...
I should've ignored it, especially after I saw your trust feedback, and rather had it reported, which someone else apparently did, as the post and my response were both deleted.
I agree and due to current high SSD prices a smart choice is in my opinion to use e.g. a smaller SSD, if that is what you already have, for everything except the block files and put blockchain data files on a HDD of your choice with at least 2TB size, e.g. via
blocksdir=/mnt/spinning-rust when your HDD is mounted to
/mnt/spinning-rust folder. Block files will then be in
/mnt/spinning-rust/blocks folder.
That way one can use e.g. a 250 or 500GB SSD for OS and Bitcoin node (wallets, indices, UTXO set in
chainstate folder and benefit from speed of the SSD and have the currently roughly 822GiB of block files on the HDD where its limited I/O performance doesn't hurt so much, assuming the node isn't bombarded with a lot of queries.
I will do this likely soon with one of my nodes where I moved the block files temporarily on an extra 1TB SATA SSD which will fill up in the not so distant future. The node was formerly running under Ubuntu on a 1TB SATA which ran out of space and I had to move off the block files to continue to use the system.
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1 960302096 861312392 89205712 91% /mnt/ssdplus
This will last likely another 11ish months or so. I'll replace the 1TB Sandisk SSD Plus with something like a 2.5inch HDD of at least 4TB size or so.