Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 03:38:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 Bitcoin Donation for Help Figuring Out Offline Wallet  (Read 3997 times)
CCG (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:11:57 PM

A good friend of mine recently past away at the age of 19 and he was heavily involved in the Bitcoin world. He was paranoid of someone taking his efforts so he created an offline wallet to store his bitcoins. The day he was at the hospital he gave me a paper and said this is all you will need to access the coins.  He passed away that same day and I have no idea of how to access.  We have tried Bitaddress.org without success, but I do remember him talking about cold storage, offline only,  etc..   I will Donate 4 Bitcoins BTC to anyone that can help figure out how to access the coins.  The string of numbers look like this (example):
K-JKLSAIB521732

This is how it is written down on the paper.  He said this is all we would need to access the coins.
Any help is appreciated and with success I will Donate 4 Bitcoins BTC
Thanks,
CCG

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4465

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:14:36 PM
Last edit: April 06, 2014, 08:31:03 PM by franky1

what software was he using. if you can get his family to allow you to use his computer. all may be revealed.

for instance http://armoryguide.com/restoring-test-wallet/

i am not saying it is armory. im just saying having access to his computer will help you solve the issue, as you can limit it to the software he uses.

as for offering a bounty. i find that to be very steep, alot of people give advice for free. $2000 is alot just for advice. very tempting to many people, but at the same time a needless expense.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
mgburks77

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:17:30 PM

A good friend of mine recently past away at the age of 19 and he was heavily involved in the Bitcoin world. He was paranoid of someone taking his efforts so he created an offline wallet to store his bitcoins. The day he was at the hospital he gave me a paper and said this is all you will need to access the coins.  He passed away that same day and I have no idea of how to access.  We have tried Bitaddress.org without success, but I do remember him talking about cold storage, offline only,  etc..   I will Donate 4 Bitcoins BTC to anyone that can help figure out how to access the coins.  The string of numbers look like this (example):
XXXXXXXXXXXX
K-XXXXXXXXXX

This is how it is written down on the paper.  He said this is all we would need to access the coins.
Thanks,
CCG

do not publish your public key on this website.

You can look up your address on the blockchain explorer and find out how many btc he had. Get a coinbase account at Coinbase.com if you would like to convert to USD

then you can transmit the bitcoins to your coinbase wallet address from the addres of the cold wallet and sell them for dollars.

this is my address if you want to send donation:
    1MPErsnCbTfpbavRLACnFmVFY1Xz6ZVWAG

sorry about your friend, that sucks
mgburks77

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:21:02 PM

look up the address here:
https://blockchain.info/
mgburks77

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:23:46 PM

btw one of those numbers is the address and the other is the private key. Do you understand which is which?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:23:57 PM

A good friend of mine recently past away at the age of 19 and he was heavily involved in the Bitcoin world. He was paranoid of someone taking his efforts so he created an offline wallet to store his bitcoins. The day he was at the hospital he gave me a paper and said this is all you will need to access the coins.  He passed away that same day and I have no idea of how to access.  We have tried Bitaddress.org without success, but I do remember him talking about cold storage, offline only,  etc..   I will Donate 4 Bitcoins BTC to anyone that can help figure out how to access the coins.  The string of numbers look like this (example):
K-JKLSAIB521732

This is how it is written down on the paper.  He said this is all we would need to access the coins.
Thanks,
CCG

If you want some help, you can contact me via PM.  I don't require any reward, donation, or payment for providing assistance to members of the bitcoin community.

Those numbers and characters that you've posted don't immediately stand out to me as being anything useful, but it is possible that either you modified them too much when attempting to create an example or that they are passwords used in some other process (such as a brain wallet).

Josepht

Activity: 1008
Merit: 515

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 08:35:08 PM

1. Download the blockchain app
2. Create an account
3. Click on options
4. 'Scan private key'
5. Done. They are in your wallet now.
mgburks77

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 08:35:57 PM

actually you should probably PM Danny

I haven't been on this site long but I do know he is considered a trustworthy dude by many.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1131

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2014, 08:51:10 PM

I am sorry to hear about your friend.  Since Danny offered first to help you I suggest you send him a personal message and if anyone can help you it would be him.

I do have a question for you:  Do you happen to know if your friend was a member of these forums?  If so, do you happen to know his username here?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
CCG (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:17:57 PM

Franky, I feel that a 4 BitcoinBTC donation is fair. We have jumped into the Bitcoin community and we have been mining for over a month.  If someone can recognize the numbers and it works to be able to access the actual address then I would be happy to share.  I also have given free advice to others and I believe in karma, but in this instance I understand that time is money and I would love to get this figured out.  Danny, those numbers I shared are the right amount just changed them up, but they are the correct amount.  So 12 numbers on the first line, and 8 Capital letters and 6 numbers on the second line.  We have tried bitaddress.org and use the numbers to create an address, but that didn't work.  I haven't tried Armory, but someone on reddit said he didn't think it was Armory. 
coiner8

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:31:22 PM

I would recommend first trying to get access to his email account.  That will allow you to see what services he had user accounts on, and if he was subscribed to any software mailing lists.  He also may have sent himself a copy of the encrypted wallet.  Check in the Sent and Drafts folders.  Also check Google Drive/Dropbox/Box.com/etc.  See if he had any backup software running on his computer that might have a copy of the wallet file online.

I know you said he mentioned cold storage, but there's cold and then there's cold-ish, and I'm guessing most people actually do cold-ish and keep an encrypted backup file somewhere.

P.S. You said you're offering 4 BTC.  Do you know about how much he has in the wallet?  In could be easily be less than that.

Edit: Also, are you sure it's stored as Bitcoins?  Was he into altcoins at all?  If he was into NXT it could be a NXT password (being on two lines would be weird though).
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 09:33:58 PM

Franky, I feel that a 4 BitcoinBTC donation is fair. We have jumped into the Bitcoin community and we have been mining for over a month.  If someone can recognize the numbers and it works to be able to access the actual address then I would be happy to share.  I also have given free advice to others and I believe in karma, but in this instance I understand that time is money and I would love to get this figured out.  Danny, those numbers I shared are the right amount just changed them up, but they are the correct amount.  So 12 numbers on the first line, and 8 Capital letters and 6 numbers on the second line.  We have tried bitaddress.org and use the numbers to create an address, but that didn't work.  I haven't tried Armory, but someone on reddit said he didn't think it was Armory. 

It would help a lot if he ever mentioned where or how he preferred to store his bitcoins.

The number could be a userID to some website, and the capital letters with numbers could be a password to that same website.

It could also be authentication information (or decryption passwords) to some software he might be running on his computer where he may have his private keys stored.

As BurtW has mentioned, if your friend was a bitcointalk.org member, he may have participated in some discussions that would shed light on what the information on that paper represents.

Was the information on the paper printed with an inkjet printer, or was it hand written?
CCG (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:19:58 PM

Coiner8, yes it is Bitcoin.  I know how much was in the wallet. 4 BitcoinBTC is a fair deal for help with this. I feel that If I go 4 Bitcoin then someone that might recognize the keys and be able to help. Over the last month I have mined for Bitcoin, PeerCoin, BetaCoin, ShaCoin, etc..  So I do understand all the AltCoins. 
Thanks
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:28:02 PM

paranoia will kill ya.  i keep telling people.

i am here.
WetSeals

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:31:06 PM

Mac or Windows computer?

Do you know the address, or any transactions he made that we can get the address from?
CCG (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:45:11 PM

Mac or Windows computer?

Do you know the address, or any transactions he made that we can get the address from?

He had a few different wallets. He keep a Chromebook that was never online in a Safety Deposit Box.  He gave me this paper wallet with those string of numbers. I know he didn't like going online.
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:46:47 PM

There is also the possibility that ccg is trying to steal from someone's wallet. We don't know him from Adam so how can we be sure? The 4BTC bounty makes me suspicious that he either a) doesn't value the coins because he stole them rather than earned them or b) he has no intention of paying out. Also what kind of person hands over some weird numbers that will unlock his wallet without any sort of explanation as to how to use them?
mgburks77

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:47:07 PM

Mac or Windows computer?

He had a few different wallets. He keep a Chromebook that was never online in a Safety Deposit Box.  He gave me this paper wallet with those string of numbers. I know he didn't like going online.

That is is his cold storage and that is probably user name and password for the  chrome book
mgburks77

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 10:48:22 PM

There is also the possibility that ccg is trying to steal from someone's wallet. We don't know him from Adam so how can we be sure? The 4BTC bounty makes me suspicious that he either a) doesn't value the coins because he stole them rather than earned them or b) he has no intention of paying out. Also what kind of person hands over some weird numbers that will unlock his wallet without any sort of explanation as to how to use them?

could be
CCG (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2014, 11:12:10 PM

Seriously? It's not a bounty. It's a donation. Do you wan't me to send you the website remembering my friend. Not all people bad. Let me publicly post information trying to do something wrong. I am sorry you think that. Also, we mine coins currently and I feel that a 4 Bitcoin Donation would draw more interest in trying to help me out. I am more than happy to privately talk to you regarding any information you want.  I never thought of asking him while he was in the hospital to show my how to access them. People have more courtesy than that, or at least I do.  You need to trust people a little more. Yes, when I first jumped into the Bitcoin Community (because of my friend) I was Scammed out of a Big Chunk of money out of China. Am I still upset about this, Yes.  But not all people are bad. If you can help, I would be happy to donate to you.
Thanks for the input.
CCG
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: