Bitcoin Forum
September 30, 2026, 11:57:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is private keys enough to call wallet non custodial?  (Read 747 times)
notocactus
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3136
Merit: 5220


A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me


View Profile
September 29, 2026, 11:29:36 AM
 #61

Interesting! So the person that claimed that the reason people use Trust wallet is that they believe that if anything happens to their funds, Binance will likely step in is not totally wrong.
There's actually a lot of money in this industry.
They can have such belief based on what Binance have done so far in that exchange history since 2017 but we know that many things can change with a company. Binance have very good reputation in the cryptocurrency industry and if you have to find a most trusted one, perhaps it's Binance and many people will agree with your choice.

Nevertheless, it's not reason and guarantee that Binance will maintain its good operation and fairness to their users. I am not talking about hacks, compensations after hacks but you can see what has changed since Changpeng Zao stepped down as Binance CEO, then Richard Teng took over that position. In the latest market cycle, Binance loosened their criteria and listed many shitcoins and shit tokens. They even delisted coins and tokens just listed by their exchange several months ago, it did not happened with two and three previous market cycles.

It's a signal of their quality decline but maybe not yet enough to trigger their exchange collapse and death. Anyway as said, you will never know about the future as well as Binance future.

Dunamisx
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 1722
Merit: 610


View Profile
September 29, 2026, 12:39:18 PM
 #62

Your private key is what mainly differentiates a custodial wallet from a non-custodial wallet, while we can still make a distinction between a non-custodial wallet based on whether it is an open-source non-custodial wallet or a closed-source non-custodial wallet.

Imagine using an exchange where you will not be given access to your private keys; the exchange does, and this is one of the major criteria you will use in distinguishing between a platform that is custodial storage and another way of handling your coins under non-custodial storage using wallets.
AprilioMP
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 1260
Merit: 539


Bitcoin Forever


View Profile WWW
September 29, 2026, 01:35:07 PM
 #63

Even though I’m a bit late to the conversation, I want to reiterate that Trust Wallet is not a good wallet for storage. There’s no guarantee that your private keys are secure there. If a wallet offers trading features, it’s better to use a platform whose primary function is trading—that is, an exchange—rather than the wallet itself.
There are many factors to consider when using Trust Wallet. Remember, I’m not trying to say that Trust Wallet is bad, but many users have shared their experiences with it.
Personally I will not say Trust Wallet is bad since I have been using it for more than six years but of course it should be totally avoided as cold storage.

[edited out]

You've been using Trust Wallet for six years without any issues with your coins. If I may mention this, it's because there have been no issues with it for six years, but that doesn't mean it's safe. Trust Wallet isn't cold storage.

You can find sources that show the advantages of open-source wallets over closed-source ones. There are differences between open-source and closed-source wallets. Considering hacking cases, I can't say open-source wallets are safe either, as security lies in the user's hands.
I won't elaborate here, lest I be wrong and negatively impact the beginners here. My message to you: be careful.

R


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||.
|
▄▄████▄▄
▀█▀
▄▀▀▄▀█▀
▄▄░░▄█░██░█▄░░▄▄
▄▄█░▄▀█░▀█▄▄█▀░█▀▄░█▄▄
▀▄█░███▄█▄▄█▄███░█▄▀
▀▀█░░░▄▄▄▄░░░█▀▀
█░░██████░░█
█░░░░▀▀░░░░█
█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█
▄░█████▀▀█████░▄
▄███████░██░███████▄
▀▀██████▄▄██████▀▀
▀▀████████▀▀
.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
████████████░███████▀▄▀
████████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
████████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▀▄███░░░▀████░███▄▀██▄
███░████░░░░░▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄░░░░▀░████░███
███░████░███▄░░░░████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄░░███▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
SOUTHAMPTON FC
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
MisFoxie
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 322
Merit: 156



View Profile
September 29, 2026, 02:00:43 PM
 #64

You've been using Trust Wallet for six years without any issues with your coins. If I may mention this, it's because there have been no issues with it for six years, but that doesn't mean it's safe. Trust Wallet isn't cold storage.

....
I may have been using trust wallet for about six years but I have never kept funds in this wallet for more than a day. Since their latest update came I don’t use trust wallet anymore.

I am not calling trust wallet a cold storage what I meant was that it should not be considered as a cold storage. It is better to use a reputed hardware wallet. It was my mistake.

Tungbulu
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 910
Merit: 554


For your Graphic design and editing services | DM


View Profile WWW
September 29, 2026, 07:46:26 PM
 #65

You've been using Trust Wallet for six years without any issues with your coins. If I may mention this, it's because there have been no issues with it for six years, but that doesn't mean it's safe. Trust Wallet isn't cold storage.

You can find sources that show the advantages of open-source wallets over closed-source ones. There are differences between open-source and closed-source wallets. Considering hacking cases, I can't say open-source wallets are safe either, as security lies in the user's hands.
I won't elaborate here, lest I be wrong and negatively impact the beginners here. My message to you: be careful.
The real problem with some people is that they tend to judge a wallet by its history rather that really matters, which is how much control they actually have over their keys.  I agree that 6 years without complaints is actually reassuring, but that’s never a guarantee of what may happen in the coming years. I used to love Trust, because I didn’t know then about what open source is, but the moment I learned about Open Source wallets and that Trust wasn’t one, I literally lost the trust, I still use it once in a while but it’s not something I will use as a storage option.

sunsilk
Hero Member
*****
Online Online

Activity: 3794
Merit: 658



View Profile
September 29, 2026, 07:56:30 PM
 #66

Imagine using an exchange where you will not be given access to your private keys; the exchange does, and this is one of the major criteria you will use in distinguishing between a platform that is custodial storage and another way of handling your coins under non-custodial storage using wallets.
They will advertise it as a non custodial wallet but reading more about them will give you an understanding an idea that you shouldn't be wholly trusting them with your funds if you're going to use them for safe keeping.

While we're free in using their features for specific transactions that are not that big.

But if it's the other use that we can do with it, it's best to make sure that you will still use those wallets that have reputation in the community and have been tested for a long time.

 
 RAZED  
| 
 100% 
WELCOME
BONUS
│
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████▀░░░░▀███████
██████████▀░░▄▀▀▄░░▀█████
██████████▄▄██▄▄██▄░▀████
█████▀░░░░░░░▀██░░█░░████
████░░████▀▀█░░██▀░░▄████
████░░████▄▄█░░█░░▄██████
████░░█▀▀████░░██████████
████░░█▄▄███▀░░██████████
█████▄░░░░░░░▄███████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████▀▀░░░░░▀▀██████
████████▀░░▄▄█░░▀▄░░█████
██████▀░░▄█████▄░░▀░░████
█████░░▄████▄▀░░█▄▄░░████
████░░▄███▄▀░░▄▀██▀░░████
████░░▀▀██░░▄▀███▀░░█████
████░░▄░░▀█████▀░░▄██████
█████░░▀▄░░█▀▀░░▄████████
██████▄▄░░░░░▄▄██████████
█████████████████████████
█████████████████████
| 
 NO 
KYC
| 
  RAZE THE LIMITS   ► PLAY NOW     
Cookdata
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1495


Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin


View Profile
September 29, 2026, 08:35:04 PM
 #67

Imagine using an exchange where you will not be given access to your private keys; the exchange does, and this is one of the major criteria you will use in distinguishing between a platform that is custodial storage and another way of handling your coins under non-custodial storage using wallets.

If centralized exchanges should provide a system where private key will be required to withdraw money from the exchanges, it will make no difference and not even safe. Private keys are meant to be off cloud. The day the hackers will get access to the cloud storage, it's going to be a massive withdrawal from the exchange. This is why I dislike wallets that back up seed phrase to cloud storage, not a good option for wallet back.


I am not calling trust wallet a cold storage what I meant was that it should not be considered as a cold storage. It is better to use a reputed hardware wallet. It was my mistake.

Trust wallet is not a cold storage, it's a hot wallet. Cold wallet are considered as wallet with private keys offline, they are not connected to the internet while hot wallet private keys are online. Trust wallet fall in the hot wallet category.

Aside the fact that trust wallet is a closed source, I wouldn't use it because of the frequent verified and unverified complaint from people and the poor features on the wallet. How do people used a wallet without fee estimation and coin control, that's the least features a wallet is supposed to have and they have none.

Nanga Parbat
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 1092
Merit: 543


Enjoy the beauty of nature 😊


View Profile WWW
September 29, 2026, 11:28:34 PM
 #68

It's not a good wallet to use, not only for storage because saying like you did can make people thinking like if they only use Trust wallet for swaps, it's good. It's only bad and not recommended for long term storage, and if people think this way, they're wrong and will make terrible practice.

Storage starts immediately at a time you fund a wallet, risk appears since that wallet topping up time. If you store your fund in a wallet a longer time, it has bigger risk especially with Trust wallet.
I agreed with you  about this because I also never been recommended anyone to use trust wallet for bitcoin accumulation its never been going to be good for holding or accumulation due to its features which are never been reliable but peoples those are always looking for swap they can use this but never store your coins in this wallet for better security and safety.

Having any good wallet like Electrum or hardware is always working well for just Bitcoin, while if someone is interested in more coins, then it needs to be worked out, and always prefer your safety; never compromise on this, otherwise it could be a problem and a great chance of losing your funds. In the current era, the safety of your wallet and having enough knowledge about your wallet are some of the tough challenges. People need to never have any weak points if they want to live securely.

 
█▄
R


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT▀█ 
  THE #1 SOLANA CASINO  
████████████▄
▀▀██████▀▀███
██▄▄▀▀▄▄█████
█████████████
█████████████
███▀█████████
▀▄▄██████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
█████████████
████████████▀
████████████▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
█████████████
▄████████████
██▄██████████
████▄████████
█████████████
█░▀▀█████████
▀▀███████████
█████▄███████
████▀▄▀██████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
████████████▀
........5,000+........
GAMES
 
......INSTANT......
WITHDRAWALS
..........HUGE..........
REWARDS
 
............VIP............
PROGRAM
 .
   PLAY NOW    
PX-Z
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1402



View Profile WWW
September 29, 2026, 11:30:59 PM
 #69

...
Aside the fact that trust wallet is a closed source, I wouldn't use it because of the frequent verified and unverified complaint from people and the poor features on the wallet. How do people used a wallet without fee estimation and coin control, that's the least features a wallet is supposed to have and they have none.
To be fair, trustwallet is good web3 wallet aside from metamask who has shitty blocked list and doesnt want to double check if its legitimate or not or phishing site and doesnt want to hear if you request for whitelist, but that's different issue.
Its just that, trustwallet is a very bad bitcoin wallet, its the very last option when considering a bitcoin wallet. If im one of the developer i'll drop the support of bitcoin on its wallet. That's why its still popular wallet despite of the recent hack and so many complaints, because of lots of features for tokens and web3 and very convenient for the type of usage.

.◼.◼.Vega.bet.◼.◼.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

...100 FS + 750% BONUS..MAX.WIN.$5,000...

███...FAST PAYOUTS  |  NO KYC  |  10% LOSSBACK...███
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██

...Play Now...
notocactus
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3136
Merit: 5220


A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me


View Profile
Today at 02:58:47 AM
 #70

To be fair, trustwallet is good web3 wallet aside from metamask who has shitty blocked list and doesnt want to double check if its legitimate or not or phishing site and doesnt want to hear if you request for whitelist, but that's different issue.
Its just that, trustwallet is a very bad bitcoin wallet, its the very last option when considering a bitcoin wallet. If im one of the developer i'll drop the support of bitcoin on its wallet. That's why its still popular wallet despite of the recent hack and so many complaints, because of lots of features for tokens and web3 and very convenient for the type of usage.
Cryptocurrency exchanges, cryptocurrency accepted casinos, cryptocurrency wallets and even scammers know that Bitcoin is a biggest cryptocurrency and has biggest communities as well as adoption, so they always try to use Bitcoin as a hook to attract people to their platforms or scams.

If it is possible to add Bitcoin to a cryptocurrency wallet, I am quite sure that developers will not hesitate to do that and will never consider of idea to remove Bitcoin from a wallet.

With scammers, they have other reasons to do that: Bitcoin has very strong survivability and is able to not only maintain its price but make new all time highs. Scammers know that if they successfully scam victims, get bitcoins, they can hold bitcoins a long time for making their scam funds bigger.

AprilioMP
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 1260
Merit: 539


Bitcoin Forever


View Profile WWW
Today at 06:03:22 AM
 #71

You've been using Trust Wallet for six years without any issues with your coins. If I may mention this, it's because there have been no issues with it for six years, but that doesn't mean it's safe. Trust Wallet isn't cold storage.

....
I may have been using trust wallet for about six years but I have never kept funds in this wallet for more than a day. Since their latest update came I don’t use trust wallet anymore.

[edited out]
The real problem with some people is that they tend to judge a wallet by its history rather that really matters, which is how much control they actually have over their keys.  I agree that 6 years without complaints is actually reassuring, but that’s never a guarantee of what may happen in the coming years. I used to love Trust, because I didn’t know then about what open source is, but the moment I learned about Open Source wallets and that Trust wasn’t one, I literally lost the trust, I still use it once in a while but it’s not something I will use as a storage option.

Unlucky days aren't written on the calendar. Six years without any issues doesn't guarantee it will remain secure.

Just to find out how unproblematic Trust Wallet is, but using it as asset storage is the beginning of the problems that will arise. There are already many excellent software wallets available for storage. The availability of many good wallets actually makes it easier for users to choose, avoiding having to settle for a wallet that has received poor reviews from long-time users.

R


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
||.
|
▄▄████▄▄
▀█▀
▄▀▀▄▀█▀
▄▄░░▄█░██░█▄░░▄▄
▄▄█░▄▀█░▀█▄▄█▀░█▀▄░█▄▄
▀▄█░███▄█▄▄█▄███░█▄▀
▀▀█░░░▄▄▄▄░░░█▀▀
█░░██████░░█
█░░░░▀▀░░░░█
█▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄█
▄░█████▀▀█████░▄
▄███████░██░███████▄
▀▀██████▄▄██████▀▀
▀▀████████▀▀
.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
████████████░███████▀▄▀
████████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
████████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▀▄███░░░▀████░███▄▀██▄
███░████░░░░░▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄░░░░▀░████░███
███░████░███▄░░░░████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄░░███▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
SOUTHAMPTON FC
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!