Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:06:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Overstock.com TV commercial advertises bitcoin!  (Read 1243 times)
farlack (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:13:15 AM

I just seen an overstock commercial on truTV, the entire time thinking they accept bitcoin it would be exciting if they mentioned it. At the end, it says accepting bitcoin.

I think this may be the first advertisement on the TV for bitcoin Cheesy

This is the one I saw on TV
https://www.youtube.com/embed/yUsWR2pcNnc?modestbranding=1&rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/48_fmjn2GTc?modestbranding=1&rel=0
This one also has it.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
K128kevin

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 04:56:13 AM

lol I thought you meant it would be an advertisement where they like, explicitly mention and advertise the fact that they accept bitcoin rather than just having the little note on the bottom with the logo. Still pretty cool though!

DarwinNexus

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:01:53 AM

Pretty awesome.  Hard not to love Overstocks enthusiasm.  Not a big fan of their service, prices, or inventory... but if they're a big business that's on Bitcoins side.  I'll give you some business.   Smiley
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 05:08:29 AM

Would like to see this one.  Good news though for sure.  Were about due for another big retailer to announce they will start accepting bitcoin as well.  Might need to wait for the price to stop dropping before we get that though.

mktrader

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Hello World!!!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:32:21 AM

Just a matter of time before another large player (e.g Amazon, target or WalMart) joins the train!!

Price Poll: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=555609
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:50:37 AM

Any progress on accepting BTC from the international clients? I am from outside the US, and I'd have loved to shop with Overstock if they made that option available for the international buyers.
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:26:12 AM

Yeah, just seeing that small snippet saying that they now accept bitcoin is still very much exciting. I recall seeing that commercial during a commercial break during yesterday's Final Four games so this is serve as a catalyst to at least interest people in bitcoins.

Even though, the coverage is relatively "little," I personally can't help be feel all giddy seeing it. It's kinda like when I go to a food cart and see the sign that says "bitcoin accepted." I can't tell you how many times that has swayed my decision on what to eat at a food cart plaza.
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:33:19 AM

This has been published like 10000x but it is so small doesn't make a different no one is paying that much attention to it.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:37:09 AM

This has been published like 10000x but it is so small doesn't make a different no one is paying that much attention to it.

I don't think that it is in any way insignificant. Bitcoin has received a lot of negative publicity due to Gox. We should thank Overstock for giving us good PR, during these testing times.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:52:44 AM

I don't think that it is in any way insignificant. Bitcoin has received a lot of negative publicity due to Gox. We should thank Overstock for giving us good PR, during these testing times.

It is, it doesn't promote bitcoin at all, maybe 0.01% will even google bitcoin but if you think that is driving people to bitcoin I have a bridge to sell you.

Overstock does nothing for us but gives us a bit of validation. Which is something we still need from a lot of other sources. When I am on this forum I forget the amount of work we still need to do to get acceptance. I was on a bootstrap startup forum the other day, they pretty much laughed me off the forum because I talked about bitcoins. This proves we need a lot more work on validation and getting it from higher sources, overstock is a very tiny source.
Sindelar1938

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 06:54:24 AM

This is good PR considering the recent crap. So let's take it for what it is.

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:44:12 PM

Yeah they should look into advertising, I seen thats why they didnt well on against ebay when they had there auctions, they lack a good team for marketing.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
vnvizow

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:47:53 PM

Well it's a win-win situation, they accept Bitcoins as a form of payment right?
CryptoPanda

Activity: 882
Merit: 302

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:58:02 PM

that's great!
next step Super Bowl!
zolace

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 03:59:29 PM

yeah but even accepting bitcoin doesnt give it much PR, they need to give discounts for people that are buying with bitcoin somehow to promote it better.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
AmDD
Legendary

Activity: 1027
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:09:09 PM

I saw this weeks ago on TV and as soon as I saw it I looked at my wife as she rolled her eyes... haha. We had just been talking about it being on different TV shows and it was too perfect.

Could the Bitcoin Foundation (or anyone with a good reputation) start a donation to create a short tv ad? Would this be beneficial or are we still too early in the experiment?

BTC tip jar: 18EKpbrcXxbpzAZv3T58ccGcVis7W7JR9w
LTC tip jar: Lgp8ERykAgx6Q8NdMqpi5vnVoUMD2hYn2a
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:22:28 PM

Could the Bitcoin Foundation (or anyone with a good reputation) start a donation to create a short tv ad? Would this be beneficial or are we still too early in the experiment?

If I knew how I would and throw in some.
farlack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 04:46:18 PM

It is, it doesn't promote bitcoin at all, maybe 0.01% will even google bitcoin but if you think that is driving people to bitcoin I have a bridge to sell you.

Overstock does nothing for us but gives us a bit of validation. Which is something we still need from a lot of other sources. When I am on this forum I forget the amount of work we still need to do to get acceptance. I was on a bootstrap startup forum the other day, they pretty much laughed me off the forum because I talked about bitcoins. This proves we need a lot more work on validation and getting it from higher sources, overstock is a very tiny source.

well lets see here, 150,000,000/0.01%= 15,000
farlack (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:04:13 PM

I doubt 150 million have seen the ad. I would say about 100 people or less have taken to googling what bitcoins are from that ad.

Not yet, and you're one good psychic, your job must be to analyze commercial ads for a living to know how many people google things they see on TV.
gweedo
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 05:15:25 PM

I doubt 150 million have seen the ad. I would say about 100 people or less have taken to googling what bitcoins are from that ad.

Not yet, and you're one good psychic, your job must be to analyze commercial ads for a living to know how many people google things they see on TV.

No it an estimation TV is a dying medium, people 50+ don't really use google and people 30 and below don't watch much tv. So people 30-40 and are the target demo, and even then if you have to hope they have a phone or tablet to google it right their otherwise they will not even remember it.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: