I know my opinion is a bit unpopular here, but I think in this kind of criticism there is a bit of truth, because Bitcoin mining could be powered with an even higher percentage of renewables / nuclear. Today, 60% renewables + nuclear is not a particularly high proportion. If Bitcoin was mined only in a country like Brazil it would have a much more "climate friendly" footprint.
Countries have very different energy resources and with different support or anti Bitcoin policies, Bitcoin mining will be able to operate legally, and possible to use more or less climatic friendly energy resources. Bhutan has their national and governmental investment into Bitcoin mining with energy from hydropower, and they have reasons to do that with abundant hydropower in their nation.
Other nations might have less "climatic friendly" energy resources and their governments might be more anti-Bitcoin, and these things are barriers for Bitcoin mining as well as which energy resources to be used.
But the variant of this "criticism" I consider definitely wrong was the campaign by Greenpeace "Clean up Bitcoin" ("Change the code, not the climate"), where they called for an introduction of PoS instead of PoW. Somebody should have explained them that PoS is a more traditional system where some trust is required in the nodes you download the blockchain from ("weak subjectivity") and thus the system has different vulnerabilities and is systematically more centralized and less censorship resistant ...
PoS will make things centralized, and I dislike this proposal. I believe people who are in Bitcoin community a long time enough will know PoW is an important contributor of Bitcoin decentralization, and they also dislike PoS proposal.
End the fud: PoW vs PoS?