I have come to understand that most government deviates from there constitutional duties as a government and goes at it pleases then without being questioned because the citizens at time do not know the primary purpose of government in every country, to start i will be pleased to outline some primary duties enshrined in the constitution.
Below are some of the primary purpose of every government. At first I will mention protection of lifes and properties of citizens, Provision of employment opportunities and so on. All this and many I didn't mention are all duties recognised constitutionally which most governments choose to deviate from because of their own reasons.
You have been able to capture some the major priorities of the government, which you caption their primary duties, of course those are their primary assignments, but I do no agree with you that the citizens do not know that those are supposed to be the major concerns of the government in a country, the thing is, the citizen has no say in some country, there voice is not heard, take for example those country there leaders rig themselves into power, what do you expect in such country? In some countries like mine, the labour union does not have power, judicial system is rottened, governance is crippled because the government at the center decides what happens, the states are been controlled from the center, no employment, no good health care, epileptic power, no good drinking water, no good roads, infact the people are seen as nothing.