glad your BTC (and faith in BTC) is restored.  See you in the forums.  Take care.
Zooey

Activity: 241
Merit: 250

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:06:22 AM

Personally, I'd now send all your BTC to a new address and trash all the addresses of that wallet (which were backed up to your email).

If someone gains access to the backup that was emailed, either by hacking ya - or from sniffing it in transit (can you be sure it wasn't?) - your 2 factor auth no longer protects you (it's just for logging into the website) and an adversary simply has to brute force the encryption (password = your blockchain.info log in password when the file was generated).

Just sayin.

✘ www.NOTFORSALECAMPAIGN.org ✘
Human trafficking enslaves 30 million people: Join the movement to re-abolish slavery. | A 05:49s Vimeo |
Light

Activity: 742
Merit: 502

Circa 2010

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:51:34 AM

Personally, I'd now send all your BTC to a new address and trash all the addresses of that wallet (which were backed up to your email).

If someone gains access to the backup that was emailed, either by hacking ya - or from sniffing it in transit (can you be sure it wasn't?) - your 2 factor auth no longer protects you (it's just for logging into the website) and an adversary simply has to brute force the encryption (password = your blockchain.info log in password when the file was generated).

Just sayin.

Technically speaking he could 2FA both his Blockchain and email account and that would make it nearly impossible for a hacker to actually gain access to his wallet. I personally prefer cold storage systems, but I do admit that Blockchain is a useful hot wallet for making purchases and payments on the run, so I understand why people use it.
moni3z

Activity: 899
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:31:19 PM

I got the same email, didn't request a backup and suddenly got one. Mine isn't empty though
dyland (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 02:48:39 AM

Everything seems fine now....this was a strange and disconcerting experience to say the least. It seems that if you accidentally archive your BTC address on blockchain iPhone app that when you log back in with that address anywhere it shows up as zero balance and further that you have never made any transactions.

Can anyone confirm or deny this or provide explanation of what's going on here?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: