I guess mining lost its spark, due to shrinking profitability, since big factors on that is the electricity cost goes up and that eats a lot in their operation. There are also other factor affects it and this is the reason many people shift their interest on something they can easy to handle.
Many gamble in memecoin, but this is actually another not reliable investment.
If they are interested with utility coins, maybe they should look at this top coins listed in this sites.
https://changelly.com/blog/best-cryptos-with-real-world-utility-to-buyhttp://utilitytoken.ioMining may have lost its spark, but that doesn't mean it'll die in the long run. For what I know, there are still areas where electricity is dirt-cheap. People living in such areas, will continue to mine PoW cryptocurrencies for profit. Given that most altcoins are switching to PoS, there's a high probability Bitcoin will remain the sole PoW crypto in the future.
I have to admit that utility coins are becoming scarcer each day. Everything's speculative right now. Things could change if more serious investors join the craze. With "Wall Street" now in the game, there's hope crypto will shift from being purely-speculative to being more utilitarian-driven. Only "meme" coins will remain speculative investments due to the way they're designed. The market changes quickly, so anything can be expected. In meantime, I'd suggest you "stick" with good-old cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, and Monero. They're most likely to last a lifetime.