Bitcoin Forum
June 15, 2024, 04:36:27 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What should we do?
I like the name Darkcoin, we should stick with it. - 40 (63.5%)
Let's pick something "lighter" and friendlier (professionally done) - 23 (36.5%)
Total Voters: 63

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Rebrand Darkcoin? (finished)  (Read 2264 times)
eduffield (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1036

Dash Developer

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 04:08:21 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 10:41:58 AM by eduffield

Should we change the name/logo/everything for Darkcoin to rebrand to something friendlier?

Dash - Digital Cash | dash.org | dashfoundation.io | dashgo.io
Propulsion

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

The Buck Stops Here.

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:16:40 AM

I'm a fan of the name. A professional will probably tell us it should be changed. I think what is holding back the coin is not the name, but rather the non final implementation of DarkSend. Once that is finalized I believe it will be locked into the crypto market regardless of it's name. (I will not vote, I should be considered biased.)
eltito

Activity: 322
Merit: 105

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:19:27 AM

I'm a fan of the name. A professional will probably tell us it should be changed. I think what is holding back the coin is not the name, but rather the non final implementation of DarkSend. Once that is finalized I believe it will be locked into the crypto market regardless of it's name. (I will not vote, I should be considered biased.)

I agree.  If DarkSend is proven to work as advertised, nobody's going to give a shit about the name of the coin.
InternetApe

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 04:24:38 AM

I think the problem with darkcoin name, and I really like it, is that people are putting it in the same context as Darkweb and illegal activity.

The only reason we would even consider it would be to make it easier to market to the masses, we dont want it to be a darkweb coin. Techies really wouldnt care about the name but the general public might.

Again I like the name but MAYBE it would be better accepted with a friendlier name??

DarkCoin - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615 - DarkCoin aims to be the first privacy-centric cryptographic currency with fully encrypted transactions and anonymous block transactions.
Simcom

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:26:15 AM

I like the name a lot.  It's one of the biggest things the coin has going for it in my opinion.  It's edgy and it will appeal to people who want to transfer money anonymously. The name is also way way way better than "Zerocoin", which is a terrible name by any measure..  
KingSchultz

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:28:37 AM

It'd have to be a brilliant, home-run "why hasn't anyone thought of this" type name/branding. Otherwise I think it would hurt the coin more than help.
InternetApe

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 04:30:14 AM

It'd have to be a brilliant, home-run "why hasn't anyone thought of this" type name/branding. Otherwise I think it would hurt the coin more than help.

agreed!

DarkCoin - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615 - DarkCoin aims to be the first privacy-centric cryptographic currency with fully encrypted transactions and anonymous block transactions.
raze182

Activity: 163

A légpárnás hajóm tele van angolnákkal.

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:34:48 AM

+1

Xtrdw361DvoyDhxL5XoeAvTxTPvM4dXuLW
Kai Proctor

Activity: 546

01100100 01100001 01110011 01101000

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:43:28 AM

There must always be the word "coin" ? There are so much alt coins that most prefixes are taken.  Cheesy
LimLims

Activity: 1204
Merit: 272

1xbit.com

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 04:51:39 AM

There must always be the word "coin" ? There are so much alt coins that most prefixes are taken.  Cheesy

I like the idea of calling it "cash", personally, given that's the model of currency we're seeking to emulate. iCash, myCash, SecureCash, PrivateCash. MeowCash? Wink

████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████████████████
████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄██
███████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀█████
████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄██████████████████
██████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀█████████████████
████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████
█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
WELCOME BONUS UP TO 7 BTC!
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
BET NOW
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:59:31 AM

I think the problem with darkcoin name, and I really like it, is that people are putting it in the same context as Darkweb and illegal activity.

The only reason we would even consider it would be to make it easier to market to the masses, we dont want it to be a darkweb coin. Techies really wouldnt care about the name but the general public might.

Again I like the name but MAYBE it would be better accepted with a friendlier name??

Agreed 100%
Why was the name chosen in the first place?

stealth923
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:01:33 AM

If the goal is mass adoption and a competitor to bitcoin then I believe it needs to change its name.....Dark does associate itself with something underground etc....That will hold it back in the longrun.

Because its anonymous at heart, has all the right components to be a mainstream currency it needs a name to reflect that.

But it needs to be spot on and branded professionally to ensure success...

invisipay, iCash (invisible-cash) ..I don't know....look at the name Google...when the creators first said it they would have been like WTF....but now its a household name....maybe it doesn't even need the word, coin, cash etc in it
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:03:18 AM

I really like the name; it gives a robust factor to the identity of the coin. And it goes well with the anonymity feature.
KingSchultz

Activity: 140

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:34:08 AM

invisipay, iCash (invisible-cash) ..I don't know....look at the name Google...when the creators first said it they would have been like WTF....but now its a household name....maybe it doesn't even need the word, coin, cash etc in it

The suffix -coin is sort of required unless you want your coin to take a big hit in search engine ranking and.. 'findability'.
bestsponsor

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:38:23 AM

I ask the dev not make the mistake!
You created a wonderful coin in 2014 nothing better established.
You deserve a reward. Do not listen to those who want to enrich themselves only.
Do not change the properties of the coin, only improve the code (like bitcoin & litecoin).
Do not give away the coins you earn! better to send the money to create X11 multipuls, to create their DRK/coins exchange, to create dns services, the creation of rental MHs service (like leaserig.net) ...

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 08:10:26 AM

To make dark more friendly ?

eightspaces

Activity: 126

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:19:05 AM

yes, the name "darkcoin" completely sucks
blajde

Activity: 364

Pre-sale - March 18

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:25:43 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2014, 09:42:01 AM by blajde

IntegrityCoin

Even if there were a name change it should be announced at the same time as Darksend is good to go --> releasing with bigger impact and gives the changes to DRK and it's innovation a bigger impact.

Also not that going from Send to Pay in "darksend" is not the best option. Just because you send money doesn't mean you pay.
patrolman

Activity: 447

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:29:55 AM

The name darkcoin may put some off using it, but another name would be unlikely to put people off using it for illegal activity provided darksend works as intended. Not that I necessarily condone illegal activity but there are many contradicting laws in different countries around the globe  - they can't all be "right".

That said, I agree that the name should only be changed if something much better is found, not necessarily including the suffix -coin. Maybe we could try something based on Latin or Greek or some other language seeing as most crypto names are in English.
-Greed-

Activity: 910
Merit: 1000

Decentralized Jihad

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 09:52:04 AM

Oh man, stop changing something in darkcoin every week or so. We all can't wait for the final release of darksend. Focus on it, please.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: