Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 09:02:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows XP Support Now Dead  (Read 2803 times)
BigBrother

Activity: 439
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:22:40 AM

I am already miss Windows XP - I have been using it for a long before Win 7! Will never download Win8!
Wish they'd do something similar to XP

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 10:34:53 AM

I just can't wait for all of this system, ATMs and everything running on windowsxp for such a long time will need to change system and rewrite everything.

Actually, I wonder, since it would create some inconvenience in services for awhile, would some people decide to make transaction with different technology ... Wink

FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:35:16 AM
Last edit: April 09, 2014, 10:50:06 AM by FalconFly

Oh, and last time I had to install a Win8.1 for someone's son (gaming machine hardware I assembled & setup from scratch), this is basically what happened :
(25+ years of experience in hardware/OS ranging from DOS/Windows to CPM, Linux and Unix software & hardware maintenance)

- Hardware assembly was no sweat
- Drivers were a tad more confusing but that I credit to the Board manufacturer (mixed unessential bloatware with required drivers, which I had to sort out manually as the Driver CD had no Driver auto-install)
- there I found out Win8.1 still had no clue where to look for missing Drivers on its own, that still only works with age old default hardware stuff

Functional tests : play HD Video
Worked good, Windows Media player launched in acceptable speed (nothing other OS'es or VLC wouldn't easily beat but well...).
Pressed ESC to get out of fullscreen mode - FAIL. Tried again and FAIL... WTF? That's an old convention valid since decades ??!? Oh well, pressed ALT+Enter to get out of fullscreen - FAIL. W...T....F???
Now I'm getting really interested. Manually stopped the movie playback using the Media Player's GUI - and I get back to some MicroSoft Movie store and empty video libraries... *ugh* WHAT ?! You kiddin' me ? I ain't got no stinkin' Microsoft account so bugger off!
Tried Windows Keys on Keyboard to get something useful to happen but FAIL. Pressed ALT+F4 - FAIL. At this time I'm seriously giving that computer and MicroSoft some very unkind words I'd rather not post here...

At the first time, to quit the fullscreen Media Player I ended up pressing STRG+ALT+DEL to manually launch the Task Manager and kill the Media Player process.

It wasn't until I googled the Metro "magic edges" to "leave" "Apps" (fuck this ain't no fu**ing smartphone *&#$#) just to find out they don't even close and keep running in the background if done that way. Very resource-friendly ending up with multiple unneeded background programs clinging to limited resources... Not too bright folks, not too bright.
Seriously ? What drugs did the dev team take when they made all these terrible decisions ?

Functional Tests : 3D Benchmarks
Those ran okay but I initially did not enable the function "create Desktop Icon" when installing (after all, who trashes their Desktop with Icons right ? That's what we got a Start menu for...).
Or so I tought....
Looking to launch the Bench from the Metro GUI, I found out I have to scroll down one "tile screen" just to get to "Programs". Nice, very useful *lol*.

But hey, on the main screen I can see tiles advertising NYSE Stock indexes, current weather for a city 300mi away, live travel suggestions (WTF?) - and food places recommendations.... Food places... On the main screen of the GUI - of a Desktop system. *ugh* At this time I was at a loss of words for that ridiciulous, complete and total mess.

I even tried to make out if the basic uni colors of these tiles had any importance or contained some form of visual sort.... just to find out - no, apparently a drunk guy randomly assigned those, so not even those basic color tiles give you any additional clue (despite taking the whole goddarn screen).

I did find "Programs" - just to see is was a completely hopeless mess with no chance of giving it any reasonable sorting. At least the freshly installed software was lit in a highlighted color. Too bad that included all Drivers/Motherboard tools as well, so not even that helped.
I always thought the new Aero Start menu - Programs was degraded (hence they had to include a "search" function for programs), but Metro clearly beat everything seen to date.
Technically, I was easier to go to MS-DOS 5.0 and find out what commands were availale to that OS. That actually was far quicker.

I originally did have the intention of doing a few more tests - but happily reconsidered, since performing even the most basic tasks with this POS OS was taking me near a choleric heart attack.

On the most positive note of that day - this experience hardened my decision into solid monocrystalline Duranium that Metro would never get anywhere near my Desktop system.
--------------------
In the end, everything worked as advertised. Had no complaints there...
BUT how it worked was a complete and utter disaster. I gave away the assembled machine with clear instructions that OS related problems were none of my responsibilities and refused to yield any support to that junkhole of an OS.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
sanjoea

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:28:35 AM

Its favorite client operating system for all, we are going to miss it

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3696
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:45:22 AM

Well no. Browsing or downloading with Windows XP is the best way of getting tons of viruses, spywares, trojans & keyloggers.

Watching movie offline is fine.

Oh... you don't have to worry if you are having a good anti-Virus software. I am having Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, which is compatible with Windows XP.  Grin (Requires SP3 though).
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:32:47 PM

Minor updates and bugfixes would be sufficient. Instead there are major releases which are bloated with graphical gimmick that just waste system resources but add nothing substantial.

XP entire security model is broken.  Microsoft has tried to patch it as best they could but it is like adding suport to a house built on sand.   Windows 7 is vastly superior from a security standpoint.   There are whole classes of security vulnerabilities which affect XP only, 90%+ of botnet nodes are Windows XP machines.  Sure you could use a patch which completely rewrites the core processes of XP but you would essentially be creating Windows 7.  There is absolutely no reason to be using Windows XP at this point (or even four years ago).

If Windows 7 offered nothing else the inclusion of Address Space Layout Randomization (ASLR), PatchGuard, UAC, and Protected Mode Internet Explorer make it inherently more secure than Windows XP can ever be.

Even if this is true, security can't be a valid explanation for such massive wasting of system resources by later versions. Taking into account all odds I also doubt that Windows 7 is more secure. Who knows which (new) backdoors have been installed by three-letter organizations? It's also not always the best idea to have the newest version (see OpenSSL). Apart from that the probability of attack declines with lower market penetration, because there is less incentive to develop new malware for systems with few users.

So if I leave XP I'll go for Linux (a lightweight distribution).

Windows XP is completely shit because it has a limit of RAM and physical processors.

Not relevant if you have an older computer. On older computers it's much faster than any of its successors. And apart from newest games you can use all applications. So there's a reason why many businesses haven't updated yet: There are costs but no tangible benefits.

Well no. Browsing or downloading with Windows XP is the best way of getting tons of viruses, spywares, trojans & keyloggers.

This depends on your security settings, your behavior and the browser you are using. I'm using firefox with various security/privacy plugins with JavaScript deactivated by default.

act now

Activity: 166
Merit: 15

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:53:07 PM

Oh... you don't have to worry if you are having a good anti-Virus software. I am having Kaspersky Internet Security 2014, which is compatible with Windows XP.  Grin (Requires SP3 though).
Why you're not using win7? Is there any particular reason behind this or it's just a habit?
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:03:42 PM

Why you're not using win7? Is there any particular reason behind this or it's just a habit?

As I have stated earlier, I am using Win7 in my laptop and XP on my desktop. Some of my games and programs are only compatible with XP and I can't live without them.  Grin
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 02:48:51 PM

As I have stated earlier, I am using Win7 in my laptop and XP on my desktop. Some of my games and programs are only compatible with XP and I can't live without them.  Grin
Regarding games, there's usually a workaround to use them with Windows 7. Well, at least for all the old games I play.

LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 12:13:27 AM

I cannot believe that people really give a sh*t about gaming.

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:06:13 AM

Oh, and last time I had to install a Win8.1 for someone's son (gaming machine hardware I assembled & setup from scratch), this is basically what happened :
(25+ years of experience in hardware/OS ranging from DOS/Windows to CPM, Linux and Unix software & hardware maintenance)

- Hardware assembly was no sweat
- Drivers were a tad more confusing but that I credit to the Board manufacturer (mixed unessential bloatware with required drivers, which I had to sort out manually as the Driver CD had no Driver auto-install)
- there I found out Win8.1 still had no clue where to look for missing Drivers on its own, that still only works with age old default hardware stuff

Functional tests : play HD Video
Worked good, Windows Media player launched in acceptable speed (nothing other OS'es or VLC wouldn't easily beat but well...).
Pressed ESC to get out of fullscreen mode - FAIL. Tried again and FAIL... WTF? That's an old convention valid since decades ??!? Oh well, pressed ALT+Enter to get out of fullscreen - FAIL. W...T....F???
Now I'm getting really interested. Manually stopped the movie playback using the Media Player's GUI - and I get back to some MicroSoft Movie store and empty video libraries... *ugh* WHAT ?! You kiddin' me ? I ain't got no stinkin' Microsoft account so bugger off!
Tried Windows Keys on Keyboard to get something useful to happen but FAIL. Pressed ALT+F4 - FAIL. At this time I'm seriously giving that computer and MicroSoft some very unkind words I'd rather not post here...

At the first time, to quit the fullscreen Media Player I ended up pressing STRG+ALT+DEL to manually launch the Task Manager and kill the Media Player process.

It wasn't until I googled the Metro "magic edges" to "leave" "Apps" (fuck this ain't no fu**ing smartphone *&#$#) just to find out they don't even close and keep running in the background if done that way. Very resource-friendly ending up with multiple unneeded background programs clinging to limited resources... Not too bright folks, not too bright.
Seriously ? What drugs did the dev team take when they made all these terrible decisions ?

Functional Tests : 3D Benchmarks
Those ran okay but I initially did not enable the function "create Desktop Icon" when installing (after all, who trashes their Desktop with Icons right ? That's what we got a Start menu for...).
Or so I tought....
Looking to launch the Bench from the Metro GUI, I found out I have to scroll down one "tile screen" just to get to "Programs". Nice, very useful *lol*.

But hey, on the main screen I can see tiles advertising NYSE Stock indexes, current weather for a city 300mi away, live travel suggestions (WTF?) - and food places recommendations.... Food places... On the main screen of the GUI - of a Desktop system. *ugh* At this time I was at a loss of words for that ridiciulous, complete and total mess.

I even tried to make out if the basic uni colors of these tiles had any importance or contained some form of visual sort.... just to find out - no, apparently a drunk guy randomly assigned those, so not even those basic color tiles give you any additional clue (despite taking the whole goddarn screen).

I did find "Programs" - just to see is was a completely hopeless mess with no chance of giving it any reasonable sorting. At least the freshly installed software was lit in a highlighted color. Too bad that included all Drivers/Motherboard tools as well, so not even that helped.
I always thought the new Aero Start menu - Programs was degraded (hence they had to include a "search" function for programs), but Metro clearly beat everything seen to date.
Technically, I was easier to go to MS-DOS 5.0 and find out what commands were availale to that OS. That actually was far quicker.

I originally did have the intention of doing a few more tests - but happily reconsidered, since performing even the most basic tasks with this POS OS was taking me near a choleric heart attack.

On the most positive note of that day - this experience hardened my decision into solid monocrystalline Duranium that Metro would never get anywhere near my Desktop system.
--------------------
In the end, everything worked as advertised. Had no complaints there...
BUT how it worked was a complete and utter disaster. I gave away the assembled machine with clear instructions that OS related problems were none of my responsibilities and refused to yield any support to that junkhole of an OS.

Most of that is getting fixed with the next update, just search for 8.1 update 1, I had the same frustration as you and decided to move back to win7 but now 8.1 update seems to be more attractive
FalconFly

Activity: 252

Sentinel

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:14:51 AM

Most of that is getting fixed with the next update, just search for 8.1 update 1, I had the same frustration as you and decided to move back to win7 but now 8.1 update seems to be more attractive

You mean they completely abandon :
- MicroSoft Account-pushing
- remove Metro entirely from the System
- remove App System entirely from the System
- revert to a 100% Vista/Win7 Desktop ?

That would mean some serious improvement, will keep an eye on that.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 07:32:47 AM

My $.02.

Wink
Haha.. yeah once you are indulged into gaming you'll give a shit..! They are building systems specially for gaming..! but personally I don't care much about it, as long as I can play chess on it.!

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:35:24 AM

Why? Many of my friends are so much addicted to gaming that they are spending 12-14 hours per day in it. Even I was addicted to Age of Empires until 2008, and used to spend 10-12 hours everyday playing it.
rohnearner

Activity: 350
Merit: 252

REAL-EYES || REAL-IZE || REAL-LIES||

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 07:43:52 AM

Why? Many of my friends are so much addicted to gaming that they are spending 12-14 hours per day in it. Even I was addicted to Age of Empires until 2008, and used to spend 10-12 hours everyday playing it.
Gaming is fun :p and really a stress buster  ...! but as the time passes by our priority changes ..!

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:52:27 AM

Mumble my old comp in the basement had weak ram guess I will need to pirate a windows 7 basic version for it lol.

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:54:28 AM

My $.02.

Wink

Well then, you'll find this unbelievable:
http://qz.com/195098/last-year-71-million-people-watched-other-people-play-video-games/

And no, that's not the amount of people PLAYING games; that's amount of people WATCHING other people playing games Grin
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:56:22 AM

My $.02.

Wink

http://qz.com/195098/last-year-71-million-people-watched-other-people-play-video-games/

And no, that's not the amount of people PLAYING games; that's amount of people WATCHING other people playing games Grin

Well if there is only one controller haha but yah a lot of people watch DOTA and LOL

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:01:04 AM

My $.02.

Wink

Well if there is only one controller haha but yah a lot of people watch DOTA and LOL

There's a huge online following for such videos. I recently read about a guy who posts his game-playing videos to YouTube; he's got thousands of followers and he makes millions in ad revenue.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/this-guy-makes-millions-playing-video-games-on-youtube/284402/
LostDutchman (OP)

Activity: 476

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 09:12:48 AM

My $.02.

Wink

There's a huge online following for such videos. I recently read about a guy who posts his game-playing videos to YouTube; he's got thousands of followers and he makes millions in ad revenue.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/03/this-guy-makes-millions-playing-video-games-on-youtube/284402/

Yeah and my lack of interest in or awareness of gaming led to be ignoring bitcoin in the beginning.

I knew about Bitcoin but paid no attention because I thought it was only silly gaming shit.

Guess I learned differently, eh?

My $.02.

Wink

Corporations For Crypto
Protect Your Assets and Reduce Your Tax Liability With A Kansas Corporation!
We Demand Justice From BFL
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: