Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:52:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: can Geistgeld be merge mined  (Read 1809 times)
steelhouse (OP)

Activity: 717
Merit: 501

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 08:03:14 AM
Last edit: December 31, 2011, 08:15:28 AM by steelhouse

Now with ixc ioc nmc and btc merged mined, and Devcoin soon to be merged mined, maybe someone can update the code of geistgeld to be merged mined.  If it is possible.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Bobnova

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 04:58:44 PM

Could?  Almost certainly.
Should?  Absolutely not.
There are already longpolls every few seconds, GG would drop that to fractions of a second.  No thanks.

BTC:  1AURXf66t7pw65NwRiKukwPq1hLSiYLqbP
Ente
Legendary

Activity: 2126
Merit: 1001

View Profile
March 21, 2012, 08:14:33 AM

I just wrote this in the p2pool thread, it fits right in here too:

Small info:
I experimented with merged mining, and did so with GeistGeld. This alt-chain has a blockrate of only a few seconds (15, or 7 if it halved already). It did work, I solved some GeistGeld blocks. The reported hashrate by miners and p2pool was right as well. But after solving 10 shareblocks, I had 5 orphans and one dead. Must be because p2pool creates new work for the miners every few seconds, when GeistGeld reports a new block.
I switched Geistgeld merged mining off again, now I have around 10% orphans.

Of course this is an extrema, since GeistGeld is the fastest chain by far.

Ente

Hope that helps,

Ente
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 11:49:31 AM

Adding GeistGeld to the mix doesn't seem to be a big problem as far as I can tell. I have been doing it a while now and it seems to work fine for me with p2pool. However I am only running one 5870 card, maybe its worse when you have more hashing power?

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
3phase

Activity: 313
Merit: 251

Third score

View Profile
March 23, 2012, 02:10:44 PM

Adding GeistGeld to the mix doesn't seem to be a big problem as far as I can tell. I have been doing it a while now and it seems to work fine for me with p2pool. However I am only running one 5870 card, maybe its worse when you have more hashing power?

-MarkM-

Either you think you're mining GG but you're not, or GG is a totally screwed blockchain.

Let's assume for a moment that you are the only one in the world mining GG.

With 350 MH/s of a 5870 (having taken into account a large stales percentage) you should be solving a difficulty=1 block (2^32 hashes) every 12.2 seconds. Being that expected block generation interval is 15 seconds and retargeting is every 16 blocks, in a few minutes after you start mining with that 5870, difficulty should adjust to about 1.23 (give or take variance) and stay there as long as you keep on mining. 

However, every time I looked at it lately, GG difficulty is from 0.06 to 0.12, which means that the average hashpower mining it is 20-40 MH/s altogether.

To prove my point, I did mine GG with a 5870 about a month ago, just for fun, and the difficulty adjusted within a few retargets from 0.06 to 1.3-1.6. When I stopped, it went back to 0.06. Strangely enough, I was getting only about 70% of the blocks , which means someone else was getting the other 30% which would be impossible if they were mining with only 20-40 MH/s as the previous difficulty as suggesting.

So, I guess something is wrong either with your claims, or with your calculations, or with the blockchain algo itself.

Fiat no more.
Δoκιμάστε τo http://multibit.org - Bitcoin client τώρα και στα Eλληνικά
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
March 23, 2012, 03:22:04 PM

The difficulty it reports is definitely suspicious, yes. I also see crazy figures in p2pool for what my local hashrate is, minerd claiming 405 MHash or so yet p2pool claiming 15000 KHash or so, things like that. So I don't know how the calculations of hash rate and difficulty are being done. I do get blocks though, I even got a block of namecoin. So however it is working, it does seem to be working.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: