Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 09:28:13 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Peeps with serious cash and banking contacts just heard about bitcoin.  (Read 3325 times)
Bigpiggy01 (OP)

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 04:41:23 PM

http://www.haaretz.com/weekend/magazine/money-shiny-new-coins-1.404597

I'm kind of curious to see what, if any, effect this will have on BTC prices.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 04:44:27 PM

up, up, and away!

hey man if they're buying and not mining, they're my new best friends.
caston

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 04:56:07 PM

Nakamura? They must mean satoshi

bitcoin BTC: 1MikVUu1DauWB33T5diyforbQjTWJ9D4RF
bitcoin cash: 1JdkCGuW4LSgqYiM6QS7zTzAttD9MNAsiK

-updated 3rd December 2017
ineededausername

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

bitcoin hundred-aire

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 05:04:53 PM

Centralized inspection ensures that the coins are mined at a pace determined in advance. The principle of mining ensures that the currency will never suffer from inflation. The quantity of coins is limited and supervised by a central agency.

They certainly did their homework!

derp derp derp Sad
edit: At least rich folks heard about it, so if it's not very correct, they'll figure it out sooner or later anyways.

(BFL)^2 < 0
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 05:08:54 PM

Centralized inspection ensures that the coins are mined at a pace determined in advance. The principle of mining ensures that the currency will never suffer from inflation. The quantity of coins is limited and supervised by a central agency.

How the hell did they get that wrong.  I mean it is a cornerstone of crypto-currency. 
Bigpiggy01 (OP)

Activity: 1138
Merit: 523

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 05:10:40 PM

I know this isn't the most fantastic explanation of bitcoin.  Wink Unless you look at the positive vs negative adjectives in the article.

However, the question is what this ,if anything, will do to prices? Particularly with the almost hype spin (in investment for conservatives terms) on some of this stuff.

Is a fair simile for what the code does if it were to be put in fairly old school fiat terms.

▄▄▄█
              ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
      ▄▄█████████████████▀  ▄█
   ▄██████████████████▀ ▄▄██▀
  ███████████████▀▀  ▄▄█▀▀
 ███████████▀▀▀     ▀▀
 ██████▀▀   ▄    █
 ███▀  ▄▄████   ▐█
 █▀   ▄████▀   ▄█▌
      ▀▀▀    ▄██▌
▐▄ ▀█▄▄  ▄▄████▀
██▀  ▀▀█████▀▀
▐▌
RAPTOREUM
  TOKENIZING THE WORLD!
  ██▀
▐▌
▐║
▐║
▐▌
██▄
[ POW Algorithm: GhostRider    Anti-FPGA/ASIC ]
Assets/Tokens Masternodes Smart Contracts

.51% / Double Spend Protection, Instant Speed, Private Send.
▀██
▐▌
║▌
║▌
▐▌
▄██
█▀

█▄
◈ ──  SOCIAL MEDIA ─── ◈
Reddit Telegram Discord
Twitter  Medium GitHub
▀█
  █
  █
  █
  █
  █
▄█
caston

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 05:10:55 PM

An inflexible limit of about 21 million coins has been set, which will be reached around the year 2140.

Wow I thought it was sooner than that?

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 05:15:19 PM

An inflexible limit of about 21 million coins has been set, which will be reached around the year 2140.

Wow I thought it was sooner than that?

No that is right however due to halving of block rewards we will have 99% of coins minted by 2030 and 94% by 2020.

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_Currency_Supply
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 05:25:01 PM

LOL.  perhaps deception is the best way to advance our cause? Wink

edit:  Bitcoin is a centralized, closed source, inflationary fiat currency, designed to promote maximum leverage, manipulated by our glorious Fed for the purposes of enriching the 1%.  did i get that right?
proudhon
Legendary

Activity: 2198
Merit: 1311

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 06:20:32 PM

Sweet, where can I buy Nakamuru's centralized currency?  I'd like to diversify in case bitcoin doesn't work out.

Bitcoin Fact: the price of bitcoin will not be greater than $70k for more than 25 consecutive days at any point in the rest of recorded human history.
caston

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 08:29:58 PM

Yeah I'm getting a bit tired of how 5 million coins were given out for one tenth of a cent and then the rest of us are expected to pay at least $4 for them.

bb113

Activity: 728

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 08:46:02 PM

Where is this coming from?

During those difficult moments, the Bitcoin community turned to its founder and creator, Nakamura, from whom they had last heard in April 2011, before the hack. When he refused to reveal himself, the conspiracy theories were not long in coming. Nakamura was suspected of belonging to some government organization, and of being the Bernie Madoff of the new Ponzi scheme: the Bitcoin. He was accused of mining coins when they had no value, in order to redeem them with complete anonymity later on.
smickles

Activity: 446
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2011, 08:51:05 PM

Where is this coming from?

During those difficult moments, the Bitcoin community turned to its founder and creator, Nakamura, from whom they had last heard in April 2011, before the hack. When he refused to reveal himself, the conspiracy theories were not long in coming. Nakamura was suspected of belonging to some government organization, and of being the Bernie Madoff of the new Ponzi scheme: the Bitcoin. He was accused of mining coins when they had no value, in order to redeem them with complete anonymity later on.
The mind of the writer.

cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 08:58:58 PM

Yeah I'm getting a bit tired of how 5 million coins were given out for one tenth of a cent and then the rest of us are expected to pay at least $4 for them.

Seriously. Satoshi should have emailed everyone in the world before mining the genesis block. I'm sure everyone would have jumped on the opportunity! I know all the early adopter haters would have. After all, it's obvious that the coins would one day be worth more than 1/10th of a cent.

Of course, the people without email would have to be informed in other ways.

Oh and people without computers would have to be given time to buy computers.

And well, we would have to pool our resources and buy computers for the people who couldn't afford them. After all, it's not fair to not be able to mine Bitcoins for whatever reason.

So, once everyone on the planet had a computer and knew about mining, we could start the genesis block!

yes, but i think we would have had to actually buy the bitcoins for the skeptics b/c we just couldn't have allowed them to fall behind despite the fact that they would have refused to spend the time and money to upkeep those same computers and pay the electricity bills. they would've then paid us back i'm sure when the price hit $32.  come on, be fair.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 10:03:58 PM

yes, but i think we would have had to actually buy the bitcoins for the skeptics b/c we just couldn't have allowed them to fall behind despite the fact that they would have refused to spend the time and money to upkeep those same computers and pay the electricity bills. they would've then paid us back i'm sure when the price hit $32.  come on, be fair.

Plus, anyone who sold Bitcoins for less than the current market value should be compensated for their loss. We should probably just lock in the price as well, so no one can be taken advantage of in the future. And uhh, all the fiat currency prices will have to be locked in too. We should probably have a police state, someone is going to have to enforce all of this. It's only fair. Now the only question is who is going to be the benevolent dictator, you or me?

This is where my sense of fairness ends; ME.
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
December 30, 2011, 11:00:30 PM

Plus, anyone who sold Bitcoins for less than the current market value should be compensated for their loss. We should probably just lock in the price as well, so no one can be taken advantage of in the future. And uhh, all the fiat currency prices will have to be locked in too. We should probably have a police state, someone is going to have to enforce all of this. It's only fair. Now the only question is who is going to be the benevolent dictator, you or me?

We already see the advantage of replacing human authority with technology evidenced with Bitcoin.  It is only a matter of time until technology further permeates our lives, so that our global "benevolent dictator" will not be cursed by the limitations of humanity.  The dictator may even be decentralized.

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
caston

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 03:14:26 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2011, 09:34:56 AM by caston

Seriously. Satoshi should have emailed everyone in the world before mining the genesis block. I'm sure everyone would have jumped on the opportunity! I know all the early adopter haters would have. After all, it's obvious that the coins would one day be worth more than 1/10th of a cent.

Of course, the people without email would have to be informed in other ways.

Oh and people without computers would have to be given time to buy computers.

And well, we would have to pool our resources and buy computers for the people who couldn't afford them. After all, it's not fair to not be able to mine Bitcoins for whatever reason.

So, once everyone on the planet had a computer and knew about mining, we could start the genesis block!

Yes, about July 2009 I have messages in my sent items on gmail e-mailiing the developer of cclite (LETS like alternate currency system) trying to get it working but didn't find bitcoin on sourceforge because it didn't use the word "currency" once it its project description instead using "money" and "digital cash".  I had downloaded cclite from sourceforge while looking for alternate currency projects.

I was pretty much obsessed with alternate currencies (joined bartercard in Jan 2009) then looked for free and open source options after that and ending up starting a LETS trading system for my city called Perth-Exchange which was part of the CES LETS like systems. I was active on openmoney.ning.com and the community exchange ning website and I scoured the web for alternate currency systems looking at pages like the meta-currency project and money 2.0 and but somehow bitcoin slipped under my radar. I can even remember at one point in 2010 trying to wash pink house paint off my van that some girls had painted it with (took a VERY long time) and I was thinking that there was some sort of alternate currency I should be trying to get but I wasn't sure what that currency was called.

But the strangest thing is when I saw the message on slashdot that bitcoin had reached parity I remembered seeing it somewhere before I just can't remember exactly where and at what date. I have recently been searching for mentions of bitcoin on google between Jan 2009 and Jan 2010 and only a few obscure pages seem to come up. Mainly the original announcements on the cryptography mailing list and on the p2p foundations ning site. There was also possibly a usenet group comp.encryption.general that the originally PDF was posted to in 2008. I have since subscribed to the crypotraphy mailing list and setup google search to notify me when new pages with keywords about digital money and so on come up.

So now i'm fucked... missed the only chance i'll ever likely have of getting my own house as the cheapest ones cost about 350k here and I have no funding for the Rejuvepedia project and its spin-off project in-utero. These projects I have started to help foster open source radical life extension technology.

I have developed an unhealthy fascination with somehow going back in time and gently nudging myself on the shoulder and saying "psst search for digital cash on sourceforge" or  various other means that would have led to me getting into bitcoin early even stuff as ridiculous as google alerts for Wei dai's "bmoney" as this is something I *do* vaguely remember reading about. This includes going back to my old facebook discussions and photos from early 2009 and sending messages to myself telling me to get into bitcoin.

mjcmurfy

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 03:28:42 AM

yes, but i think we would have had to actually buy the bitcoins for the skeptics b/c we just couldn't have allowed them to fall behind despite the fact that they would have refused to spend the time and money to upkeep those same computers and pay the electricity bills. they would've then paid us back i'm sure when the price hit $32.  come on, be fair.

We already see the advantage of replacing human authority with technology evidenced with Bitcoin.  It is only a matter of time until technology further permeates our lives, so that our global "benevolent dictator" will not be cursed by the limitations of humanity.  The dictator may even be decentralized.

+1
The singularity is near!
Have you ever read anything by Ray Kurzweil? If not, I highly recommend that you do.

http://www.bitcointorrentz.com/images/bct_button_117_30.png - BitCoinTorrentz.com: High-speed HTTP torrent downloads. 0.05 btc/gb. Up to 50% discount with free membership!
Crypt_Current

Activity: 686

Shame on everything; regret nothing.

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:11:55 PM

yes, but i think we would have had to actually buy the bitcoins for the skeptics b/c we just couldn't have allowed them to fall behind despite the fact that they would have refused to spend the time and money to upkeep those same computers and pay the electricity bills. they would've then paid us back i'm sure when the price hit $32.  come on, be fair.

We already see the advantage of replacing human authority with technology evidenced with Bitcoin.  It is only a matter of time until technology further permeates our lives, so that our global "benevolent dictator" will not be cursed by the limitations of humanity.  The dictator may even be decentralized.

+1
The singularity is near!
Have you ever read anything by Ray Kurzweil? If not, I highly recommend that you do.

Yes; I just watched the Transcendant Man a few... months ago.  I need to watch it again.  Can't put it on around my gf -- she thought it was "boring"  Roll Eyes Tongue

10% off at CampBX for LIFE:  https://campbx.com/main.php?r=C9a5izBQ5vq  ----  Authorized BitVoucher MEGA reseller (& BTC donations appreciated):  https://bitvoucher.co/affl/1HkvK8o8WWDpCTSQGnek7DH9gT1LWeV5s3/
LTC:  LRL6vb6XBRrEEifB73DiEiYZ9vbRy99H41  NMC:  NGb2spdTGpWj8THCPyCainaXenwDhAW1ZT
antoineph

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2012, 04:27:12 PM

Can't put it on around my gf -- she thought it was "boring"  Roll Eyes Tongue
get new gf  Grin

srsly
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: