Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 08:11:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Doesn't every algo have an ASIC for it?  (Read 440 times)
precrime3 (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 03:14:51 PM

Since crypto currency is based off of, we'll cryptography, doesn't the government have an ASIC for every algorithm? Or is that just the major ones?

herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 03:17:17 PM

it's a question of economics. As soon as a coin is big enough so that it's profitable for there to be ASICs, there'll be ASICs.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
precrime3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 03:21:50 PM

it's a question of economics. As soon as a coin is big enough so that it's profitable for there to be ASICs, there'll be ASICs.

No I mean is th since the main purpose of cryptography was to encrypt messages, woudldnt the NSA have machines that could decrypt most algos and isn't that what ASICS do for mining? Decrypt a hash sum? Or am I terribly misled?

GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:27:11 PM

With time every popular algo will have an ASIC
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 07:43:22 PM

No I mean is th since the main purpose of cryptography was to encrypt messages, woudldnt the NSA have machines that could decrypt most algos and isn't that what ASICS do for mining? Decrypt a hash sum? Or am I terribly misled?
Are you suggesting the NSA is mining bitcoins? Cheesy
precrime3 (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 08:55:57 PM

No I mean is th since the main purpose of cryptography was to encrypt messages, wouldn't the NSA have machines that could decrypt most algos and isn't that what ASICS do for mining? Decrypt a hash sum? Or am I terribly misled?
Are you suggesting the NSA is mining bitcoins? Cheesy

No, stating they have the potential too, because in essence if you have a sha256 decryptor/encryptor, that would work as an ASIC mining rig right? You just have to reprogram it to accept work over a stratum protocol and your right as rain, unless I'm mistaken.

Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:56:40 PM

i hope so.  if not we should build them.  my god it's full of stars (hash rate)

i am here.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: