Just another reason to justify my long dislike of hardware wallets!
It's sad, but I agree. Although I did not dislike these HWs, due to a lack of accessibility and too much middleman involvement, I did not buy from these resellers. I prefer to buy directly. Even a few days ago, when the buyers' data was breached, I did say we should find a trustworthy middleman for this. But now all fingers are pointing at those middlemen, like Ledger can't be involved in this! What if Ledger itself is involved? Where is the proof they are not?
Pooya, the problem is not with the technology. It's with the greed these people have that they can never build a hack-proof system, just because they can build a hack-proof device. This loss suffered by a person, if confirmed, is enough to give someone goosebumps, and my feelings would be like this guy below.
This really got me thinking if it’s even possible to identify a bug on a hardware device just by looking at a picture. Is this a joke or something?
However, I’m kind of curious with the rate at which series of attacks on bitcoin wallets recently, its making me to to doubt if bitcoin is really going to get that adoption and acceptance like we are thinking in the nearest future, if all this attack continues like this, then we probably might never get there.
I agree with your concerns and it's understandable too but these kinds of attacks are not only limited to btc. People have been losing their money via atm skimming the same way, even their bank card details and other online banking frauds have cost people a lot of money. Several call centres are now being closed all over the place where people were running carding operations, and that's a big win but still we have not stopped using banks and fiat, and no one will stop using crypto either.
Also, you should read this, because if you have purchased or want to purchase a hardware wallet then you can learn how to stay on the safer side.