Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:14:49 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Offline mining?  (Read 16618 times)
the joint (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 06:46:19 AM

Is it possible to have an offline miner submit saved proof of work?

In other words, is it possible to have a miner attempt to solve blocks for a given period of time (say, 24 hours), store the hashes, and then submit all of the work to the network in bulk after the 24 hours? 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Hawkix

Activity: 531
Merit: 505

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 09:12:37 AM

Generally, NO.

However, if your "miner" can generate about 144 new blocks per day (about 8 TH/sec now), you have a chance to succeed. Smiley

Donations: 1Hawkix7GHym6SM98ii5vSHHShA3FUgpV6
http://btcportal.net/ - All about Bitcoin - coming soon!
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:45:19 AM

Generally, NO.

However, if your "miner" can generate about 144 new blocks per day (about 8 TH/sec now), you have a chance to succeed. Smiley

Really...

Could you please elaborate on how one would go about doing this, assuming they had access to that much hashing power?
Hawkix

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 10:05:46 AM

If you own more than 51% of the total hashing power, you can "overvote" the results of other miners. Still you will need to connect sooner than after a day. It was not meant as serious tip Smiley.

The reason you need to be connected to the Internet all the time is that there is new block found each approx. 10 minutes and once it is found, your current search must be dumped and you start again on new one. Also, in the rare chance you would find a block yourself, you need to broadcast it as soon as possible, otherwise someone other may take your victory and announce its own block instead of yours.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 10:15:23 AM

If you own more than 51% of the total hashing power, you can "overvote" the results of other miners. Still you will need to connect sooner than after a day. It was not meant as serious tip Smiley.

The reason you need to be connected to the Internet all the time is that there is new block found each approx. 10 minutes and once it is found, your current search must be dumped and you start again on new one. Also, in the rare chance you would find a block yourself, you need to broadcast it as soon as possible, otherwise someone other may take your victory and announce its own block instead of yours.

Well, let's (hypothetically, of course) say that you had access to around 2 t/hash.

Why do the results need to be dumped?  Why can't they be stored and submitted all at once such that you might get like 10 blocks back to back?

Edit:  In short, couldn't you simply have a computer take the hashing algorithm, process it offline, save the results of the work, connect to the network, then dump all the results at once?
Hawkix

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 10:46:50 AM

It can be dumped, but your chain must be longer than that already mined outside of your miners. With 2TH/sec the chances are very low you will prepare longer chain.

P4man

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 04:43:45 PM

Edit:  In short, couldn't you simply have a computer take the hashing algorithm, process it offline, save the results of the work, connect to the network, then dump all the results at once?

Blocks are linked. You need the previous block to calculate the nonce (which includes a hash of the previous block). Thats why you cant mine offline for longer than ~10 minutes. After 10 minutes you are essentially forking.

sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 04:51:41 PM
Last edit: January 01, 2012, 01:58:28 AM by sadpandatech

Edit:  In short, couldn't you simply have a computer take the hashing algorithm, process it offline, save the results of the work, connect to the network, then dump all the results at once?

Blocks are linked. You need the previous block to calculate the nonce (which includes a hash of the previous block). Thats why you cant mine offline for longer than ~10 minutes. After 10 minutes you are essentially forking.

^^ This answers the orignal question.

May I ask what is your goal? Are you trying to save bandwidth? Looking to 'mask' the reporting daemon? Trying to minimize net exposure?

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 07:19:56 PM

^^ This answers te orignal question.

May I ask what is your goal? Are you trying to save bandwidth? Looking to 'mask' the reporting daemon? Trying to minimize net exposure?

Well, I may have access to 2 T/hash under certain conditions, and hashing offline may be one of those conditions.
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 07:29:05 PM

Well, I may have access to 2 T/hash under certain conditions, and hashing offline may be one of those conditions.
forking is not exactly good for the network, because all the transactions in the past n blocks are now effectively reversed

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
plastic.elastic

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:31:05 AM

Noob, hows your basement operation going?

Tips gladly accepted: 1LPaxHPvpzN3FbaGBaZShov3EFafxJDG42
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:34:44 AM

Edit:  In short, couldn't you simply have a computer take the hashing algorithm, process it offline, save the results of the work, connect to the network, then dump all the results at once?

Not bad.  How is it running around the evolutionary cul-de-sac?

And in response to SadPandaTech, minimizing net exposure, yes.
plastic.elastic

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:53:13 AM

A true dumbass would never know why ppl call them a dumbass. You're a perfect example of that saying.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 03:54:38 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2012, 05:53:52 AM by DeathAndTaxes

If you can't connect the computing power to the internet (or some other method of updating the miners) it is useless for mining.  

Remember you need to be solving the next block.  Every 10 minutes "somebody' solves a block.   When that happens your data is stale and if you find a block it is useless as you are solving the wrong block.  A farm which could only connect to the internet once every minute would be horrible inefficient (stales) but would work.   On average you would lose 10% of your hashing power because the data has gone stale and you won't know it until the next update.  Still 2TH * 0.9 = 1.8TH effective.

Longer periods of time between updates will quickly make it impossible to work on the same blockchain as everyone else. Your only hope would be to build a longer chain in private and publish it all at once.  The problem is that for any extended period of time the odds you will have a longer chain is negligible.

As an example, say you have 25% of network capacity and decide to mine privately for x blocks and then publish them all at once if it is longer than the main chain.  

If x = 1 (connect to internet and publish block chain after finding one block) then you have a 25% chance of having longest chain.
If x = 2 (publish after finding two back to back blocks) then you have only a 0.25^2 = 6.25% chance.
If x = 3 0.25^3 = 1.56%
If x =6 0.25^6 = 0.02% (1 in 4096 chance).  Even 6 blocks is only on average 4 hours for a 2TH subnet.

So connecting to the network once every 6 blocks and checking to see if you are ahead would earn you (6 * 50 ) / 4096 = 0.08 BTC and it would take 4 hours.  Note you wouldn't earn 0.08 BTC each time.   You would earn 300 BTC 1/4096th of the time and 0 BTC 4095/4096th of the time.  On average despite having 2 TH you would only earn about 0.5 BTC per day (roughly the same as a 500 MH rig which is continually updated).

Now hypothetically if you have some constraint that you could RECEIVE data but only TRANSMIT every couple hours you could operate w/ full efficiency.  Variance would be astronomical (magnitudes higher than normal solo mining) but you could
1) send any block chain updates to the farm
2) if farm is more than 1 block behind it abandons the chain
4) if farm is ahead by 1 or more blocks and time greater than transmit threshold it transmits.

Since you are winning or losing multiple blocks per batch you are going to face very high variance but your expected return (EV) will be the same.
jjiimm_64
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:27:18 AM

helluva nice explanation .  I think I may have understood that Smiley

1jimbitm6hAKTjKX4qurCNQubbnk2YsFw
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 07:18:48 AM

A true dumbass would never know why ppl call them a dumbass. You're a perfect example of that saying.

Well, statistically, you have about a .5% chance of being more intelligent than I according to 'g.' 

Do you know what projection is?
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 07:19:20 AM

If you can't connect the computing power to the internet (or some other method of updating the miners) it is useless for mining.  

Remember you need to be solving the next block.  Every 10 minutes "somebody' solves a block.   When that happens your data is stale and if you find a block it is useless as you are solving the wrong block.  A farm which could only connect to the internet once every minute would be horrible inefficient (stales) but would work.   On average you would lose 10% of your hashing power because the data has gone stale and you won't know it until the next update.  Still 2TH * 0.9 = 1.8TH effective.

Longer periods of time between updates will quickly make it impossible to work on the same blockchain as everyone else. Your only hope would be to build a longer chain in private and publish it all at once.  The problem is that for any extended period of time the odds you will have a longer chain is negligible.

As an example, say you have 25% of network capacity and decide to mine privately for x blocks and then publish them all at once if it is longer than the main chain.  

If x = 1 (connect to internet and publish block chain after finding one block) then you have a 25% chance of having longest chain.
If x = 2 (publish after finding two back to back blocks) then you have only a 0.25^2 = 6.25% chance.
If x = 3 0.25^3 = 1.56%
If x =6 0.25^6 = 0.02% (1 in 4096 chance).  Even 6 blocks is only on average 4 hours for a 2TH subnet.

So connecting to the network once every 6 blocks and checking to see if you are ahead would earn you (6 * 50 ) / 4096 = 0.08 BTC and it would take 4 hours.  Note you wouldn't earn 0.08 BTC each time.   You would earn 300 BTC 1/4096th of the time and 0 BTC 4095/4096th of the time.  On average despite having 2 TH you would only earn about 0.5 BTC per day (roughly the same as a 500 MH rig which is continually updated).

Now hypothetically if you have some constraint that you could RECEIVE data but only TRANSMIT every couple hours you could operate w/ full efficiency.  Variance would be astronomical (magnitudes higher than normal solo mining) but you could
1) send any block chain updates to the farm
2) if farm is more than 1 block behind it abandons the chain
4) if farm is ahead by 1 or more blocks and time greater than transmit threshold it transmits.

Since you are winning or losing multiple blocks per batch you are going to face very high variance but your expected return (EV) will be the same.

Thank you for this!
TeaL

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:47:29 AM

Was no-one else curious about how he would have access to 2 TH?
plastic.elastic

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:06:35 AM

Do you really need to ask?

Look up the fucker's thread history, you will see his thread about "free" electricity

I'm not suprised, he got another "free" computational power some where....

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:29:41 PM

Look up the fucker's thread history, you will see his thread about "free" electricity

Yeah.  Because, you know, I really want to attempt to squeeze out 2 T/hash using the free electricity I get from renting a room of a house that was built in the 1950's.

Got to 1 T/hash before my clothes started to melt into my skin.
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 06:57:01 PM

Yeah.  Because, you know, I really want to attempt to squeeze out 2 T/hash using the free electricity I get from renting a room of a house that was built in the 1950's.

Shocked

tl;dr solution; set in place 1 computer running a bitcoind daemon in VM. On same computer a server running pool server on a LAN IP that is capable of pointing to daemon on dif IP. The VM will have it's own net access via cell phone usb, etc. So isolated from the hashing network.  Simply point your hashers at the LAN pool. viola, they are isolated from the net and you are left with only a VM bitcoind communicating out.

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:00:38 PM

Shocked

tl;dr solution; set in place 1 computer running a bitcoind daemon in VM. On same computer a server running pool server on a LAN IP that is capable of pointing to daemon on dif IP. The VM will have it's own net access via cell phone usb, etc. So isolated from the hashing network.  Simply point your hashers at the LAN pool. viola, they are isolated from the net and you are left with only a VM bitcoind communicating out.

This is beautiful.   Grin

I quite like the possibility of solving around 30 blocks per day.
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:12:12 PM

Make sure your custom server rig has 2 network adaptors in it. As you will need one to bind to the VM and one for the server. It may even be ideal to run 3 net adapters and 2 pools to try and split some of that hash up. Depending on resource usage and handling. I am not real sure just how resource intensive poolserverj, for example, can be with so much processing going on.  And you will surely stress the net adapters with all of the getworks.  Might even have to go, 2 bitcoind's, 2-4 pools , with appropriate number of network cards. atleast those are cheap. ;p
If I think of anything else I will add it. ;p

cheers

- GA

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:18:03 PM

Make sure your custom server rig has 2 network adaptors in it. As you will need one to bind to the VM and one for the server. It may even be ideal to run 3 net adapters and 2 pools to try and split some of that hash up. Depending on resource usage and handling. I am not real sure just how resource intensive poolserverj, for example, can be with so much processing going on.  And you will surely stress the net adapters with all of the getworks.  Might even have to go, 2 bitcoind's, 2-4 pools , with appropriate number of network cards. atleast those are cheap. ;p

cheers

If you needed to you could run a custom version of pool server designed to reduce LAN communication.  You could send one getwork to each machine w/ a 10 minute n-time-rolling.  Each local miner would hash the same block header and simply increment the time locally.  The pool server would simply issue a LP on each block change.  Using a larger difficulty for shares (since you don't care about share variance) could reduce the number of shares submitted by 90% or more. 

All together intra-LAN communication could be cut by at least 90%.  More is possible but the higher variance would prevent shares from being useful for monitoring on pool server.
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:20:22 PM

Make sure your custom server rig has 2 network adaptors in it. As you will need one to bind to the VM and one for the server. It may even be ideal to run 3 net adapters and 2 pools to try and split some of that hash up. Depending on resource usage and handling. I am not real sure just how resource intensive poolserverj, for example, can be with so much processing going on.  And you will surely stress the net adapters with all of the getworks.  Might even have to go, 2 bitcoind's, 2-4 pools , with appropriate number of network cards. atleast those are cheap. ;p

cheers

If you needed to you could run a custom version of pool server designed to reduce LAN communication.  You could send one getwork to each machine w/ a 10 minute n-time-rolling.  Each local miner would hash the same block header and simply increment the time locally.  The pool server would simply issue a LP on each block change.  Using a larger difficulty for shares (since you don't care about share variance) could reduce the number of shares submitted by 90% or more. 

All together intra-LAN communication could be cut by at least 90%.  More is possible but the higher variance would prevent shares from being useful for monitoring on pool server.
excellent points as always from you! =)  I do recall seeing some talk of such a feature in the mining software section. Do you recall if such a feature was already implemented into one of the pool server softwares?  *goes off to try and hunt it down*

cheers

- GA

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:24:11 PM

Thank you both DeathAndTexas and sadpandatech.  If you think of anything more, I really would appreciate it.  On the off chance that what I'm thinking of might actually come to fruition, both of you will be compensated heftily.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:53:02 PM

excellent points as always from you! =)  I do recall seeing some talk of such a feature in the mining software section. Do you recall if such a feature was already implemented into one of the pool server softwares?  *goes off to try and hunt it down*

IIRC PoolServerJ supports custom difficulty (difficulty >1 ) not sure if there is any upper limit.  PoolServerJ also support n-time-rolling but not sure if there is a max limit.  If anything the changes would be small.  To minimize LAN communication you would want to ensure PoolServerJ doesn't send updated work when new transactions are added and merkle tree changes. 

Essentially you would want
a) large difficulty (the difficulty reduces the amount of share traffic submitted).  2TH combined would find 456 shares per second.  A difficulty of 100 would make that ~5 shares found per second.

b) long n-time-rolling.  Not sure if there is a max limit or any bugs that would happen from  10 minut n-time-rolling period.  Likely just needs to be tested.

c) Ensure PoolServerJ only sends LP when block is detected on network.  Just need to check to make sure there are no "keep alive" code, updates for transaction pool changes, and "idle miner" detection code.
plastic.elastic

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:09:14 PM

Where did you see me saying you have access to 2TH in your basement? Did god forget to put a brain in your skull? or is it your parents?

Its the definition of "free" that you dont understand. Loser

sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:11:12 PM

aye, Poolservj has work caching, etc. Without using it I am guessing. But it appears it can be set to only send new works on block changes. It also forms the getwork request localy, freeing up resource use on the bitcoind itself.

for C it does have idle detection but I believe it is capable of being on or off.

Best way to find out is get a box setup with VM and run bitcoind/PSJ and break out the ol ethereal on it. Slap as many mining instances as you can pointing at it. You can run multiple miners on one GPU for example to help simulate multiple connections. Get a few hours run and observe your packet counts and system loads and multiply it up.

*takes his rabbies shot and offers Plastic.Elastic a hug*

- GA

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:16:11 PM

DeathandTexas and Sadpandatech - I admit I have some research and consulting with others to do to understand the importance of your advice.  I need to construct a working model in my head of exactly what this will entail.  Thanks for the help! Smiley

Plastic.Elastic - What do you do to relax?  Electricity is "free" as defined by my lease.  I don't need your definition.
plastic.elastic

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:53:54 PM

DeathandTexas and Sadpandatech - I admit I have some research and consulting with others to do to understand the importance of your advice.  I need to construct a working model in my head of exactly what this will entail.  Thanks for the help! Smiley

Plastic.Elastic - What do you do to relax?  Electricity is "free" as defined by my lease.  I don't need your definition.

Is this 2TH/s computing also "free" in... -i dont know- your tuition fee?

Not only you're stupid, you're lack of morals .... a great combo of failure

plastic.elastic

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 08:55:54 PM

aye, Poolservj has work caching, etc. Without using it I am guessing. But it appears it can be set to only send new works on block changes. It also forms the getwork request localy, freeing up resource use on the bitcoind itself.

for C it does have idle detection but I believe it is capable of being on or off.

Best way to find out is get a box setup with VM and run bitcoind/PSJ and break out the ol ethereal on it. Slap as many mining instances as you can pointing at it. You can run multiple miners on one GPU for example to help simulate multiple connections. Get a few hours run and observe your packet counts and system loads and multiply it up.

Helping him to steal isnt exactly how you should show your intelligence. If he must ask these questions he sure doesnt know jack and will be caught easily.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:14:11 PM

Helping him to steal isnt exactly how you should show your intelligence. If he must ask these questions he sure doesnt know jack and will be caught easily.

Stop fabricating things when it's obvious that you have absolutely no clue as to what I'm planning.

You should watch your language and your accusations of me 'stealing.'   I don't steal anything. 
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:14:23 PM

Although I have not devoted a whole lot of thought to 'how is this person accessing 2TH worth of computing power', it seems atleast somewhat 'legit'. I would sure hope he is not stealing anything. Some basic things that lead me to believe it are that he will need physical access for any of my suggestions. His concern of limiting the Internet exposure of the machines is more in line with needing to be able to ensure the security of them more so than to 'hide'. I mean, any network admin on the planet would notice the usage...

If he must ask, he may not be ready for such a project but 'being caught' implies doing something wrong to begin with. Otherwise such an ambitous project is good in excercise to learn from if nothing else.

Whether you are just being antagonistic with implying I am being helpful to show my intelligence, I do not know. But my IQ is really quite low as far as I can tell.

And if it is real, then in the grand scheme of things another ~2TH only goes to further strengthen the network as a whole. That being my main motivator beyond just being helpful, if only mildly helpful.

cheers

- GA

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:20:47 PM

Plastic.Elastic - What do you do to relax?  Electricity is "free" as defined by my lease.  I don't need your definition.

Is this 2TH/s computing also "free" in... -i dont know- your tuition fee?

Not only you're stupid, you're lack of morals .... a great combo of failure

I never said the 2 TH/s is free.  But it's cheap enough that I could stand to make a few grand every day.  Me gaining access to these 2 TH/s would mean a priori approval by the entity[ies] controlling the 2 TH/s.

And, I believe the two fine gentlemen helping me may have identified some ways that will allow me to have my request approved.

It's called being sociable, forming good relationships, and establishing connections.  Try it sometime.  Like I said, if this eventually works, I will handsomely reward both of them for their help.  No guarantees it will, though.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:24:26 PM

Although I have not devoted a whole lot of thought to 'how is this person accessing 2TH worth of computing power', it seems atleast somewhat 'legit'. I would sure hope he is not stealing anything. Some basic things that lead me to believe it are that he will need physical access for any of my suggestions. His concern of limiting the Internet exposure of the machines is more in line with needing to be able to ensure the security of them more so than to 'hide'. I mean, any network admin on the planet would notice the usage...

If he must ask, he may not be ready for such a project but 'being caught' implies doing something wrong to begin with. Otherwise such an ambitous project is good in excercise to learn from if nothing else.

Whether you are just being antagonistic with implying I am being helpful to show my intelligence, I do not know. But my IQ is really quite low as far as I can tell.

And if it is real, then in the grand scheme of things another ~2TH only goes to further strengthen the network as a whole. That being my main motivator beyond just being helpful, if only mildly helpful.

cheers

Your assumption about ensuring the security of the machines is correct.  You could say I'm trying to hide the machines from others who might wish to steal.

And yes, I hope to learn a lot from this whether I succeed or fail.
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:36:01 AM

cheers

Your assumption about ensuring the security of the machines is correct.  You could say I'm trying to hide the machines from others who might wish to steal.

Interesting.  Going to watch this thread.

By my estimation, 2 THash/sec is about 5000 moderately high end GPUs, or several times that number of GPUs if they are the sort that normally end up in supercomputers, and needs a large fraction of a megawatt of power (at least).  It is also larger than most pools.

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:51:08 AM

cheers

Your assumption about ensuring the security of the machines is correct.  You could say I'm trying to hide the machines from others who might wish to steal.

Interesting.  Going to watch this thread.

By my estimation, 2 THash/sec is about 5000 moderately high end GPUs, or several times that number of GPUs if they are the sort that normally end up in supercomputers, and needs a large fraction of a megawatt of power (at least).  It is also larger than most pools.

Yes.  I am not sure of the exact computational power of the machines I am interested in using.  It actually may be a very poor estimation because I am guessing based on petaflop output which, to my knowledge, is more or less irrational.

Regardless, it's a shit-ton of power.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:37:15 PM

Yes.  I am not sure of the exact computational power of the machines I am interested in using.  It actually may be a very poor estimation because I am guessing based on petaflop output which, to my knowledge, is more or less irrational.

FLOPs are floating point operations. If you can get access to a supercomputer thats any good at flops, it will almost certainly stink when it comes to sha256 hashing (integer). A typical TOP500 supercomputer may have trouble delivering higher hashrates than your typical 3x dual GPU mining rig.

Okay slight exaggeration perhaps, but not much; the top 250 supercomputer uses 12K xeon cores, which would roughly produce 12GH/s. Thats still only as good as ~6 good mining rigs.

the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:41:43 PM

FLOPs are floating point operations. If you can get access to a supercomputer thats any good at flops, it will almost certainly stink when it comes to sha256 hashing (integer). A typical TOP500 supercomputer may have trouble delivering higher hashrates than your typical 3x dual GPU mining rig

From what I was told, the machines I am interested in using are often used for sha256 hashing.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:48:20 PM

FLOPs are floating point operations. If you can get access to a supercomputer thats any good at flops, it will almost certainly stink when it comes to sha256 hashing (integer). A typical TOP500 supercomputer may have trouble delivering higher hashrates than your typical 3x dual GPU mining rig

From what I was told, the machines I am interested in using are often used for sha256 hashing.
Unless they have GPU's, it doesn't really matter.  P4man is right - you'll get hashes on the order of GH/s, not TH/s.  They may often be used for sha256 hashing, but 12 GH/s is quite enough for most sha256 hashing needs.  It's just not a whole lot when used for Bitcoin mining.

But good luck.  I only hope you DON'T have 2 TH/s, because I would hate to see my own miniscule mining profits drop by 20% overnight.  Do tell us whether it works out for you though.
the joint (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:49:53 PM

Unless they have GPU's, it doesn't really matter.  P4man is right - you'll get hashes on the order of GH/s, not TH/s.  They may often be used for sha256 hashing, but 12 GH/s is quite enough for most sha256 hashing needs.  It's just not a whole lot when used for Bitcoin mining.

But good luck.  I only hope you DON'T have 2 TH/s, because I would hate to see my own miniscule mining profits drop by 20% overnight.  Do tell us whether it works out for you though.

No prob.  I should be meeting with some colleagues to discuss everything this weekend.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 10:38:16 PM

Unless they have GPU's, it doesn't really matter.  P4man is right - you'll get hashes on the order of GH/s, not TH/s.  They may often be used for sha256 hashing, but 12 GH/s is quite enough for most sha256 hashing needs.  It's just not a whole lot when used for Bitcoin mining.

Exactly.  Outside of Bitcoin nothing needs to perform trillions of hashes per second.

1 GH = 2 billion hashes per second (Bitcoin is a double hash).  

Say you have a login server w/ passwords hashed as SHA-256.  Now everyone on the planet needs to login and they might all login at the same exact second.  Assuming you had fast enough disks, network, memory, etc you would "only" need roughly 4 GH to allow global simultaneous login of every human living (including those without computers or electricity "just in case").

That's just 4 GH.  Terra hash would be 250 times that.

I won't do the math but the same terra-scale factors apply to VPN/IPsec, digital signatures, document analysis, data sorting, deduplication, and other applications for hashing functions.
gat3way

Activity: 256
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 11:56:48 AM

Exactly.  Outside of Bitcoin nothing needs to perform trillions of hashes per second.

Password recovery and SL3 unlocking for sure does. Actually I would not be surprised if overall more computing resources are thrown at SL3 rather than bitcoin. It's more profitable overall.
rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
January 06, 2012, 03:10:58 PM

I can haz botnet?  Grin

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 02:37:14 AM

bitcoin network
  \|/
my bitcoind w/ static ip x.x.x.x <-- addnode=y.y.y.y
   |
(the internet)
   |
firewall <-- allow x.x.x.x:8333-y.y.y.y:8333 (bitcoin binary protocol)
   |
bitcoind w/ static ip y.y.y.y <-- connect x.x.x.x:8333 (only one outbound connection)
   |
firewall <-- allow z.z.z.z:8332-y.y.y.y:8332 (bitcoin rpc protocol)
   |
(my internal network)
   |
poolserver w/ static ip z.z.z.z
 /|\
mystery hash monsters

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
sadpandatech

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 03:17:59 AM

bitcoin network
  \|/
my bitcoind w/ static ip x.x.x.x <-- addnode=y.y.y.y
   |
(the internet)
   |
firewall <-- allow x.x.x.x:8333-y.y.y.y:8333 (bitcoin binary protocol)
   |
bitcoind w/ static ip y.y.y.y <-- connect x.x.x.x:8333 (only one outbound connection)
   |
firewall <-- allow z.z.z.z:8332-y.y.y.y:8332 (bitcoin rpc protocol)
   |
(my internal network)
   |
poolserver w/ static ip z.z.z.z
 /|\
mystery hash monsters

Thats exactly what I envision.  Am hoping he will update soon with having the server pc he is going to use for this so we can move on form there with tweaking it out.

- GA

plastic.elastic

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 12:42:24 PM

What a load of crap
And its amazing some of you guys actually believe he has a legitimate access to such computational power.

Op, you really think you can feed me with BS? read your last fcking thread about stealing then tell me you're doing a right thing this time.

When a guy got no fcking clue of what hes doing, its easy to catch his lies/bs.

sadpandatech

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 12:56:01 PM

What a load of crap
And its amazing some of you guys actually believe

Is there a need to believe anything when we're discussing a theoretical idea in the first place?

If nothing else, I desire to have a convo about this type of layout because I would also have interest in utilizing such a configuration for the security of my future mining ops.

P.S. Would you like a hug?

- GA

rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 02:01:30 PM

I think it is entirely possible that the government MAFIAA Iran rich folks of this world might have access to SHA256 cracking monsters, and that the market for such devices is only just starting to be realized. Such a device could be re-purposed (with a little work) to mine coins when it isn't being used for cracking passwords legit purposes.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
April 30, 2012, 12:56:37 AM

I'd be interested in whatever came of this... MysteryMiner?

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: