Bitcoin Forum
October 03, 2026, 06:23:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: notyas - open source esp32-p4 hardware wallet  (Read 85 times)
intnsity (OP)
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 5
Merit: 5


View Profile
August 18, 2026, 05:01:35 PM
Merited by Pmalek (3), ABCbits (1), Cricktor (1)
 #1

Hello,

I recently released BigDice (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5591590.msg67057383#msg67057383) and wanted to take it from airgapped pc to portable.

Now I am releasing notyas:
notyas is named after the recent coldcard hacks brought to us by coinkite, rodolfo novak, and peter gray. The goal is to make a dice-based signing tool which allows users to buy a device 1/4 the price of a coldcard, flash it themselves, and audit the code or build on it. notyas is a community tool. It is made with claude/opus so far and a little bit of glm5.2.

notyas 0.1.0 is on github (https://github.com/intnsity/notyas), I may need to change the URLs at some point or create a new repo. Inspect or audit the code yourself, build your own to flash, and please share any feedback or critiques. The goal at first was to build and flash something which could run BigDice and generate mnemonic seed on cheap hardware. This is 0.1.0. There are flaws nothing is signed for now and in 0.1.0 we don't yet burn the efuse (still learning about this).

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/intnsity/notyas/refs/heads/main/notyas-intro.png

I found some ESP32-P4 devices on amazon, one Waveshare ESP32-P4-WIFI6-Touch-LCD-4B, and one
ELECROW ESP32 Display 800x480, 5" HMI ESP32-P4. Each around $55.

So far these are really cool. They do each have a secondary esp32 wireless device which could be removed physically, notyas is supposed to not power this wireless chip. The touchscreens look amazing, and they are responsive. They are powered by USB-C and each have a second USB-C port which may be useful for offline signing.

The processing speed is reasonable the slowest part is generating xpubs and addresses, everything else is near instant.

In 0.2.0 I plan wallet management so a user can store and sign transactions offline on notyas. I can also put out signed packaged builds and sign the repo.

I am open to any feedback and will work on the project from time to time.
intnsity (OP)
Newbie
*
Offline

Activity: 5
Merit: 5


View Profile
August 23, 2026, 08:56:06 PM
 #2

I've released 0.2.3 with signed packages for an Elecrow and a Waveshare device: https://github.com/intnsity/notyas

Release is here with flashing instruction: https://github.com/intnsity/notyas/releases/tag/v0.2.3

The README at main link has some images and GIF of the mechanics.

Open to any feedback or improvements. Is GPL3 open source use however.
dkbit98
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3108
Merit: 8889



View Profile WWW
August 26, 2026, 10:00:04 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)
 #3

Before starting this project, have you actually checked other DIY signing devices like Krux or Seesigner?
I think Krux is also used esp32 devices, and this project is already active for several years.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice that you are experimenting and making your own stuff from scratch, but I think it could be better if you contributed to similar projects.
https://github.com/selfcustody/krux
https://github.com/odudex/Kern
https://github.com/SeedSigner

▄▄██████▄░░░▄██████▄▄
██▀▀░░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░░▀▀██
▄▄██████▄░▄██████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███░░░▄▄░░░█░░░▄▄░░░███▄
▄▄▄███░░░░██░░░░░░░██░░░░███▄▄▄
████████░░░░██░░░░░░░██░░░░████████
██████████░░░▀▀░░░█░░░▀▀░░░██████████
████▀▀██████▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄▄██████▀▀████
▀███▄░░▀▀███████████████████▀▀░░▄███▀
▀████▄▄░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀░░░░▄▄████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
▀▀█████████████████████▀▀
  
OrangeFren
  
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
  
▄▄█████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀████▄
███▀░░░░░░░▀███
███▀░░░▄█░░░░▀███
███░░░░░█░░░░░███
███▄░░░▄█▄░░░▄███
███▄░░░░░░░▄███
▀████▄▄▄████▀
█████████
▐█████████▌
█████░█████
▐████▌░▐████▌
▀▀░▀█░░░█▀░▀▀
 
Pmalek
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3640
Merit: 9602


View Profile
September 27, 2026, 08:24:08 AM
 #4

notyas is named after the recent coldcard hacks brought to us by coinkite, rodolfo novak, and peter gray. The goal is to make a dice-based signing tool which allows users to buy a device 1/4 the price of a coldcard, flash it themselves, and audit the code or build on it. notyas is a community tool. It is made with claude/opus so far and a little bit of glm5.2.
I personally wouldn't be comfortable using a signing device whose codebase was created with AI with any serious money. Playing around with it, checking out how it works, and experimenting is ok. We can already buy much cheaper hardware than the cost of a Coldcard and create DIY hardware signers with open-source software thanks to projects like SeedSigner, ShieldSigner, and Krux. I don't know how much their codebases have been inspected but more people have taken a look at them than a brand new community project. Regardless, I agree with dkbit98 here and think it's great that you are showing some initiative and creating your own project but I also think people should consider it very experimental.
ABCbits
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3752
Merit: 10398



View Profile
September 27, 2026, 10:32:55 AM
 #5

Before starting this project, have you actually checked other DIY signing devices like Krux or Seesigner?
I think Krux is also used esp32 devices, and this project is already active for several years.

Don't forget Blockstream Jade as well. They even include some guide if you want create DIY version on https://github.com/Blockstream/Jade/tree/master/diy.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!