Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:35:42 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: help, recovering from wallet.dat  (Read 3581 times)
heruspex (OP)

Activity: 180
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:49:00 AM

hi,

i ahve a wallet.dat file (unencrypted)  from my mac client that crashed. i cant get the bitcoin client to load. however i had 30 bitcoins being sent to one of my addresses, and they havent been received.

Looking for someone to take my wallet.dat file and recover. Will "tip".

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Mushoz

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Bitbuy

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:09:29 AM

Do you know if the wallet.dat is usable on Windows clients as well? I could help out in that case, I'm familiar with switching out wallets and using the rescan option to retrieve transactions from the blockchain.

www.bitbuy.nl - Koop eenvoudig, snel en goedkoop bitcoins bij Bitbuy!
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 11:05:49 AM

Hi,

I would be a little cautious about giving out your "wallet.dat" file to anyone you don't know or whose reputation on this forum (or elsewhere) is not well known.

It might be time to read up a bit on wallet recovery steps - one first thing to note is that if you have even a fairly old wallet backup it might well have the private key(s) required to recover your BTC as a key pool of usually 100 are created when your wallet is created (the rescan option might be required if starting the client up with an older backup).

Also whatever you do make sure you keep a copy of the current wallet.dat (if you do end up still deciding to give it to someone else).

Cheers,

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 11:11:10 AM

Hi,

I would be a little cautious about giving out your "wallet.dat" file to anyone you don't know or whose reputation on this forum (or elsewhere) is not well known.

It might be time to read up a bit on wallet recovery steps - one first thing to note is that if you have even a fairly old wallet backup it might well have the private key(s) required to recover your BTC as a key pool of usually 100 are created when your wallet is created (the rescan option might be required if starting the client up with an older backup).

Also whatever you do make sure you keep a copy of the current wallet.dat (if you do end up still deciding to give it to someone else).

Cheers,

Ian.

His wallet is in safe hands!

I've recovered the private key and imported it into a new wallet, and am currently waiting for an address to return the coins to (minus whatever tip he decides on giving me).

chunglam
Donator

Activity: 229
Merit: 106

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 12:23:43 PM

Hi, I also have a corrupted wallet.dat with arround 100 BTCs inside. It was encrypted using bitcoin-qt client 5.0, crashed when starting up. I have tried removing all files except wallet.dat in %appdata%\bitcoin folder and still fail. Does anyone know any good tools for recovering encrypted wallet.dat? Thanks.
chunglam
Donator

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 12:54:58 PM

I do have backup wallet.dat(around month old), some coins recovered. But since I have generated new receiving address and also upgraded the client from v4 to v5, transactions to new generated address missing from the backup wallet.dat
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1072

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 01:09:34 PM

I do have backup wallet.dat(around month old), some coins recovered. But since I have generated new receiving address and also upgraded the client from v4 to v5, transactions to new generated address missing from the backup wallet.dat

Understand - seems that the conversion from unencrypted to encrypted is something one needs to pay very close attention to (on my system my wallet is kept encrypted by an external encryption tool and is only unencrypted when I run the client which I only do for a brief time per day and every day after running I take a backup of the encrypted wallet and keep several such backups at several different places).

It will all depend upon exactly what has gone wrong with the encrypted wallet - not sure if the debug.log file will provide any clue as to what exactly it is finding wrong with the file.

Cheers,

Ian.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU
chunglam
Donator

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 01:21:25 PM

The worst part is I have to reuse the backup wallet file because I used some address in this old wallet as my mining pool payout address and permanent locked for security reason. So I can't email this corrupted wallet file to others for recovering because it contains my missing address and pool payout address. I would appreciated someone can help me recovering it and I will pay 40 BTC if success.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 03:38:49 PM

Hi, I also have a corrupted wallet.dat with arround 100 BTCs inside. It was encrypted using bitcoin-qt client 5.0, crashed when starting up. I have tried removing all files except wallet.dat in %appdata%\bitcoin folder and still fail. Does anyone know any good tools for recovering encrypted wallet.dat? Thanks.

What happens?  How does it fail?

A longshot but
try reinstalling the client (it will install new wallet.dat).  Download entire block chain.  Ensure wallet is functioning properly (use bitfaucet to send token amount to new wallet).

Once verified client is working properly close client, delete ONLY wallet.dat file.  Copy your wallet.dat to same location and attempt to restart.

If that doesn't work I don't believe there are any tools which decrypt a wallet and dump a plain text copy of the contents.  It shouldn't be too hard to create a tool that does this using the client source code as a blueprint.  You may want to try offering a small bounty for a tool which can take encrypted wallet and given passphrase will dump a plain text copy of all private keys. 

Sorry for your plight.  To anyone reading this is why backups are essential.  Make a backup at least once a month.  If you do more than 100 transactions per month then make backups more often.  Always backup before encrypting a wallet or changing passphrase.  Always backup before upgrading the client.
gnar1ta$
Donator

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 04:30:03 PM

Is there a way to get paper copy of your private keys from the client?  I always keep a paper copy of my savings wallet, which I can't seem to do from the stock client.

Losing hundreds of Bitcoins with the best scammers in the business - BFL, Avalon, KNC, HashFast.
chunglam
Donator

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 07:45:06 PM

A longshot but
try reinstalling the client (it will install new wallet.dat).  Download entire block chain.  Ensure wallet is functioning properly (use bitfaucet to send token amount to new wallet).

Once verified client is working properly close client, delete ONLY wallet.dat file.  Copy your wallet.dat to same location and attempt to restart.

Already tried this, the client still crash.

If that doesn't work I don't believe there are any tools which decrypt a wallet and dump a plain text copy of the contents.  It shouldn't be too hard to create a tool that does this using the client source code as a blueprint.  You may want to try offering a small bounty for a tool which can take encrypted wallet and given passphrase will dump a plain text copy of all private keys. 

I will pay 40 BTC to anyone help me recover coins from this wallet.

Sorry for your plight.  To anyone reading this is why backups are essential.  Make a backup at least once a month.  If you do more than 100 transactions per month then make backups more often.  Always backup before encrypting a wallet or changing passphrase.  Always backup before upgrading the client.

I do have backup copy of this wallet.dat which is about one month old. I made a wrong assumption that when generating new receiving address, the client should pick unused key pair from pre-generated key pool. Normally this should be the case. But since I also upgraded client from v4 to v5 at the same time, the client generated new key pairs. All transactions to new generated address missing from the backup copy of this wallet.dat.

Long story in short: The Windows VM running Bitcoin client crashed, Windows restarted, Bitcoin client crashed when starting up.
chunglam
Donator

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 11:24:49 PM

Long story in short: The Windows VM running Bitcoin client crashed, Windows restarted, Bitcoin client crashed when starting up.

[/quote]

Details of crash: All my wallets running  inside Windows 7 VM on top of two hosts VMware ESXi cluster and the OS data stores are protected by two RAID5 array mirrored using DRBD with Ubuntu and Linux-HA for fail over. Since this setup has been running for a while, I didn't notice the primary storage array already failed when I tried to do some maintenance work for the standby server and reboot. So all my VMs lost data store connection and crashed.
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 12:45:05 AM

If that doesn't work I don't believe there are any tools which decrypt a wallet and dump a plain text copy of the contents.  It shouldn't be too hard to create a tool that does this using the client source code as a blueprint.
Especially since the majority of what is needed to recover keys already exists.

You may want to try offering a small bounty for a tool which can take encrypted wallet and given passphrase will dump a plain text copy of all private keys.
I suggest letting jackjack know of the bounty you put out, since it might encourage him to find time to finish his update to pywallet:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=34028.msg661194#msg661194

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 12:54:21 AM

I can extract private keys from a wallet.dat regardless of Berkeley DB structure damage as long as they are not encrypted, by sniffing for the bytes I would expect to surround them in the file.  I have not studied how the encryption works in order to be able to decrypt an encrypted wallet.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:02:50 AM

Geez, what's up with everyone losing their wallets lately. Smiley I am counting at least 4 in last couple days.
chunglam
Donator

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 02:46:48 AM

Hi Mike, I can email the corrupted wallet file to you but the wallet file was encrypted so I don't know if that really help. In fact, I already sent the wallet file to mcorlett without pass-phrase for analyst. Hope to hear good new from him soon. I already assume those coins may lost forever but a bit disappointed with the client handling of wallet file, it seems very easy to get corrupted. I thought I have make all precautions to protect my wallet but this kind of accident still happen.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1135

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 04:30:16 AM

I think the wallet encryption is a waste.  Part of why I know nothing about it is I have no plans to use it.  If my computer is owned, the wallet encryption isn't going to help much.  In fact I'd almost rather have my BTC stolen off my computer sooner so I'd know it was owned.  (I don't ever keep much online)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1063

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:20:47 PM

I think the wallet encryption is a waste.  Part of why I know nothing about it is I have no plans to use it.  If my computer is owned, the wallet encryption isn't going to help much.  In fact I'd almost rather have my BTC stolen off my computer sooner so I'd know it was owned.  (I don't ever keep much online)

I got no problem w/ encrypted wallets but I do think wallets must be deterministic.  As the user base grows and becomes less tech savy the ability to delete, corrupt, lose a wallet is a critical "flaw".  A deterministic wallet can simply be recreated.  If you delete it, just recreate it.  If you lose it just recreate it.  If you corrupt it just recreate it.
mcorlett
Donator

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:34:00 PM

Hope to hear good new from him soon.
Good news:
The file structure isn't completely botched. There are still (encrypted) private keys in there.

Bad news:
I'm still working on recovering a wallet I've intentionally corrupted in a sandbox to try to get the lay of the land. I don't have nearly the time I'd like to, but I keep working on it a little bit here, and a little bit there.

chunglam
Donator

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:08:45 PM

Hope to hear good new from him soon.
Good news:
The file structure isn't completely botched. There are still (encrypted) private keys in there.

Bad news:
I'm still working on recovering a wallet I've intentionally corrupted in a sandbox to try to get the lay of the land. I don't have nearly the time I'd like to, but I keep working on it a little bit here, and a little bit there.

Thank you for your help and effort. Glad to hear the good news. No need to rush, I can wait Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: