Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 12:06:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TRANSFERING MY OLD WALLET :: HELP  (Read 1070 times)
IamYou (OP)

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:00:22 PM

Hi all,

Years ago when bitcoin was starting out i generated some coins.. I have the wallet.day file but when i replace it with mine and start the program up, The program crashes with an error...

Did i encrypt it ?

Cheers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:12:21 PM

Hopefully you have a wallet.dat file. 
IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:28:34 PM

Sorry for the mistype, Yes.. I have a wallet.dat file..

Do you know why its doing this ??
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:32:00 PM

No.  What is the error?
IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 09:46:55 PM

There error just states that the program quit unexpectedly, No reason Sad

All though in db.txt this is generated:

C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Roaming\Bitcoin\wallet.dat: file size not a multiple of the pagesize

Hmmm.. thoughts ?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 09:53:54 PM

Even if corrupted, it's probably quite recoverable...

do you know how to use a hex editor?  can you search for bytes in it?  I can tell you magic sequences to look for, that if you can pull the bytes immediately surrounding them, you can reconstruct a brand new wallet file and recover all the coins...

the magic bytes you should be most interested in are: 01 03 6b 65 79 41 04

tell us how many times this sequence occurs in your file...

each time you see this sequence, there should be the bytes "04 20" soon thereafter (within the next few hundred bytes)... the 32 bytes coming after each 04 20 are a private key that may unlock a portion of your wallet.  the average wallet should have >100 of these, but one from a very old version of bitcoin might have fewer.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:08:13 PM

Thanks for the awesome reply !

I'm not to familiar with hex.. And wouldnt really what i'd be doing... What if i where to make you a deal ?

if you add me on skype.. I'll send you the wallet.dat file out of good will and trust.. You see if its fixable.. Half of whats on there is yours ?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:15:00 PM

I'm at work and don't have skype on this, but my e-mail is mcaldwell@mc2cs.com...

If you're able to use PGP, my key fingerprint is F1175A23, otherwise, I can probably crunch it quickly enough to let you know if it's any good before anyone else could ever get to it...

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2011, 10:29:15 PM

No dramas bro, I'll just send it straight across..  Grin

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2011, 10:51:18 PM

Successfully broke open the wallet using a custom program to scan for magic bytes.  Total contents: 0.00814646 BTC.

When I transfer that to another address you will be able to see which address(es) held the BTC, until then, I don't have an easy way to tell.

Once I send the funds to another address, if you were to give someone else the same wallet file who had the same capability I do, they could confirm that I was honest about the balance and that none of the funds were recently transferred off.  (I suppose I am saying this merely for the sake of sharing an understanding of how the system works.)

(procedure I used: custom program loads the whole file...scans for 0x04 0x20... grabs 32 bytes afterwards...converts that to a wallet import format string.  I pipe all of those strings into a script.  I run importprivkey on each of them.  My importprivkey patch is modified so it doesn't rescan the wallet right away, so I can bulk-load hundreds of private keys quickly.  Then I manually shut down bitcoind, restart it with -rescan which takes several minutes, and voila, any funds that show up must have been in the original wallet.)

IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 01:18:44 AM

Woaaah, Thanks man !

Wow.. i though i might of had a bit more coins then that...

Are you using windows yeah ? You should do a tut.. With pics Tongue

Thank you soo much !
IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 01:21:20 AM

What 'Custom Program' did you use ?

pywallet?
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 02:14:50 AM

Custom program means I went into MS Visual Studio and wrote some code to scan the file.

May paste that code shortly. Am posting from my phone right now.

IamYou (OP)

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 06:29:47 AM

What a legend. What'd you code it in ? C#?
nikoladsp

Activity: 1

View Profile
February 16, 2012, 08:28:56 AM

hi,
i have a (sort of) similar problem. don't know can it be solved, by ill ask anyway Smiley

one year ago (approx) my co-worker told me about bitcoin mining. at that time, my VGA was crappy, so i tried to mine with CPU - just to see what it is all that stuff Smiley. naturally, it didn't lasted much, since mining was very poor. I cant remember whether i installed bitcoin wallet or not at that time. Think not - but cant be sure. I'm positive however, that I re-installed my OS in the meantime (switched from slackware to ubuntu). Even worst, i have a spare windows partition (to play games when my wife is not around Wink ). so i basically don't know ANYTHING on how my software configuration looked at that time Sad

back in present day....

i bought 2 sapphire 6950, unlock them to 6970 and start mining. after a week, i transferred hard earned 2.69 BTC to some (obviously) old wallet address (i presume for that one year old one, missed in action in the meantime). so my first coins ended in some void. is there any way to bring them back?

thanks in advance

ps: i use deepbit
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: