kaankaya (OP)
Newbie

Activity: 16
Merit: 5
|
 |
Today at 09:09:42 AM |
|
saw this today https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2026/10/07/bitcoin-s-recovery-stalls-just-short-of-rescuing-its-last-underwater-cohort and kinda liked the angle more than the price itself. 2025 buyers are apparently the only yearly BTC group still underwater, with an average cost around $88k. btc got close to that level and then dropped back below $84k. and idk, it made me think... after sitting in red for that long, do you still see your entry price as the place to finally sell? some probably just want their money back and move on. but I guess others spend so long holding that by the time break-even comes, selling there doesn't even feel that important anymore 😄 kinda feels like being underwater for months can change the holder too, not just portfolio. if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
|
|
|
|
|
Oshosondy
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1544
|
 |
Today at 09:24:51 AM |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
You mean if bitcoin fall from $88000 back to $84000 just as it fall even to $83000 now, or maybe it will fall more than that? I did not buy bitcoin to be panic and sell at a lower price. Even if bitcoin fall more and get to $70000 or below, I am not planning to sell. I know how bitcoin can be, so I know selling is a wrong decision right now. I will prefer to buy more bitcoin at a lower price instead.
|
|
|
|
|
Lida93
|
 |
Today at 09:37:52 AM |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
It doesn't make sense and it would have being preferable the buyer never bought at all. how do i buy at $88k just to spend time risk_holding it to later sell back at my entry price. only one explanation could make sense in that, which is, perhaps, i only bought just to sustain the value of my funds due to how it can really lose purchasing power for that long time due to rising prices from inflation effect if kept in fiat.
|
|
|
|
Frankolala
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1018
#on God
|
 |
Today at 09:38:07 AM |
|
If you plan on a long-term investment, you don't care about the price that you bought because it doesn't count since, bitcoin price increases overtime. A time will come when you will be in profit. Like those that bought during the bull run above $100k, by next year ending, they might be in profit. Bitcoin is a long-term investment and you don't just lump sum and relax rather, use DCA to continue buying overtime so, it doesn't affect you emotionally. With DCA, you will buy at the bottom line and the bull run to balance your average buying price. Sitting under the water is better when you're at loss
|
|
|
|
Gravitypull$
Newbie
Online
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
|
 |
Today at 09:47:39 AM |
|
only one explanation could make sense in that, which is, perhaps, i only bought just to sustain the value of my funds due to how it can really lose purchasing power for that long time due to rising prices from inflation effect if kept in fiat.
Even at that nothing changes because you bought at 88k and hodli while, holding inflation is eating up fiat and if you use a year to hodli before selling back at $88k same price you bought, the items you can buy for $88k price last year would have increased in price and your the current $88k price that you sold your bitcoin wouldn't be able to buy those items after you have sold your bitcoin. It's when you holdi and sell for $120k that you preserved the value of your funds. Increase in value of an asset overtime is what preserve the value of the money you put inside because fiat losing its purchasing power overtime.
|
|
|
|
|
d5000
Legendary

Activity: 4788
Merit: 11315
Decentralization Maximalist
|
 |
Today at 10:09:25 AM |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
All would depend on my time horizon. As some have already written, if I am in for the long term I would continue to hold. The long term perspectives for Bitcoin have not changed in the last months, with more adoption Bitcoin could be worth much more (at least double, even without government buys or "strategic reserves"). If I needed my money back in the next 1-2 years or so however, I think in this case I would observe the price evolution a lot. If there are good chances that the price continues to increase in the next months, even if there are dips every now and then, I would probably hold. (And if I can't afford a dip just when I need the money, I shouldn't have bought Bitcoin of course  ). So if I needed the money before mid-2027 and I still fear a bigger dip (e.g. back to 60-70k levels) I perhaps would set a stop-loss at slightly above 80000 or so.
|
|
|
|
m2017
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1747
keep walking, Johnnie
|
 |
Today at 10:17:20 AM |
|
2025 buyers are apparently the only yearly BTC group still underwater, with an average cost around $88k. btc got close to that level and then dropped back below $84k.
This is a "theoretical downside" that can be disregarded if one doesn't actually sell. But what were the 2025 buyers of bitcoin hoping for? To sell after a year and get rich? It has long been known that this is a long-term investment asset. and idk, it made me think... after sitting in red for that long,
You say it's been a long time? A year? I’ve been sitting on losses from shitcoins for nearly 10 years.  What could you possibly know about " sitting in the red for that long"? Your problems are completely made up. do you still see your entry price as the place to finally sell?
And what is the point of "exiting" where you "entered"? Is it really worth risking your investments for that? Waste time and nerves? some probably just want their money back and move on.
Where to move? To the traditional stock market? but I guess others spend so long holding that by the time break-even comes, selling there doesn't even feel that important anymore 😄
Others hold for the long term because it generates profit. You, too, would do well to learn how to play the long game. kinda feels like being underwater for months can change the holder too, not just portfolio.
That is precisely what turns a young beginer into a mature investor.  Although, this isn't achieved in just a couple of months. if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
I’d think to myself: "Am I an idiot to sell at the same price I bought for?"  Keep holding. After all, only the patient achieve results.
|
|
|
|
|
Dr.Bitcoin_Strange
|
 |
Today at 10:21:44 AM |
|
after sitting in red for that long, do you still see your entry price as the place to finally sell? some probably just want their money back and move on. but I guess others spend so long holding that by the time break-even comes, selling there doesn't even feel that important anymore 😄
kinda feels like being underwater for months can change the holder too, not just portfolio.
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
Every Bitcoin investor does not have the same plans when it comes to how long they intended to hold their coins, among those that bought Bitcoin at $88k last year, not all of them have the intentions of selling this year, those of them that bought hoping that price gets to $200k so they can sell fast, they must be the ones that would want to sell and move on as price has reached their entry. So, yea, being drawdown for a long period of time can force to people to sell off because price has already done opposite of what they were expecting. Some people believed the analysis they saw online last year which was saying that Bitcoin will surpass $200k and $300k and they believed, that was even the reason they decided to buy, so when things didn't go as they have expected, obviously they would sell. I didn't buy to sell any time soon, so I am not even tired of waiting because my target is set to happen in the next bull season.
|
| ..Stake.com.. | | | ▄████████████████████████████████████▄ ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██ ▄████▄ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ██████ ██ ██████████ ██ ██ ██████████ ██ ▀██▀ ██ ██ ██ ██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████ ██ █████ ███ ██████ ██ ████▄ ██ ██ █████ ███ ████ ████ █████ ███ ████████ ██ ████ ████ ██████████ ████ ████ ████▀ ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██ ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██ ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███ ██ ██ ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████████████████████████████████████ | | | | | | ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄ █ ▄▀▄ █▀▀█▀▄▄ █ █▀█ █ ▐ ▐▌ █ ▄██▄ █ ▌ █ █ ▄██████▄ █ ▌ ▐▌ █ ██████████ █ ▐ █ █ ▐██████████▌ █ ▐ ▐▌ █ ▀▀██████▀▀ █ ▌ █ █ ▄▄▄██▄▄▄ █ ▌▐▌ █ █▐ █ █ █▐▐▌ █ █▐█ ▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█ | | | | | | ▄▄█████████▄▄ ▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄ ▄█▀ ▐█▌ ▀█▄ ██ ▐█▌ ██ ████▄ ▄█████▄ ▄████ ████████▄███████████▄████████ ███▀ █████████████ ▀███ ██ ███████████ ██ ▀█▄ █████████ ▄█▀ ▀█▄ ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄ ▄▄▄█▀ ▀███████ ███████▀ ▀█████▄ ▄█████▀ ▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀ | | | ..PLAY NOW.. |
|
|
|
|
Bd officer
|
 |
Today at 10:24:10 AM |
|
That's why people say don't focus on price but plan for long term hodl. If you plan like this you will not succeed. It is always better to plan long term and this is the right way. Now if someone buys $88k then why would they sell when it reaches $84k? If they panic like this then I think they didn't have a long term plan.
Personally I don't plan like this, and if I buy $88k then if the price drops and it goes back to $88k then what will be the profit if I sell? Of course I will hold till the bull run comes and continue more DCA along with it.
|
|
|
|
|
davis196
|
 |
Today at 10:29:36 AM |
|
saw this today https://www.coindesk.com/markets/2026/10/07/bitcoin-s-recovery-stalls-just-short-of-rescuing-its-last-underwater-cohort and kinda liked the angle more than the price itself. 2025 buyers are apparently the only yearly BTC group still underwater, with an average cost around $88k. btc got close to that level and then dropped back below $84k. and idk, it made me think... after sitting in red for that long, do you still see your entry price as the place to finally sell? some probably just want their money back and move on. but I guess others spend so long holding that by the time break-even comes, selling there doesn't even feel that important anymore 😄 kinda feels like being underwater for months can change the holder too, not just portfolio. if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then? It depends of whether they need fiat money or not. It's OK for them to sell their BTC, if they need money to cover necessary expenses and pay the bills. True HODLers won't sell their BTC just because the price has recovered to this or that level. I find it funny that you call a group of traders and investors "underwater" just because they bought BTC at a higher price in the past. Nobody is "underwater" if they have the finances to cover their expenses. The only investors, who are "underwater" are the ones, who had filed for bankruptcy.
|
|
|
|
|
|
██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████ | ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████Need Project Advertising? Hire AB de Royse777 Mixers , Exchanges , casinos and whatnot! ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████ | ██████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██████ | │ | ████████ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ██ ████████ | ███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████ ██ HIGHLY TRUSTED, TOP RATED, & LEGENDARY CAMPAIGN MANAGER VISIT PORTFOLIO SAMPLE ↗️ ██ ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████ | ██████████████████ ▄█████████████ ▄███████████████ ▄████████████████ ▄█████████████████ ██████████████████ ██████████████████ ██████████████████ ▀█████████████████ ▀████████████████ ▀███████████████ ▀█████████████ ██████████████████ |
|
|
|
Agbe
Legendary
Online
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1464
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
|
 |
Today at 11:44:04 AM |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
I will not sell because definitely I know that it will surpass that amount of $88k which was my entry price and was patient enough till now, I will continue holding it. That is why we should have time frame for the investment. I bought it this year at the price of $84k, I should set a selling price at $130k or $200k and if it has not reached that price, I will not sell until the market hit my target. And the secondly the year to sell. If the year you set has come but the price is not satisfactory, you can still hold it. If you enter the market this year and you want to dispatch them in 2032 which is 6 years interval, and the price is below your target, you can still keep it. And if there is extra money, add up. You will not regret.
|
|
|
|
|
Doan9269
|
 |
Today at 12:07:07 PM |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
What will stop me from holding further? When I am not a trader? As investors, we should know that it is expected of us to be more holders than sellers at the fall of the market when it becomes unfavorable. Thenable for us to make profits, one of the common attributes of an investor is the ability to hold for a longer period of time, because in so doing comes the opportunity to make a profit, rather than when you decide to sell at a loss without considering the entry point you took when you were buying in the first place.
|
|
|
|
pooya87
Legendary

Activity: 4242
Merit: 12613
|
 |
Today at 12:20:16 PM |
|
and idk, it made me think... after sitting in red for that long, do you still see your entry price as the place to finally sell? some probably just want their money back and move on. but I guess others spend so long holding that by the time break-even comes, selling there doesn't even feel that important anymore
You seem to be confused about what bitcoin is. Bitcoin is not some shitcoin that people buy then wait for it to get a one time pump so that they can dump it and "get rich" and then get out. If anybody bought it to make a quick profit then they should sell their coins right now and move on. Bitcoin is the only decentralized currency in the world and it was invented to give us financial sovereignty. Even if its price never went any higher, it still remains the only "money" in existence that is also worth having.
|
| DΞX.fo | | | | | | ▄▄██████ █████████ ██████████ ██████████ ██████████ █████████ ▀▀██████
▄███████ ▄██████████ ████████████ █████████████ █████████████ | | | | ▄▄█ ▄████▀ ▄███▀█▄ ▄██▀█▄██ █████▀▀█ ████████ ████████ ▀██▄████ ▄████▄▄█ ▄█████▀███ ▄█████▀████▀ █████▀███████ ▀██▀█████████ | | | | | ..BTC......XMR... ..USDT.....LTC... ....Fees 0.8%..... |
|
|
|
|
KiaKia
|
 |
Today at 01:16:54 PM |
|
Lack of wisdom is why people panic because of retracements, soanu people don't even understand what a Bitcoin chart is saying they are just talking out of fear and panic mood and it's very glaring.
I will never panic sell my Bitcoin even if we see 60k again, at this point of time I don't care what happens because my chart is saying that this retracement is necessary and important for us to go higher in coming months.
Bitcoin is a volatile asset, people needs to understand this part of Bitcoin before investing, you all think because Bitcoin has been surging since last month we should just be going up? It doesn't work like that.
|
|
|
|
eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1419
|
 |
Today at 01:41:00 PM Last edit: Today at 03:12:57 PM by eternalgloom |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
I'm in Moon or Zero mode right now. If I had bought in at $88k and market swung all way back to that level then I definitely wouldn't panic sell my entire stack just to break even. If absolutely necessary I might have withdrawn 10-20%, but I would have held onto rest until it reached over $100k or hit any new ATH. Market cycle alter not only price but also psychology of holder. Those who manage to survive after being underwater for so long stop being mere retail trader, they transform into great hodler.  
|
|
|
|
Soldroplet
Member


Activity: 216
Merit: 39
|
 |
Today at 02:04:39 PM |
|
If I bought Bitcoin for $88,000, I don't think I'll sell it when the price goes back up. Because I'm not buying Bitcoin for a few months. Suppose, after buying it for $88,000, the price drops to $70,000. At that time, if I have some extra money, I might buy a little more. This will allow me to buy Bitcoin at a lower price than before, and the average purchase price will also decrease slightly. However, no one can say that the price will not drop again.
I actually plan to hold Bitcoin for at least 4 to 10 years, and even longer if possible. So I don't want to worry too much about how much profit or loss I made today. However, there is one thing, if someone buys Bitcoin with their family's money, it will not be easy for them to hold it for so many years. Suppose, suddenly they lose their job or have a big expense at home, then they may have to sell Bitcoin even if they don't want to.
That's why I think it's better to keep some money aside for my own expenses and buy with what I can afford. For me, the more important thing than getting back the purchase price is whether the purpose for which I'm accumulating Bitcoin is still valid.
|
|
|
|
|
Princess Leah
Sr. Member
  

Activity: 966
Merit: 347
Recognized among the best crypto casino options.
|
 |
Today at 02:09:26 PM |
|
You seem to be confused about what bitcoin is.
Bitcoin is not some shitcoin that people buy then wait for it to get a one time pump so that they can dump it and "get rich" and then get out. If anybody bought it to make a quick profit then they should sell their coins right now and move on. Bitcoin is the only decentralized currency in the world and it was invented to give us financial sovereignty. Even if its price never went any higher, it still remains the only "money" in existence that is also worth having.
You're spot on dear, Bitcoin is not some pump and dump shitty coin so anyone buying it should have a long term mentality and hold it very long, four years at least or more like ten years and above, anyone who buys Bitcoin only to take profits after it surges is a trader and they're the ones who mostly give in to panic. Understanding the nature of Bitcoin and how it's been moving in the past years should let people know that there's no reason for a long term holder to panic, cause the coin dip and gradually recovers and go higher which is why people should stop seeing it as a speculative coin but a long term asset.
|
|
|
|
Wind_FURY
Legendary

Activity: 3794
Merit: 2226
|
 |
Today at 02:10:23 PM |
|
OP, you should probably start considering sending your Bitcoin in true cold-storage by using an old computer that will NEVER connect to the internet as your "hardware wallet". It will help you HODL during situations when you're becoming impatient and frustrated because signing a transaction will take a few more steps and THOSE EXTRA STEPS might be the part of the process that might stop you from selling. 
|
| .SHUFFLE.COM.. | ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ | ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ ███████████████████████ | . ...Next Generation Crypto Casino... |
|
|
|
|
laspol65
|
 |
Today at 02:14:20 PM |
|
Look, everyone's holding strategy is different, but they will hold Bitcoin for a long time and they will never decide to sell it again at the purchase price. Since there has been a recovery due to holding it for a long time, I do not think it is logical to sell Bitcoin there. Since you have a recovery in the market now, you should be patient here and later the Bitcoin market will increase in a cycle again, then you can sell Bitcoin by taking sufficient profits. For this, you must plan and move forward according to the plan, in the current situation, if you believe in cycles, then you must be patient. I do not care about what others say because I hold Bitcoin for the long term and it is according to my plan that when the price of Bitcoin reaches a sufficient level, I will sell my Bitcoin.
|
|
|
|
|
JoyMarsha
|
 |
Today at 02:34:38 PM |
|
if you bought around 88k and finally got back there, would you still think “ok, I'm out” or would you probably just keep holding by then?
What's the essence of buying Bitcoin at a particular price, only to sell at that same price after a long time of hodling Bitcoin to skyrocket in price. However, a person who does that, lacks vision and timing in their Bitcoin investment; they really don't know what they want out of their Bitcoin investment.
|
|
|
|
|