Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 03:00:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Not an Awareness Problem But an Education Problem  (Read 1317 times)
delusiona1 (OP)

Activity: 90
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:09:57 PM

Hello,

I think we as a community need to begin educating people on how Bitcoin works. The world knows that Bitcoin exist "hooray" but only believes the negative information that is spoon fed to them by the incompetent media. From my observation most of us bitcoiners are avid bitcoin conspiracy theorist. The conspiracy theories is something that we don't need to spread...

What can we do to educate the world, so that mass adoption really speeds up?

HVC: HAccgXrfMZdTsMZss47dAqZ82trPoeiiB7
BTC: 14SoM653x2iEEipDcHchimBfFXwbQUZ3fh
IrishFutbol

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:11:40 PM

Hello,

I think we as a community need to begin educating people on how Bitcoin works. The world knows that Bitcoin exist "hooray" but only believes the negative information that is spoon fed to them by the incompetent media. From my observation most of us bitcoiners are avid bitcoin conspiracy theorist. The conspiracy theories is something that we don't need to spread...

You can educate people all you want, it won't matter.

Until BTC becomes more convenient that fiat/credit cards, no amount of education will change anything.
delusiona1 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:13:59 PM

Hello,

Until BTC becomes more convenient that fiat/credit cards, no amount of education will change anything.

http://gigaom.com/2014/04/07/new-bitcoin-debit-card-claims-to-work-with-90-percent-of-us-atms/

atp1916
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 04:16:28 PM

Hello,

http://gigaom.com/2014/04/07/new-bitcoin-debit-card-claims-to-work-with-90-percent-of-us-atms/

If Coinbase could implement something like this, issue their own debit cards linked to wallets.. we'd be in business.
5thStreetResearch

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 08, 2014, 04:23:23 PM

Hello,

Strongly disagree with this.  Why are you or any of us on this board interested in bitcoin?  Is it because it is easier for us to use it then it is for us to use fiat or credit cards?  No.  It is because we gained some knowledge of the subject (became educated) and now we are proponents of it because we believe in the idea/ protocol.  Every potential new adopter needs to start somewhere, the only way to start would be to become educated on the matter.  Education itself will continue to contribute more than anything to the growth of the network

xdigital

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:01:44 PM

As much as I love Bitcoin, But
Bitcoin's platform is not ready for mass adoption!

If you look at this instruction how to secure your wallet alone
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Securing_your_wallet
This instruction is no way doable for average Joe, who don't know anything about command line.
I can only see mass adoption, until we have hardware bitcoin wallet.

And yesterday, I came across this
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Change
I can bet more than 50% of bitcoin users who have paper wallets don't know what "Change" is, how it could be a disaster when using paper wallets.

zolace

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:06:31 PM

Hello,

ok there are 14 years olds and 10 years old that understand bitcoin, its the Seniors that are the problem. forget them and lets educate the young Teens and college students those are the ones who are gonna spread it,  like facebook

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
serenitys

Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:14:53 PM

Hello,

ok there are 14 years olds and 10 years old that understand bitcoin, its the Seniors that are the problem. forget them and lets educate the young Teens and college students those are the ones who are gonna spread it,  like facebook

Excellent idea here - I've had this reality check in the last few days crash course learning all I can learn and meanwhile starting to tell people in my family about it. Like talking to a box of lettuce...they're all old school. I did step back and assess in a day to day frame whether or not they'd benefit on the short term with btc and it came down to their simple willingness to cling to convenience and status quo rather than spend just a few days reading more about it and finding ways to incorporate it.

Old school money and old school technology are likely not going to care about btc or embrace it.

I owed a relative $50 that I was getting ready to repay over the weekend but ended up obsessively reading the forum. I talked to this person at length about it because they showed receptivity, very sincerely insisting they're totally interested in it. Yesterday I said that Thursday I'd be investing in btc and asked if they'd prefer I add in the 50 I owe and let them watch the market price fluctuations to see how it works and will cash out for them whenever they're ready.

They were all thumbs up about it until I offered that as an option and went fiat instead...which told me they wasted my time talking to them about it, they were humoring me...so I handed off the 50 bucks and watched them hand it over 45 minutes later for pizza.

Agreed, best to preach to the teens and 20somethings who are entering the world fresh out of school - now challenged with the enormous responsibility of remembering which context to use there, they're, their, your and you're...because if they can't master 3rd grade shit, Life is going to sodomize the crap out of them down the road. (Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid - Duke)

I also agree that a bitcoin card that can be used to "swipe and go" is going to be the one thing that send btc use mainstream in the shortest amount of time. Investors care about the freedom principle, shoppers just want to cash in and cash out.

+1 for the quoted comments

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
crunchynut

Activity: 238

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 05:22:31 PM

the real issue is that people are not as stupid as you folks want them to be. so, unless bitcoin starts to become a real solution to a real problem instead of being just another hipster tech-revolution that will change the world for sure, you'll have to hold the bag on your own.

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯

>>>>>> LAUNCHED: RAPECOIN - YOU CAN'T SAY NO TO THIS COIN <<<<<<

◯ ◯ ◯ ◯
delusiona1 (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 06:10:33 PM

bump

FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
April 08, 2014, 07:05:06 PM

Hello,

I also think people downright refuse education on global financial matters as it would use up too many braincells (and overload them). The majority still goes with the flow - whereever it leads them.

Attempting to bring BTC to them will always be seen as advertising/spamming or preaching. Those who wish to participate need to come by themselves, it's the only way.

Plus, educating them would also be a three-edged sword :
- advantages
- risks
- how to effectively and safely use BTC

Technically speaking, Bitcoin is still far away from general usability, its infrastructure is still waaay to complicated and user-unfriendly for the average Joe Sixpack to pick up & use.
So far, nobody has built a bridge for that hughe usability gap (a secure, one-size-fits-all, all-features-in-one BitCoin application that operates cross-platform and could be used by non-techy people from age 4 to age 90 that never used a computer).

And adding the risks to the education process (in the techy world of BTC) would downright exceed most people's abilities, even most typical computer users need to perform active research to get their knowledge kit together concerning current IT security.

PS.
If you tried to bring them i.e. to precious metals, you'd be labeled a goldbug and/or a conspiracy theorist and get weird looks.
If you tried to bring them i.e. to CryptoCurrencies - they'd likely and simply just not understand you at all, even if they tried. You'd probably get a blank face (visible "Software failure" of their brain Wink ).

It's just nothing you can fully and correctly explain to average people within a few sentences that covers their limited attention span.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
serenitys

Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:01:50 AM

I have to agree with the above - now moving into my 1st week having learned about it, my increasing understanding is pure self directed. I wanted to learn and know. I wanted to understand...so I've learned a lot in a few days.

The people I've talked to - both to share this amazing advance in our world as much as to test out how well I do or do not know what I'm explaining based on their feedback and all, what I've seen is that they're perfectly willing to hear me out but are indifferent at best to take any initiative to learn more and pursue bitcoin to secure their own finances.

I can see myself reaching a place where I just shrug it off and go on about my own business and down the road when I'm "doing bitcoin" or even cashing it in for real world goods and services and they ask where all that money came from, I'm just gonna go, "Bitcoin" and shut up.

If they ask me a single question, I'm just answering, "google it" and be done with it  Grin

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 03:23:30 AM

Speaking as someone in the game for 3 years, I think it's more of a patience problem.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:39:12 AM

When "we" go out "all over the web" talking about BTC, the results are mixed.
Some good...but much of it is viewed as spam and/or "ponzi recruiting."

delusiona1 (OP)

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:34:15 PM

When "we" go out "all over the web" talking about BTC, the results are mixed.
Some good...but much of it is viewed as spam and/or "ponzi recruiting."

Makes sense, it took me about 3 months to convince my friends.

bountygiver

Activity: 100

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:09:13 PM

Hello,

well that kinda defeats the purpose of bitcoin.
You're now letting a 3rd party in charge of your bitcoins again when you use that service.

It is better if merchants receive the bitcoins themselves.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
delusiona1 (OP)

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:08:35 PM

Hello,

well that kinda defeats the purpose of bitcoin.
You're now letting a 3rd party in charge of your bitcoins again when you use that service.

It is better if merchants receive the bitcoins themselves.

lol

kthejung

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 04:51:38 PM

Hello,

Strongly disagree with this.  Why are you or any of us on this board interested in bitcoin?  Is it because it is easier for us to use it then it is for us to use fiat or credit cards?  No.  It is because we gained some knowledge of the subject (became educated) and now we are proponents of it because we believe in the idea/ protocol.  Every potential new adopter needs to start somewhere, the only way to start would be to become educated on the matter.  Education itself will continue to contribute more than anything to the growth of the network

I highly disagree with your strong disagree. Smiley  Most people who use fiat money are completely unconcerned with the origin or meaning of that currency; only thing that they care about is the fact that they can spend that money when they need something.  Lots of people right now do not want to deal with a currency that they perceive as being easily stolen, hard to use, and limited usage.  A person can walk into Walmart and buy some ice cream with fiat, this is not achievable with bitcoins right now.  
LMGTFY

Activity: 644
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:08:27 PM

I highly disagree with your strong disagree. Smiley  Most people who use fiat money are completely unconcerned with the origin or meaning of that currency; only thing that they care about is the fact that they can spend that money when they need something.  Lots of people right now do not want to deal with a currency that they perceive as being easily stolen, hard to use, and limited usage.  A person can walk into Walmart and buy some ice cream with fiat, this is not achievable with bitcoins right now.  

I can walk into my local café/bistro today and spend BTC instead of fiat... but - I'm not going to. It's a silly idea. The fiat I have in my pocket is losing its value constantly - in a month's time it'll buy me less coffee than it buys me now - so it makes sense to spend fiat, not BTC. (BTC is deflationary - in the long term I expect BTC to be worth much more than that coffee I could have bought with it).

Bitcoin does need to grow, the number of users does need to increase. But this "mass adoption" windmill is something we should stop tilting at. Bitcoin has far better potential than "something we can buy coffee/beer/groceries with".

I discovered Bitcoin shortly after returning from working abroad. I'd been paying a mortgage in one country while working in another. The forex costs were a killer (and I needed to plan ahead, since transfers between the two countries took a few days, and were a bit hit or miss in terms of time). This is Bitcoin's advantage for me - not a new way to buy stuff at Walmart.  That isn't to say this is the only use for Bitcoin, just that aping fiat is not a good use, and "mass adoption" (if it means granny can use BTC to buy her shopping) isn't a goal we should be seriously considering. (It is, however, one of those "truthy" goals, one that seems obvious and right - even if it's anything but).

(Disclaimer: I probably will use BTC in my local café at some point. But I'll do it to encourage a forward-looking business, not because it makes sense for me personally).

This space intentionally left blank.
kthejung

Activity: 210

View Profile
April 22, 2014, 05:10:35 PM

Speaking as someone in the game for 3 years, I think it's more of a patience problem.

According to this chart, it seem that the price of Bitcoin will hit a high of $5,000 this August.  The price hits a high every 8 months and the incremental jumps seems to be double, and then double plus the previous.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: