Was it Telegram's own project known as TON? I remember I used to write articles about it because of the hype created by Telegram.
No, it wasnt TON. That one at least had some real development behind it. The one I got into was pure hype with almost nothing solid. Just another Telegram group pushing it hard.
Good decision! Never go for FOMO. Let the market react first, then think about investing your money. I still believe only the top 10 coins on CMC have the potential to give more than 10x returns if a person has patience and diamond hands.
You are right about waiting for market to react first. Most of the time early rush is where biggest losses happen. I still keep small part for higher risk stuff, but main focus stays on Bitcoin and few established names. Patience has worked better than chasing every new thing.