Bitcoin Forum
May 01, 2024, 11:37:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any miner worth buying right now  (Read 1929 times)
black3000gt (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 07:01:14 AM

Just curious if there are any miners worth buying or if I would be better off just buying coin at these prices. I have 3 S1's running and was thinking of adding 3 more since they are only about $400 each. I was trying to hold out for the S2's but buy the time i could get it, i would have the S1's mining for a couple weeks. Any opinions?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
TheRealSteve

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:25:42 AM

just run the calculations?  keep your crystal ball ready for the exchange rate / difficulty adjustment parts of the equation.

dani

Activity: 525

..yeah

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:14:49 AM

S1 is the best option right now - though I don't think it's a good one. Any other vendor has worse prices: S1 is 400$/180Gh = 2,22$/gh. Nobody can beat that (except fairy tales with preorder delivered in 2020).
Still with a roughly 60% difficulty increase per month it will pay for itself in November. That's 7 1/2 months, and you will only reach this if you don't need to pay electricity and btc price stays the same. Now who has free electricity? I mean free as in for free, not free as in solar power.

I'd rather not buy it. Ever since this asic game began there were only very few deals where people ROIed.. this is none of them.

Hai
Lamber

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:21:11 AM

ASICs is not very good in long term, try to get gpu rig and mine early launched coins, then sellthem when they hit the exchanges.
ajw7989
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:34:03 PM

Just curious if there are any miners worth buying or if I would be better off just buying coin at these prices. I have 3 S1's running and was thinking of adding 3 more since they are only about $400 each. I was trying to hold out for the S2's but buy the time i could get it, i would have the S1's mining for a couple weeks. Any opinions?

THe S2s I do not see returning an ROI, neither the S1s. I personally just sold my S1 miner because the amount of btc it makes in a day is getting pretty pathetic (0.016) compared to when I started (0.032). I sold it for more than I will ever further mine on the device. I would not recommend either with the new bumps in difficulty that is going to happen due to the new 1th+ miners coming in full force now.
ChuckBuck

Activity: 1372
Merit: 783

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 01:32:35 PM

ASICs is not very good in long term, try to get gpu rig and mine early launched coins, then sellthem when they hit the exchanges.

Mining with GPU's is even more dead.  Once Alpha-T Viper and KNC Titan Asic Scrypt Miners hit the market, it's over for those AMD R9 rigs.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
     ▄████▀▀           ▀▀████▄
   ▄███▀▀   ▄▄████████▄▄   ▀▀███▄
  ████▀   ████▀██████████    ▀███▄
 ████   ▄███▀▄  ▀    ██████   ▀███▄
▄███   ████▄    ▄█▄  ▀██████    ███▄
████  ▄███▀     ▀█▀      ▀███▄  ████
████  ████▄▄█▄      ▄█▄   ████  ████
████  ▀████████▄   ███▀  ▄███▀  ████
▀███   █████████▄   ▀   ▀████   ███▀
 ████   ▀████████   ▄ ▀▄▄██    ████
  ████▄   ███████▄▄██▄▄███   ▄████
   ▀███▄▄   ▀▀████████▀▀   ▄▄███▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
coinnewbit

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:33:35 PM

Mining with GPU's is even more dead.  Once Alpha-T Viper and KNC Titan Asic Scrypt Miners hit the market, it's over for those AMD R9 rigs.
How much do/will they cost?
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 01:37:17 PM

How much do/will they cost?

I think the cheapest Viper at 16MH/s is around $700 and the Titan at 250MH/s is $10,000.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
nuff

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:45:21 PM

You already have 3 s1. Either you get 3 more (they still have a good few months in them imo) then sell them when you're done, or sell all 3 of your s1 and directly buy coins instead. No need to consider any other miners unless you're not looking to get back your ROI.
Syke
Legendary

Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:30:16 PM

S1 is the best deal right now. Here's my rough estimate on a new S1:

http://btcinvest.net/en/bitcoin-mining-profit-calculator.php?diff=6119726089&dcosts=400&diff_mincrease=15&blpbtc=25&dhsmhs=200000&diff_mincreasedecrease=5&btcusd=449.88&dpowcon=400&btcusd_mincrease=0&pcost=.10&calcweeks=26&dleadtime=1&action=calc

Break even in 4 months, but only if you have a decent price on electricity. Summer cooling costs could eliminate any chance of profit.

Buy & Hold
black3000gt (OP)

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 03:37:12 PM

I've almost returned my investment on my Ants. I personally believe by the end of the year BTC will be 1000-2000usd. I am not worried about short term return as i am in for the long haul.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:35:15 PM

The advantage with GPUs is you can always sell (or use) them later. My home system just got a free R9 290 upgrade since I've shutdown a small scrypt farm.

The issue is dedicated H/W. For example I have a single BFL FPGA single sitting around waiting to go in the trash. There is nothing else to do with it.

ASIC H/W that is power efficient will at least last several years where you can run it at around break even. However ASIC H/W that is not power efficient only has a short lifetime since better H/W makes it unprofitable to even turn on.

This is why buying early ASICs was always a losing option, you are buying something that is guaranteed to have a short lifetime and long ROI...
precrime3

Activity: 84

PM for journalist,typing,and data entry services.

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 05:37:26 PM

IMO mining isn't worth it, cloud mining if you truly insist xD. Its pretty cheap, check out pbmining. But yeah the antminer s1 is pretty decent too, but its loud and hot. Preordering a scrypt ASIC is also a very viable option. I prefer fibonacci as they have good reputation and matching the kh/s to $ ratio of Titan KNC (.04/khs).

ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 05:43:26 PM

The advantage with GPUs is you can always sell (or use) them later. My home system just got a free R9 290 upgrade since I've shutdown a small scrypt farm.

The issue is dedicated H/W. For example I have a single BFL FPGA single sitting around waiting to go in the trash. There is nothing else to do with it.

ASIC H/W that is power efficient will at least last several years where you can run it at around break even. However ASIC H/W that is not power efficient only has a short lifetime since better H/W makes it unprofitable to even turn on.

This is why buying early ASICs was always a losing option, you are buying something that is guaranteed to have a short lifetime and long ROI...

You won't be able to sell those GPU's when the market will be flooded with R9 290x's after all Scrypt miners shut their rigs down due to the massive network hash jump.  A few pennies a day isn't worth it running a 5 or 6 card GPU rig, especially with the electrical costs.

With Asic's you always have the good people of EBay.   Grin

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:56:42 PM

You won't be able to sell those GPU's when the market will be flooded with R9 290x's after all Scrypt miners shut their rigs down due to the massive network hash jump.  A few pennies a day isn't worth it running a 5 or 6 card GPU rig, especially with the electrical costs.

Those GPUs are already flooding eBay and the prices are depressed but holding up because the GPU market is larger than the scrypt mining market. I just sold one for a ~33% loss over December pricing, disappointing but still profitable with mining factored in.

If those were unprofitable ASICs that had to be scraped, then I would have lost money.
ChuckBuck

better everyday ♥

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 12:08:45 AM

Those GPUs are already flooding eBay and the prices are depressed but holding up because the GPU market is larger than the scrypt mining market. I just sold one for a ~33% loss over December pricing, disappointing but still profitable with mining factored in.

If those were unprofitable ASICs that had to be scraped, then I would have lost money.

I agree that now's the time to unload the GPU's before all the big Scrypt Asics come out.

Depends on the ASIC.  The KNC Jupiters from last year still sell for a premium.

CharityAuction
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
          ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄   
       ▄▄███████▀▀▀▀███████▄
       ▀▀███████▄▄▄▄███████▀▀
           ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
ColdScam
SlipperySlope

Merit: 501

Stephen Reed

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:16:29 AM

Additionally, a portion the GPU mining community is excited about ASIC-resistant algorithms such as Scrypt-N and X11. The point of such altcoins is to change the algorithm should an ASIC be developed that threatens GPU miners. Litecoin became the biggest altcoin because of the many GPU miners who wanted an ASIC-resistant algorithm, which Scrypt was at the time. With the expected domination of Litecoin mining by ASICs, the Litecoin devs are not going to change their algorithm, leaving a great opportunity for a more ASIC-resistant altcoin to supplant them. At least that is what I gather from the enthusiastic Vertcoin community on this forum.

I have three GPU rigs that I lease in return for bitcoin payments. I will lease to what ever altcoin returns the best profit, and as long as my electric cost does not exceed earned bitcoin revenue. I believe that there is an indefinite future for GPU mining as long as the rig operator is flexible with regard to mining algorithm. As has been pointed out many times, ASICs eventually become junk, but GPUs keep going and can be resold to gamers instead of junked.
precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 01:49:16 AM

I don't think gamers want to buy gpus that been ran at max load 24/7 for a while. I'm a gamer,  I know I wouldn't Tongue

TheRealSteve

FUN > ROI

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:09:30 AM

I don't think gamers want to buy gpus that been ran at max load 24/7 for a while. I'm a gamer,  I know I wouldn't Tongue
See it as an extended stress test - and those cards passed it Wink

precrime3

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 11:08:41 AM

See it as an extended stress test - and those cards passed it Wink

Then they went on another stress test... Then another.... Just no, never buying eBay gpus lol

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: