Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:04:13 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: "No Reserve" explanation  (Read 8963 times)
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

Activity: 490
Merit: 502

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:01:10 AM

I see upward momentum despite a massive amount of USD trapped in an insolvent bucket shop.  This is insanely bullish.

What I see is people buying without considering the implications of bitcoinica being insolvent.
I think whoever just bought those couple thousand coins is going to get burned badly.

Bitcoinica is never insolvent. We now have tens of thousands of Bitcoins, and that's it.

Too many people have long positions and we couldn't fulfill any more buy orders.

And now it has already been fixed. Buying and selling are normal now.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

Donations for my future Bitcoin projects: 19Uk3tiD5XkBcmHyQYhJxp9QHoub7RosVb

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:01:10 AM

can everyone see that massive $236,000 @ $3.90?

soon that is going to tumble over to the right and crush all the asks. they are getting impatient.
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:02:02 AM

soon that is going to tumble over to the right and crush all the asks. they are getting impatient.

Let's see $5 today or tomorrow! Grin

(BFL)^2 < 0
mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:02:17 AM

I see upward momentum despite a massive amount of USD trapped in an insolvent bucket shop.  This is insanely bullish.

What I see is people buying without considering the implications of bitcoinica being insolvent.
I think whoever just bought those couple thousand coins is going to get burned badly.

no, they are going to make a fortune as the price continues up to its equilibrium fundamental price which is MUCH higher than this.

are you short?

I don't use bitcoinica. I am 100% in USD right now though, as I have already mentioned a number of times, and have been discussing moving into fiat over the past couple of days. I'm not trying to sway opinion, just giving my own. I might be wrong, but all of my data was telling me to get out.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:03:25 AM

Bitcoinica is never insolvent. We now have tens of thousands of Bitcoins, and that's it.

Too many people have long positions and we couldn't fulfill any more buy orders.

that makes no sense.  if you have thousands of Bitcoins, why aren't you selling to all the ppl who have complained here on the Forum of not being able to buy or cover short positions?

listen up shorts who are caught not being able to cover;  Zhou just said he has thousands of Bitcoins that he's not selling to you to allow you out of your shorts...
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:04:13 AM

no, they are going to make a fortune as the price continues up to its equilibrium fundamental price which is MUCH higher than this.

are you short?

I don't use bitcoinica. I am 100% in USD right now though, as I have already mentioned a number of times, and have been discussing moving into fiat over the past couple of days. I'm not trying to sway opinion, just giving my own. I might be wrong, but all of my data was telling me to get out.

then you are a smart man.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:04:28 AM

LOL!  please think of a fix that will make everyone money.

Well, the best way for you to make money right now is to take advantage of the imminent long squeeze.

Why do you believe there will be a long squeeze?

IMO, it's the other way around:
-Because you can't buy BTC on Bitcoinica, anyone who wishes to buy BTC will need to buy them on on MtGox, leading to higher prices.
-Because you can't buy BTC on Bitcoinica, any bull with BTC will be LESS likely to sell because they can't re-buy them if they sell too low.

I don't see your logic.  If something is in short supply, its price goes up, not down.

Am I missing something?

no, you are not.  this prolonged rise in the market has placed Zhoutong in an untenable position IMO.  when you go long, he has to go short.  IMO he is caught in a massive short squeeze and is desperate to get you guys to either sell or go short to provide btc liquidity so he can cover his losing positions.  i think the dam has broken and his advice smacks of manipulation in the name of self preservation.

when are you guys going to learn?  problem after problem after problem keeps cropping up.  Bitcoinica is doomed.

Bitcoinica never trades against its customers. Price movements have almost no effect on my profits. However, our system couldn't process too many buy orders when our reserves were depleted. This has been fixed now because more people start selling.

I don't have to cover any losing positions. It's just a precautionary procedure to ensure that we don't have any losing positions when people are trading in one direction. Same thing can happen on the selling side too.

Founder of NameTerrific (https://www.nameterrific.com/). Co-founder of CoinJar (https://coinjar.io/)

mjcmurfy

Activity: 336

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:05:06 AM

And what about the invisible 200,000 bitcoins that have been mined over the past couple of weeks but not yet made it onto the exchanges? They could be insane bulls, I'll grant you, but I am of the opinion that they are just being greedy. Rationality will kick in soon.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:05:55 AM

that makes no sense.  if you have thousands of Bitcoins, why aren't you selling to all the ppl who have complained here on the Forum of not being able to buy or cover short positions?

listen up shorts who are caught not being able to cover;  Zhou just said he has thousands of Bitcoins that he's not selling to you to allow you out of your shorts...

No, Bitcoinica has a lot of Bitcoins, and when people want to buy on Bitcoinica, the system has to hedge by buying more Bitcoins.

So the system was out of USD, and we couldn't allow more buyers to buy.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:06:35 AM

Well, the best way for you to make money right now is to take advantage of the imminent long squeeze.

-Because you can't buy BTC on Bitcoinica, anyone who wishes to buy BTC will need to buy them on on MtGox, leading to higher prices.
-Because you can't buy BTC on Bitcoinica, any bull with BTC will be LESS likely to sell because they can't re-buy them if they sell too low.

I don't see your logic.  If something is in short supply, its price goes up, not down.

Am I missing something?

no, you are not.  this prolonged rise in the market has placed Zhoutong in an untenable position IMO.  when you go long, he has to go short.  IMO he is caught in a massive short squeeze and is desperate to get you guys to either sell or go short to provide btc liquidity so he can cover his losing positions.  i think the dam has broken and his advice smacks of manipulation in the name of self preservation.

when are you guys going to learn?  problem after problem after problem keeps cropping up.  Bitcoinica is doomed.

Bitcoinica never trades against its customers. Price movements have almost no effect on my profits. However, our system couldn't process too many buy orders when our reserves were depleted. This has been fixed now because more people start selling.

I don't have to cover any losing positions. It's just a precautionary procedure to ensure that we don't have any losing positions when people are trading in one direction. Same thing can happen on the selling side too.

wow, how many contradictions lie within those statements and the ones before.  i would stop talking if i were you...
trogdorjw73

Activity: 482
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:06:55 AM

I'm with mjcmurfy... these >$4 prices are frankly shocking to me and it means that I now am mining at a substantial profit rather than just barely covering power. I don't see them staying this high for long, but in the meantime I'll happily sell off all my mined coins and wait to buy back in at <$2.50.

ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:07:29 AM

I'm with mjcmurfy... these >$4 prices are frankly shocking to me and it means that I now am mining at a substantial profit rather than just barely covering power. I don't see them staying this high for long, but in the meantime I'll happily sell off all my mined coins and wait to buy back in at <$2.50.

Keep waiting, buddy.   Wink

(BFL)^2 < 0
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:07:58 AM

And what about the invisible 200,000 bitcoins that have been mined over the past couple of months but not yet made it onto the exchanges? They could be insane bulls, I'll grant you, but I am of the opinion that they are being greedy.

i am an insane bull but i am not greedy.  i will sell when the time comes at MUCH higher prices.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:10:00 AM

That couldn't have been one trade, there was price fluctuation as the 7k went thru the pipes.

+1

I saw at least 1k BTC worth the sells during that ramp.

that makes no sense.  if you have thousands of Bitcoins, why aren't you selling to all the ppl who have complained here on the Forum of not being able to buy or cover short positions?

listen up shorts who are caught not being able to cover;  Zhou just said he has thousands of Bitcoins that he's not selling to you to allow you out of your shorts...

He isn't selling them because they are held by his users in positions.  It makes perfect sense.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:10:38 AM

Am I missing something?

wow, how many contradictions lie within those statements and the ones before.  i would stop talking if i were you...

Sorry, it's only you with some terrible assumptions. I can't see any contradictions.

I'm always asking myself, could be cypherdoc never understands how Bitcoinica exactly works?

smickles

Activity: 446

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:12:12 AM

It seems to me that you are spreading FUD and coming to conclusions based on the fact that Z doesn't 'speak' perfect english.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:12:31 AM

Am I missing something?

Sorry, it's only you with some terrible assumptions. I can't see any contradictions.

I'm always asking myself, could be cypherdoc never understands how Bitcoinica exactly works?

but i am observant.  and i see problem after problem after problem.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:13:41 AM

It seems to me that you are spreading FUD and coming to conclusions based on the fact that Z doesn't 'speak' perfect english.

i think his English is excellent and there can be no confusion as to his terms.  they just contradict themselves.
zhoutong (OP)
VIP

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 04:14:15 AM

Am I missing something?

but i am observant.  and i see problem after problem after problem.

Care to point out?

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:15:40 AM

sure.  you have thousands of bitcoins on hand but you won't sell them or allow ppl to cover b/c you THINK there are too many long positions?  LOL.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: