Bitcoin Forum
June 26, 2024, 10:16:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A simplified estimate for a $100,000 BTC  (Read 2050 times)
TooDumbForBitcoin (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 11:55:08 AM

http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/high_tech_telecoms_internet/internet_matters

The reference above estimates today's internet contribution to global GDP as 3.4%.

Using an order of magnitude estimate of global GDP of 100 trillion USD, the internet's contribution today is 3 trillion USD.

Using an optimistic guess that a fully evolved BTC economy will embody 50% of the internet economy the optimistic fully evolved BTC "GDP" will reach 1.5 trillion USD.

Using 15 million BTC to make the math easy, one BTC will be worth 100,000 USD in a fully evolved BTC economy.

(Applying this argument to today's price results in an estimate of 0.2% of today's internet economy transacted in BTC.  This is a huge overestimate, which I think can be explained by today's BTC price reflecting investment based on the potential of BTC.)

▄▄                                  ▄▄
 ███▄                            ▄███
  ██████                      ██████
   ███████                  ███████
    ███████                ███████
     ███████              ███████
      ███████            ███████
       ███████▄▄      ▄▄███████
        ██████████████████████
         ████████████████████
          ██████████████████
           ████████████████
            ██████████████
             ███████████
              █████████
               ███████
                █████
                 ██
                  █
veil|     PRIVACY    
     WITHOUT COMPROMISE.      
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
|   NO ICO. NO PREMINE. 
   X16RT GPU Mining. Fair distribution.  
|      The first Zerocoin-based Cryptocurrency      
   WITH ALWAYS-ON PRIVACY.  
|

▄▄████
              ▄▄████████▌
         ▄▄█████████▀███
    ▄▄██████████▀▀ ▄███▌
▄████████████▀▀  ▄█████
▀▀▀███████▀   ▄███████▌
      ██    ▄█████████
       █  ▄██████████▌
       █  ███████████
       █ ██▀ ▀██████▌
       ██▀     ▀████
                 ▀█▌

▄███████
   ████████
   ███▀
   ███
██████████
██████████
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███
   ███

▄▄█▀▀ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▀▀█▄▄
   ▐██▄▄██████████████▄▄██▌
   ████████████████████████
  ▐████████████████████████▌
  ███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
 ▐██████     ████     ██████▌
 ███████     ████     ███████
▐████████▄▄▄██████▄▄▄████████▌
▐████████████████████████████▌
 █████▄▄▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀▀▄▄█████
  ▀▀██████          ██████▀▀
      ▀▀▀            ▀▀▀
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 12:11:31 PM

The only question that should be asked is how much time it will take..? to become  50% of the E-economy

infofront
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 2790

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:31:31 PM

It'll never happen. For the vast majority of consumers, using credit cards for internet commerce is safer, more convenient, and cheaper.
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:49:10 PM

If Glass with its double-nod bitcoin payment catches on we can forget the internet economy, we are looking at a percentage of the total consumer economy. 100k is a conservative lowball estimate.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
Paashaas
Legendary

Activity: 3470
Merit: 4440

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:52:39 PM

It'll never happen. For the vast majority of consumers, using credit cards for internet commerce is safer, more convenient, and cheaper.

You made so many post and still not knowing what Bitcoin can do for consumers and retaillers/merchants? You know Overstock has accepting Bitcoin and making tons of money from it, they and we all love Bitcoin for some reason  Wink BitPay got there new EU HQ in Amsterdam and they expecting by they end of this year to have a whopping 35k merchants as there clients. (now 7k).

You need to think bigger, the world is a big place.
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 12:53:46 PM

Hmm how Credit cards are Safer , Convenient and cheaper than Bitcoin ATY ?

fonzie

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 12:59:36 PM

You can get refundend if you have been a victim of a scam. You don´t need to wire money to a bizarre exchange and pay fees. You don´t have to fear volatility. If you get hacked you will also get refunded.
It´s so much easier, safer and also faster to use credit cards.

"To know death, Otto, you have to fuck life in the gallbladder"
www.hsbc.com  - The world´s local bank
"These FUDsters are insane egomaniacs that just want cheap BTC" - oblivi
fonsie

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:04:52 PM

Credit cards are worthless now, since fiat is now worth 0 BTC, because the CEO of SSL has stolen all the fiat in the world and the banking ponzie has crashed.

I decided to no longer use a signature, because people were trolling me about it.
amano

Activity: 25
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 01:25:28 PM

Using 15 million BTC to make the math easy, one BTC will be worth 100,000 USD in a fully evolved BTC economy.

You're right on track with Rickard Falkvinge here, although the 100.000 is his low estimate ;-)

btw, found a nice list of predictions for 2014: nr 3 and 4 seems quite realistic from my point of view ;-)
http://crypt.la/2014/03/09/10-professional-bitcoin-price-predictions-2014/
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:25:40 PM
Last edit: April 08, 2014, 01:39:20 PM by BldSwtTrs

That's assuming nobody will store his wealth in BTC. Which is a wrong assumption.

We can assume that only 25% of all bitcoins will be avaible for payments, the remainder will be use to store wealth.
BldSwtTrs
Legendary

Activity: 861
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 01:37:13 PM

Also taking the global GDP or GWP is a mistake in my view.

GDP/GWP only account for a subset of global payments. There are a lot of payments which aren't include in these numbers (typically financial transactions and second hand market).

Non cash payments will be 750 trillion $ by 2020 : http://www.capgemini.com/resource-file-access/resource/pdf/The_8th_Annual_World_Payments_Report_2012.pdf
And this non cash payements number doesn't even include the settlements market. Open Transactions assess that the global payment number is 10 quadrillion: http://monetas.net/products

10 quadrillion $ is a damn big number. And it makes sense to make future BTC price calculations based on it.
rohnearner

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 01:46:29 PM

You can get refundend if you have been a victim of a scam. You don´t need to wire money to a bizarre exchange and pay fees. You don´t have to fear volatility. If you get hacked you will also get refunded.
It´s so much easier, safer and also faster to use credit cards.
I disagree On
CC fees are lower ac compared to BTC
Hacking is not a problem with CC
you don't have to Fear Volatility [even the rate of fiat currency fluctuates every day not as much as btc.. but as the time passes by btc will stabilize ]

and at the end I disagree on
CC is so much easier, safer and also faster

wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:48:19 PM

Credit cards are worthless now, since fiat is now worth 0 BTC, because the CEO of SSL has stolen all the fiat in the world and the banking ponzie has crashed.

Confirmed.
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1013

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 07:15:03 PM

Confirmed.

SSL as Secure Sockets Layer?

Anyway, I have always wondered where the word debit card comes from. I think it comes from DEBT. Credit cards are DEBT CARDS. Debt sucks. thus credit cards will die.

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:51:42 PM

Confirmed.

Anyway, I have always wondered where the word debit card comes from. I think it comes from DEBT. Credit cards are DEBT CARDS. Debt sucks. thus credit cards will die.

Until Bitcoin hits the point of simplicity that I have with a debit/credit card (literally a swipe and 5 second wait), its going to struggle to go mainstream. People are overestimating how easily they believe the general populace would adopt Bitcoin without things like this.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:54:00 PM

Confirmed.

Until Bitcoin hits the point of simplicity that I have with a debit/credit card (literally a swipe and 5 second wait), its going to struggle to go mainstream. People are overestimating how easily they believe the general populace would adopt Bitcoin without things like this.

The general populance adopting bitcoin would mean prices above $1mil

Nobody believe bitcoin will go to $1mil tomorrow

Calm down bro Cool
redhawk979

Activity: 271

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 08:55:10 PM

Confirmed.

Calm down bro Cool

I don't expect it to. I was simply making the point about how simplicity is a practical requirement for mass adoption.
podyx
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 1035

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:01:11 PM

Confirmed.

Calm down bro Cool

I don't expect it to. I was simply making the point about how simplicity is a practical requirement for mass adoption.

I agree with that but i'm confident we will see it in the future
Ibian
Legendary

Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:05:04 PM

Confirmed.

You will be getting google glass then? Nod twice and you just bought whatever you looked at.

Look inside yourself, and you will see that you are the bubble.
bitcoinsrus

Activity: 518

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 09:09:36 PM

Confirmed.

You will be getting google glass then? Nod twice and you just bought whatever you looked at.

What do you guys think of that google glass EAZE payment system?
Are you guys interested in buying and do you think consumers would buy (will it do well etc)?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: