Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 09:14:03 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do people think exchanges set the prices?  (Read 1416 times)
brokedummy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1004

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:12:56 PM

So I'm reading this article: http://www.coindesk.com/mark-t-williams-on-the-flaws-and-opportunities-of-bitcoin/
;which is a conversation between what I can only assume is grown adults that understand a bit about bitcoin. Then I get to the part about MT Gox setting their prices 8 to 10% above the other exchanges. WTF? Why do people think the exchanges set the prices? No wonder people don't want to buy bitcoins and think bitcoin is a scam. They think the exchanges are selling the coins to them at a price the exchanges decide behind closed doors. If even these so called experts can't figure out what is really happening in a bitcoin market, what hope is there of regular people understanding?
beatljuice

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:19:10 PM

Stay a brokedummy you will not.
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 07:21:28 PM

Because the way prices are set is when two people agree on a fair market price. That's usually by exchange sites.

brokedummy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 07:36:00 PM

Because the way prices are set is when two people agree on a fair market price. That's usually by exchange sites.

Prices are set ON exchanges by two people agreeing to a price. But the article insinuates that one of these people was Mark Karpeles.
precrime3

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2014, 07:45:59 PM

But usually people go on exchange site prices because they KNOW that people are accepting at that price, and don't want to haggle for a couple dollars if they can get instant liquidity. Like the offer to purchase FBI's 27k bitcoins seized from silk road for 15% below fair market price in order to offload all at once.

brokedummy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:42:29 PM

A lot of otherwise intelligent people still just don't understand how the price of a bitcoin is arrived at. I think a lot of people must think bitstamp and mt gox and btc-e bought a lof of bitcoins and now they are selling them? Perhaps we need some kind of education campaign to help them understand how the price is really determined?

Like I have friends that don't understand what gives a bitcoin its value. They just don't get that it's just other people buying the coins. It's so obvious to us, but for the people on the outside not so much.
zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:45:56 PM

Well the bitcoins are provided by miners if im not wrong, correct.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
pening

Activity: 245

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:49:08 PM

Is this really held by "people" or one person offering their minor conspiracy relating to MtGox, rather than spending 5 minutes to think of an alternative, rational market led reason, like new, keen people with fresh $ deposits pay a premium for convenience.  It is interesting if many don't get this, when its how other markets are priced: i wonder if they ignore how those markets arrive at a price or ignore that they are the same.  weird really.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 08:50:00 PM

These exchanges still operate on the model set forth by Mt Gox and will never be trusted by the masses. Bitcoin needs regulated markets and licensed brokers to be taken seriously.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
okie_freemen

Activity: 55
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:08:36 PM

A lot of otherwise intelligent people still just don't understand how the price of a bitcoin is arrived at. I think a lot of people must think bitstamp and mt gox and btc-e bought a lof of bitcoins and now they are selling them? Perhaps we need some kind of education campaign to help them understand how the price is really determined?

Like I have friends that don't understand what gives a bitcoin its value. They just don't get that it's just other people buying the coins. It's so obvious to us, but for the people on the outside not so much.

Actually this is exactly what happened
Bitcoin Magazine

Activity: 252

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:11:44 PM

so they set the prices above other exchanges and won't give back the BTC>  sounds like something's a brewing.  maybe their doing some magic math to boost bitcoin to $4000 we can only hope    Cheesy

personally i tried signing up to Mt. Gox on several occasions but couldn't get past the fact it had "magic the gathering" in it's name.  i hate card games and tricks.  BitStamp for me ONLY    Grin

i am here.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 07, 2014, 11:13:24 PM

In reality, only you set the price! For your coins.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:29:38 AM

A person can be a genius in one area, and a fool in another. 

windpath
Legendary

Activity: 1258
Merit: 1027

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 02:08:52 AM

This is one of the reasons I created my index (linked in my signature), I believe price transparency is very important for Bitcoins mass adoption.

We currently track 7 major exchanges, as I write this there is a 5.4% variance in exchange pricing, I have seen it as high as ~20% since we began tracking on March 7th.

I'm going to graph the variance over time (give me a day or 2), I predict as we see the variance decline over time, it will signal greater mass adoption for Bitcoin....and less opportunity for arbitrage. (remember prediction is difficult, especially about the future)

Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:27:29 AM

Most people don't understand how the price of anything is determined.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
hellscabane
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:30:37 AM

There is a lot of belief that exchanges "fix" prices because of how relatively easy it would be for several exchanges to collude and function as a market-maker of sorts. I'm not saying that it happens, but would you really be shocked if it did? I mean, the simple lack of auditability for virtually all bitcoin exchanges says a lot.

That's one of the biggest cons with an "unregulated" market.
NLNico
Legendary
hacker

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1295

DiceSites.com owner

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 02:51:47 AM

This is one of the reasons I created my index (linked in my signature), I believe price transparency is very important for Bitcoins mass adoption.

We currently track 7 major exchanges, as I write this there is a 5.4% variance in exchange pricing, I have seen it as high as ~20% since we began tracking on March 7th.

I'm going to graph the variance over time (give me a day or 2), I predict as we see the variance decline over time, it will signal greater mass adoption for Bitcoin....and less opportunity for arbitrage. (remember prediction is difficult, especially about the future)

CoinBase is actually the only one who does "set" prices right? Since it's not an exchange.

I can't blame you for included it on your site, but yeh it's not really an exchange Wink

jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 02:56:56 AM

There is a lot of belief that exchanges "fix" prices because of how relatively easy it would be for several exchanges to collude and function as a market-maker of sorts. I'm not saying that it happens, but would you really be shocked if it did? I mean, the simple lack of auditability for virtually all bitcoin exchanges says a lot.

Do any exchanges provide true transparency to see real time bids

windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:00:16 AM

CoinBase is actually the only one who does "set" prices right? Since it's not an exchange.

I can't blame you for included it on your site, but yeh it's not really an exchange Wink

Your right, CoinBase is not an "Exchange" in the true definition.

I included it because of it's ease of use, volume, and adoption rate.
windpath
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 03:02:05 AM

Do any exchanges provide true transparency to see real time bids

Most exchanges provide a public API (i.e. one that does not require authentication to access), however the data reported by the API is what the exchange reports, it is not easily verifiable...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: