Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 03:52:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buying and selling quickly  (Read 576 times)
nuggetbram (OP)

Activity: 326
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:14:22 AM

After looking at a few exchanges, their prices seem to differ by about $40 or so, sometimes more. Would it be at all worth it to buy 1 BTC from one exchange then sell on another immediately?
I realize there are fees etc, but how much would they impact?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 4680

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:43:21 AM

After looking at a few exchanges, their prices seem to differ by about $40 or so, sometimes more. Would it be at all worth it to buy 1 BTC from one exchange then sell on another immediately?

There are fees required to get the local currency into one exchange.  Then there are fees required to perform the purchase of the bitcoins at the exchange.  Then there are fees required to perform the sale of the bitcoins at the second exchange.  Then there are fees required to transfer the local currency out of the second exchange.

Once you've paid all those fees, you also have to deal with the exchange rate changing during the hour or so that it takes you to transfer the bitcoins from one exchange to the other, which could result in you selling the bitcoins for less than you bought them.

Is it possible to make a profit this way?  Sometimes, but there is a significant risk that you will lose money instead.  You'll have to add up all the fees, and see if the risk is worth it to you.
LakeBTC

Activity: 903
Merit: 1000

LakeBTC.com

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 07:52:48 AM

arb traders are welcomed in our exchange LakeBTC.com  Grin

LakeBanker: Free Banking for the World     LakeBanker.com   Token Sale. Participate Now!
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 07:57:39 AM

I am afraid that it is not that simple. You can move Bitcoins from one exchange to another pretty much quickly (may be in a few hours), but to move cash from one exchange to another you will have to wait for days.
meawleir21

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 05:32:45 AM

The problem about that is the -withdrawal and deposit methods and fees associated with the process- I remember I though about that regarding Bitstamp and BTC-E but the fees/methods require allot of effort for each exchange (and the price could change in the intervals between them).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: