Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 07:20:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A Bitcoin Primer  (Read 3209 times)
mckoss (OP)

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 08:21:59 AM

i stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph in which you mention "digital drugs" preferentially over other more useful products to be bought with Bitcoin.  why does everyone have to always first mention this usage?

"In April 2011, Forbes Magazine’s Andy Greenberg wrote an article describing the qualities of Bitcoin: it cannot be forged or double-spent, controlled or inflated by any government; it is not impeded by international boundaries, and some digital drug-dealers have started accepting it."

even Greenberg in the article cited mentions other uses before talking about drugs.  in the paragraph immediately preceding the mention of drugs he says this:

"About $30,000 worth of Bitcoins change hands every day in electronic transactions, spent on Web-hosting, electronics, dog sweaters and alpaca socks."

Good point.  Is this better?

In April 2011, Forbes Magazine’s Andy Greenberg wrote an article describing the qualities of Bitcoin: it cannot be forged or double-spent, controlled or inflated by any government, it is not impeded by international boundaries, has a geek-friendly economy of $30,000 per day, and some digital drug-dealers have started accepting it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mckoss (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 05:14:12 PM

I've uploaded a new Bitcoin Primer PDF - based on @Clark's design, but now more compatible with different devices and smaller (using standard PDF fonts).
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 04:42:16 AM

i stopped reading after the 2nd paragraph in which you mention "digital drugs" preferentially over other more useful products to be bought with Bitcoin.  why does everyone have to always first mention this usage?

"In April 2011, Forbes Magazine’s Andy Greenberg wrote an article describing the qualities of Bitcoin: it cannot be forged or double-spent, controlled or inflated by any government; it is not impeded by international boundaries, and some digital drug-dealers have started accepting it."

even Greenberg in the article cited mentions other uses before talking about drugs.  in the paragraph immediately preceding the mention of drugs he says this:

"About $30,000 worth of Bitcoins change hands every day in electronic transactions, spent on Web-hosting, electronics, dog sweaters and alpaca socks."

In April 2011, Forbes Magazine’s Andy Greenberg wrote an article describing the qualities of Bitcoin: it cannot be forged or double-spent, controlled or inflated by any government, it is not impeded by international boundaries, and has a geek-friendly economy of $30,000 per day, and some digital drug-dealers have started accepting it.
mckoss (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 06:12:01 PM

In April 2011, Forbes Magazine’s Andy Greenberg wrote an article describing the qualities of Bitcoin: it cannot be forged or double-spent, controlled or inflated by any government, it is not impeded by international boundaries, and has a geek-friendly economy of $30,000 per day, and some digital drug-dealers have started accepting it.

I don't want to hide the fact that some people are using Bitcoin for illegal purchases.  It was a major component of Greenberg's story.  I don't think it needs to be the dominant point, but I don't think it should be excised completely.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:06:51 PM

fair enough. thanks for putting forth the effort to make this document.

I don't want to hide the fact that some people are using Bitcoin for illegal purchases.  It was a major component of Greenberg's story.  I don't think it needs to be the dominant point, but I don't think it should be excised completely.

fair enough.  thanks for putting this together.
mckoss (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 03, 2012, 06:52:26 AM

fair enough. thanks for putting forth the effort to make this document.

fair enough.  thanks for putting this together.

My pleasure - and thanks for the input!
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: