Bitcoin Forum
October 08, 2026, 06:06:07 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 31.1 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange value for difficulty in getblockchaininfo  (Read 165 times)
NotATether (OP)
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2478
Merit: 10373


┻┻ ︵㇏(°□°㇏)


View Profile WWW
October 07, 2026, 01:24:58 PM
 #1

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature of Bitcoin Core, but apparently when the initial block download finishes syncing, it sometimes emits a hardcoded or dummy value for difficulty?


{
  "chain": "main",
  "blocks": 970155,
  "headers": 970155,
  "bestblockhash": "000000000000000000008b15de051d9225324208a7ab0f167e92aab766fa33ef",
  "difficulty": 123456789012345.67,
  "time": 1791281477,
  "mediantime": 1791276922,
  "verificationprogress": 1,
  "initialblockdownload": true,
  "chainwork": "000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000a83d7655dde2f94d7e2e0",
  "size_on_disk": 2491382915,
  "pruned": true,
  "pruneheight": 558358,
  "automatic_pruning": true,
  "prune_target_size": 6463886300,
  "warnings": [
  ]
}

This person's node had normal difficulty difficulty and chainwork values previously. This chainwork has slightly more zeroes that puts it over 64 chars, and in fact I have observed some other people's chainwork values, and they also have more or less zeroes than the 64-character length. So what gives?

▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄███████▀▀██████▀▀███████▄
█████▀██████████████▀█████
████████▄▄██████▄▄████▀███

██████████████████████████
██▄▄██████████████▄▄██████
██▀▀██████████████████▄▄██
██████▀▀██████████████▀▀██
██████████████████████████
███▄████▀▀██████▀▀████████
█████▄██████████████▄█████
▀███████▄▄██████▄▄███████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
 
 DΞX.fo 
▄▄██████
█████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
█████████
▀▀██████

▄███████
▄██████████
████████████
█████████████
█████████████
|
▄▄█
▄████▀
▄███▀█▄
▄██▀█▄██
█████▀▀█
████████
████████
▀██▄████
▄████▄▄█
▄█████▀███
▄█████▀████▀
█████▀███████
▀██▀█████████
|..BTC......XMR...
..USDT.....LTC...
....Fees  0.8%.....
LoyceV
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 4186
Merit: 22898


Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021


View Profile WWW
October 07, 2026, 02:47:52 PM
 #2

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature of Bitcoin Core, but apparently when the initial block download finishes syncing, it sometimes emits a hardcoded or dummy value for difficulty?

 "difficulty": 123456789012345.67,

~ I have observed some other people's chainwork values, and they also have more or less zeroes than the 64-character length. So what gives?
Could it be they're faking this data to get Merit without running a node? I wouldn't assume this data is correct without reproducing it.

¡uʍop ǝpᴉsdn pɐǝɥ ɹnoʎ ɥʇᴉʍ ʎuunɟ ʞool no⅄
[MUSIC] The Ballad of LoyceV
Cookdata
Legendary
*
Online Online

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1499


Not Your Keys, Not Your Bitcoin


View Profile
October 07, 2026, 03:11:57 PM
 #3

This does not look like a bug, but since you said the previous reports of difficulty are normal, I don't know how to describe it.  A fully synced verification is supposed to be false if the initial block download has reached the chain tip, but I noticed the output shows true. You can see the blocks, and the headers are synced to the tip at 970155, while the verification is true. I'm not sure what to call this, probably a bug from another implementation, maybe this is not core.

Another thing about the difficulty is that the numbers looks too strange, like a typical integers 12345679-012345.67. I also verified the block hash, I don't know why the block hash from his report and the block hash from my block header are not returning the same difficulty and chainwork.



Code:
{
  "hash": "000000000000000000008b15de051d9225324208a7ab0f167e92aab766fa33ef",
  "confirmations": 197,
  "height": 970155,
  "version": 646217728,
  "versionHex": "26848000",
  "merkleroot": "c4e834db3a42428668162ee1599349c5fa7bf485e193c5236e5c60838e3cc817",
  "time": 1791277877,
  "mediantime": 1791275059,
  "nonce": 1073445946,
  "bits": "17021ef0",
  "target": "000000000000000000021ef00000000000000000000000000000000000000000",
  "difficulty": 132716002350731.3,
  "chainwork": "00000000000000000000000000000000000000014d33450abbc365f0f1251c80",
  "nTx": 3730,
  "previousblockhash": "0000000000000000000050051cd434e56fbeeeb47c9e4fec153d66244c95963a",
  "nextblockhash": "000000000000000000019fbf2a8327e183e680c92237da28624e0bf7f6f32662"
}

We have the same block height and block hash, but not the same difficulty and chain work. This report doesn't look like a bug.

Tungbulu
Hero Member
*****
Offline

Activity: 924
Merit: 554


For your Graphic design and editing services | DM


View Profile WWW
October 07, 2026, 03:14:40 PM
 #4

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or a feature of Bitcoin Core, but apparently when the initial block download finishes syncing, it sometimes emits a hardcoded or dummy value for difficulty?
I experience something similar before when I synced my node…. It gave me streams of 0s in the difficulty… I wanted to bring it up here to find out if it was normal, but I kinda forgot…

BlackHatCoiner
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 2170
Merit: 10179


A swap that needs a hand? zeto.cash@proton.me


View Profile
October 07, 2026, 06:47:03 PM
Merited by LoyceV (4)
 #5

If Core started emitting that as a "dummy value", miners would be the first to notice. The pruneheight neither makes sense. 558358 means roughly ~400k blocks kept on disk, crammed into 2.49 GB (size_on_disk). That doesn't make any sense at all.

It seems like someone's terrible at editing screenshots to earn merits.

Cricktor
Legendary
*
Offline

Activity: 1638
Merit: 4576



View Profile
October 07, 2026, 08:07:59 PM
 #6

This is from one of my archival nodes which has been running for years (not years of uptime, of course):
Code:
$ bitcoin rpc getblockchaininfo
{
  "chain": "main",
  "blocks": 970382,
  "headers": 970382,
  "bestblockhash": "000000000000000000019ea373aecab3b1714e714f9fbde6a26ac1a0bc49b0e8",
  "bits": "17021ef0",
  "target": "000000000000000000021ef00000000000000000000000000000000000000000",
  "difficulty": 132716002350731.3,
  "time": 1791402763,
  "mediantime": 1791397762,
  "verificationprogress": 1,
  "initialblockdownload": false,
  "chainwork": "00000000000000000000000000000000000000014d9e4d61ba1561c1ac5586e8",
  "size_on_disk": 882250696933,
  "pruned": false,
  "warnings": [
  ]
}

I don't know what to say, if some merit leechers in "run a node challenges" actually fake and edit values and screenshots without brain. It's a sad world... Roll Eyes

nc50lc
Legendary
*
Online Online

Activity: 3290
Merit: 9239


Self-proclaimed Genius


View Profile
Today at 06:04:30 AM
 #7

It seems like someone's terrible at editing screenshots to earn merits.
The screenshot in the OP doesn't look bad, his AI tool did a pretty good job on it aside from inconsistent arrow designs.

But these "Day 11" and "Day 12" report's screenshot have so many badly warped strings that it's undoubtedly edited (suspiciously AI-edited):

->Weird symbol after the 0's in the bestblockhash.
archive: bitlist.co/post/67204660
archive: bitlist.co/post/67206008
->The zeroes are warpers and misaligned with the rest of the characters.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!