Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2026, 03:47:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [WARNING] Grading Redeemed Coins  (Read 280 times)
minerjones (OP)
Mantis
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4074
Merit: 4327



View Profile
October 06, 2026, 12:54:32 PM
Merited by chronicsky (3), OgNasty (1)
 #1

I recently bought a redeemed Casascius 25 BTC coin to add to my collection.

It came with the hologram still "attached" to where it still stuck to the coin when out of the capsule

I sent it into NGC to be graded and they sent it back with no hologram.... yet there are still first-bits on the slab. Huh

Now how can a coin with no hologram have first bits?

NGC claims it might have not been included or lost and will not reimburse me due to their "Fragile Coin" policy.



BEFORE GRADING:



AFTER GRADING:

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|  BTC     XMR  
  DAI     LTC  
   Fees  0.8%    
Rymaster
Member
**
Offline

Activity: 508
Merit: 48

-Squidster-


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 01:47:07 PM
 #2

Jeez how disheartening, after I’m sure you went out of your way to obtain a coin with a hologram vs without. Clearly NGC had the hologram at some point also, as you pointed out with them including the firstbits.

Join us over in the Reddit group!  www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCollectibles
rsincognito
Copper Member
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 1218
Merit: 183


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 04:06:19 PM
 #3

this is so sad, sorry bro =(. 
krogoth
Full Member
***
Offline

Activity: 1474
Merit: 226


Krogothmanhattan alt account


View Profile WWW
October 06, 2026, 04:30:03 PM
Merited by minerjones (2), OgNasty (1)
 #4

Another reason for me not sending any coins for grading

[ ζ ]   Z E T O   [ ζ ]   Z E T O   [ ζ ]   Z E T O   [ ζ ]   Z E T O   [ ζ ]   Z E T O   [ ζ ]
N o n - c u s t o d i a l   B T C   →   X M R   a t o m i c   s w a p s
███████  |       NO KYC       |   NO ACCOUNTS   |     0.7% FEE     |  ███████
timbodine
Member
**
Offline

Activity: 196
Merit: 20


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 04:53:57 PM
 #5

Bush league
alandelon
Member
**
Offline

Activity: 366
Merit: 36


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 05:08:28 PM
 #6

Hi MinerJones, I’m really sorry. I can’t believe they could be so incompetent. Why didn’t you get it graded by PCGS?
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary
*
Online Online

Activity: 2954
Merit: 3673


EIN: 82-3893490


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 05:36:23 PM
 #7

I wonder...

if you send them an unredeemed coin and the holo goes "missing" does it still count as not their liability due to their "Fragile Coin" policy?

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|..BTC......XMR...
..USDT.....LTC...
....Fees  0.8%.....
2stout
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 3234
Merit: 805



View Profile
October 06, 2026, 05:48:33 PM
 #8

Hi MinerJones, I’m really sorry. I can’t believe they could be so incompetent. Why didn’t you get it graded by PCGS?

PCGS isn't really any better:  They charge 2- 3x more, mess up label descriptions, and even damaged a note of mine by creasing a corner.  My saving grace was I had before pics showing no damage to it in the protective holder with the Submission and Line # sticker affixed; however, although agreed up, reimbursement has been slow and not received yet.  And, don't get me started on inconsistent grading.

▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
██████████▀▄▄▄▀██████████
█████████░█████░█████████
████████▀▀░▄▄▄░▀█████████
███████░░░█████░░░███████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
███████░░░█████░░░███████
████████▄▄░▀▀▀░▄█████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
 
 Lock.com 
█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█▄▄
▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▄▄█
█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█▄▄
▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▄▄█
 
  Open − code isolated Crypto Wallet     Sign Up    
minerjones (OP)
Mantis
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4074
Merit: 4327



View Profile
October 06, 2026, 06:08:56 PM
 #9

Hi MinerJones, I’m really sorry. I can’t believe they could be so incompetent. Why didn’t you get it graded by PCGS?

PCGS isn't really any better:  They charge 2- 3x more, mess up label descriptions, and even damaged a note of mine by creasing a corner.  My saving grace was I had before pics showing no damage to it in the protective holder with the Submission and Line # sticker affixed; however, although agreed up, reimbursement has been slow and not received yet.  And, don't get me started on inconsistent grading.

I agree with you 100%. Seemingly taking longer and longer for their so called "Express" service
At least NGC is cheaper and better turn-around times

Labeling is the most frustrating part of all of this, as all of the grading companies tend to put whatever they want regardless of what is shown and stated on the submission forms.
I have even gone to the length of printed out whole sheets of paper identifying coins/notes with highlighted parts... and still disregarded.
And then things have to be resubmitted which incurs more time, fees and shipping costs.....  Sad

Being all of this, going forward I am no longer grading any coins for myself or anyone else
Happy to be a sport and give away a few PCGS or NGC memberships if anyone is interested Smiley

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|  BTC     XMR  
  DAI     LTC  
   Fees  0.8%    
Kialara
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 580
Merit: 848


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 06:09:45 PM
Merited by Cyrus (3)
 #10

That really sucks, especially since the missing hologram clearly hurts the value of the coin. The fact that NGC recorded the First Bits on the label seems like pretty strong evidence that it was there when they received it. If it disappeared while the coin was in their possession, I think they owe you for the loss in value and should refund the submission fee too. Speaking as someone who runs a company, if that happened to one of my customers, I wouldn’t even question it - I’d make them whole however I could. I’ve had my own frustrations with NGC too, so unfortunately this doesn’t totally surprise me, but regardless, in your situation I think they should do the right thing and make you whole.
ClearSky8
Member
**
Offline

Activity: 253
Merit: 23


View Profile
October 06, 2026, 09:08:32 PM
 #11

Sorry to hear, MJ. That’s a real shame. There should definitely be some accountability on NGC’s part. Since these are ongoing submission and quality control issues, it should be brought to the attention of those in charge.
I’ve argued with them over sloppy work and errors as well. And I suggest email to Scott Schechter, Chief Numismatist and Senior Vice President, Grading - quality issues and or Ben Wengel, Chief Grader and Senior Vice President, World Coins ( Otoh collection ran through him at World Coins, I believe  ) to relay events.
2stout
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 3234
Merit: 805



View Profile
October 07, 2026, 01:13:42 AM
 #12

Hi MinerJones, I’m really sorry. I can’t believe they could be so incompetent. Why didn’t you get it graded by PCGS?

PCGS isn't really any better:  They charge 2- 3x more, mess up label descriptions, and even damaged a note of mine by creasing a corner.  My saving grace was I had before pics showing no damage to it in the protective holder with the Submission and Line # sticker affixed; however, although agreed up, reimbursement has been slow and not received yet.  And, don't get me started on inconsistent grading.

I agree with you 100%. Seemingly taking longer and longer for their so called "Express" service
At least NGC is cheaper and better turn-around times

Labeling is the most frustrating part of all of this, as all of the grading companies tend to put whatever they want regardless of what is shown and stated on the submission forms.
I have even gone to the length of printed out whole sheets of paper identifying coins/notes with highlighted parts... and still disregarded.
And then things have to be resubmitted which incurs more time, fees and shipping costs.....  Sad

Being all of this, going forward I am no longer grading any coins for myself or anyone else
Happy to be a sport and give away a few PCGS or NGC memberships if anyone is interested Smiley

As far as the labeling, I 150% understand your frustration as it results in colossal wastes of time, energy, and money also.  I've also gone through great lengths with notes, explanations, and such.  What I have found that has hands down been most effective and worked the best is providing both PCGS and NGC with mock ups.  I would take pics, edits texts, and use AI to get as close as possible to how the slab should look.  Pain in the ass- yes, totally worth it- absolutely IMHO as the error and return rates dropped beyond significant.  

Here's a PCGS example- mock up I sent and slab received back respectively.

My Mock Up                                                                                                  Actual Slab received back from grading
   



▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
██████████▀▄▄▄▀██████████
█████████░█████░█████████
████████▀▀░▄▄▄░▀█████████
███████░░░█████░░░███████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
███████░░░█████░░░███████
████████▄▄░▀▀▀░▄█████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
 
 Lock.com 
█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█▄▄
▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▄▄█
█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█▄▄
▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▄▄█
 
  Open − code isolated Crypto Wallet     Sign Up    
MoparMiningLLC
aka Stryfe
Legendary
*
Online Online

Activity: 2954
Merit: 3673


EIN: 82-3893490


View Profile
October 07, 2026, 01:14:55 AM
 #13

also is it me - or is that label crooked af? rather the text is or no?

@2stout that is a great mock up - but sad when you have to tell and show them how to do it and then pay them to do it as well...

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|..BTC......XMR...
..USDT.....LTC...
....Fees  0.8%.....
2stout
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 3234
Merit: 805



View Profile
October 07, 2026, 01:25:04 AM
 #14

also is it me - or is that label crooked af? rather the text is or no?

@2stout that is a great mock up - but sad when you have to tell and show them how to do it and then pay them to do it as well...

@Mopar- Thx!  It is a damn shame it has come to this but it seems to be way that has so far yielded by far the best results.

▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
██████████▀▄▄▄▀██████████
█████████░█████░█████████
████████▀▀░▄▄▄░▀█████████
███████░░░█████░░░███████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
██████░░░▐█████▌░░░██████
███████░░░█████░░░███████
████████▄▄░▀▀▀░▄█████████
█████████████████████████
▀███████████████████████▀
 
 Lock.com 
█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█▄▄
▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▄▄█
█▀▀
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█▄▄
▀▀█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
█
▄▄█
 
  Open − code isolated Crypto Wallet     Sign Up    
dozerz
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2332
Merit: 1117



View Profile
October 07, 2026, 08:31:58 AM
 #15

this sux and just confirms to me not to send these jokers your coins, ms60 also? way to go in decreasing the value but adding the firstbits to the label, fail Sad

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|  BTC     XMR  
  DAI     LTC  
   Fees  0.8%    
aoluain
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 3136
Merit: 1774



View Profile WWW
October 07, 2026, 08:33:01 AM
 #16

Thats disappointing and unsatisfactory all round.

I'm thinking it could be a number of things:

Their staff lack the attention to detail the collectors require
The graders have no love or enthusiasm for their work
They are under staffed for the amount of work expected

@mj - I wonder is there a chance the holo got detached before it reached the grader,
stuck in the packaging?

You would think they would know at this stage that the holo was an integral part of
the coun itself, unless it was handled by a newbie?

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|..BTC......XMR...
..USDT.....LTC...
....Fees  0.8%.....
minerjones (OP)
Mantis
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4074
Merit: 4327



View Profile
October 07, 2026, 11:27:33 AM
 #17

@mj - I wonder is there a chance the holo got detached before it reached the grader,
stuck in the packaging?

Coins are always submitted in plastic flips... they hold the coin pretty snug/securely inside
Zero idea/reason why the coin and hologram would have been removed before they got to the grader.

Having the first bits on the slab clearly show they had the hologram at some point in the process and then just lost it... 
Who know... maybe when they slabbed the coin it came off Huh
I know they jet the coins with some compressed air to get off all particulates before sealing them.

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|  BTC     XMR  
  DAI     LTC  
   Fees  0.8%    
Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!