Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 06:18:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcointalk requesting donations? Wtf?  (Read 6697 times)
rapeghost (OP)

Activity: 419
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 08:24:03 PM

Hello noobs,

According to Bitcointalk's donation page they've pulled in roughly ~620BTC from donations alone. On this same page it states that they recieve free hosting and the donations go to 'development of the forum'. I dont know about you guys but I dont see anything on this forum thats not on every other single forum that runs this software.. So if they're a non-profit I'd really like to see the paperwork on that because they have to account for all donations and report it to future donors. Also, If you've ever run an advertisement on Bitcointalk you know how expensive it is.

I'm just wondering where all this money goes? If your costs are $0 .. and you've taken in atleast $1k in donations .. and there have been no improvements on the forum .. How is that a non profit?
 I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great? 30% of it is flame wars and trolling. A wise man once said on IRC 'The forums are full of cancer and scammers'.

Cordially Yours,
James L (rg @ freenode)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 08:44:26 PM

there have been some posts about this before. it was something about this forum lacks features and stuff.
try use the search function.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
rapeghost (OP)

Activity: 419

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 08:48:33 PM

I believe you are missing the point of my post. Next.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5166
Merit: 12864

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:03:30 PM

All donations are being saved for major forum software work. The only money ever drawn from savings was 25 BTC for hosting before the current hosting arrangements were made.

According to Bitcointalk's donation page they've pulled in roughly ~620BTC from donations alone.

This also includes ad revenue. I send all forum revenue to the donation address.

So if they're a non-profit I'd really like to see the paperwork on that because they have to account for all donations and report it to future donors.

The forum is not a registered non-profit organization, or any kind of "official" organization for that matter. You'll have to take the word of the administration that no one makes any profit off of the forum.

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
trentzb

Activity: 406
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:06:01 PM

It is for development of new custom forum software. I can't recall the thread title but theymos detailed the specs for the job in a very long post.
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:15:14 PM

Hello noobs,

According to Bitcointalk's donation page they've pulled in roughly ~620BTC from donations alone. On this same page it states that they recieve free hosting and the donations go to 'development of the forum'. I dont know about you guys but I dont see anything on this forum thats not on every other single forum that runs this software.. So if they're a non-profit I'd really like to see the paperwork on that because they have to account for all donations and report it to future donors. Also, If you've ever run an advertisement on Bitcointalk you know how expensive it is.

I'm just wondering where all this money goes? If your costs are $0 .. and you've taken in atleast $1k in donations .. and there have been no improvements on the forum .. How is that a non profit?
 I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great? 30% of it is flame wars and trolling. A wise man once said on IRC 'The forums are full of cancer and scammers'.

Cordially Yours,
James L (rg @ freenode)

Cool story bro. Personally, I think they should spend the money on getting all mods and staff some liquor for putting up with the ass-hattery that goes on here. I think I owe them all a beer for putting up with me and the rest of the off-topic/trollin' crew...PM me an address, gentlemen...
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:18:25 PM

Hello noobs,

Cordially Yours,
James L (rg @ freenode)

Cool story bro. Personally, I think they should spend the money on getting all mods and staff some liquor for putting up with the ass-hattery that goes on here. I think I owe them all a beer for putting up with me and the rest of the off-topic/trollin' crew...PM me an address, gentlemen...

I agree. I would have donated 100BTC by now if Theymos would just use some existing forum software. This whole "make a new one from scratch" idea is asinine, as is not changing it to a new one and slowly making additions himself for free.

grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:23:21 PM

Hello noobs,
stopped reading there

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 09:47:29 PM

Better that i don't ask why this forum isn't phpbb or vbulletin

Better that i don't ask why they want to make a new forum from 0 too...

mc_lovin
Legendary

Activity: 1190

www.bitcointrading.com

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2011, 10:06:34 PM

Anyone can ask for donations, at least they don't beg with 1/3 of the screen like wikipedia.  Once the donations are piled up high enough, I imagine some new forum software will be built, but I can't see the software being better than the free BB soft out there like phpBB.
P4man

Activity: 518

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 10:17:05 PM

It is for development of new custom forum software. I can't recall the thread title but theymos detailed the specs for the job in a very long post.

You want a new custom OS to run that forum on too? Perhaps a custom ARM CPU implementation to run the whole stack ?
Seriously. Why on earth reinvent the wheel?

Have to agree with the OP. Im fine with donations to cover actual costs, but as there dont seem to be any, this doesnt look too well.

NothinG

Activity: 560

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 10:20:07 PM

They are working to get new forums...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=50617.0

Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 11:05:22 PM

You want a new custom OS to run that forum on too? Perhaps a custom ARM CPU implementation to run the whole stack ?
Seriously. Why on earth reinvent the wheel?

Have to agree with the OP. Im fine with donations to cover actual costs, but as there dont seem to be any, this doesnt look too well.
+1

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 11:22:09 PM

I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great?

Who the fuck is the we.  You are a noob.  You haven't donated shit.

This forum is indispensable IMHO.  I haven't found anything that come close for getting technical answers related to the client, protocol, mining, etc.

If you think otherwise then leave or don't donate.  Nobody is forcing you.  Just don't include this "we should STOP donating".  You have donated shit, your a noob, and have 4 posts.
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 11:24:41 PM

I think we should stop donating until we get these answers.. Is this forum really that great?

Who the fuck is the we.  You are a noob.  You haven't donated shit.

This forum is indispensable IMHO.  I haven't found anything that come close for getting technical answers related to the client, protocol, mining, etc.

If you think otherwise then leave or don't donate.  Nobody is forcing you.  Just don't include this "we should STOP donating".  You have donated shit, your a noob, and have 4 posts.
+1

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Gabi
Legendary

View Profile
December 31, 2011, 11:39:22 PM

Why donate when you know the money will be wasted?

paraipan
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 924
Merit: 1004

Firstbits: 1pirata

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2012, 12:41:03 AM

hope to see you ppl on some kind of p2p forum in 2012, we already have Osiris around, great software btw and hope they opensource it

BTCitcoin: An Idea Worth Saving - Q&A with bitcoins on rugatu.com - Check my rep
RandyFolds

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:24:24 AM

How do you know that? Have you donated, or are you just another worthless leech here bitching about something because you have nothing to do on new year's eve?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:37:42 AM

How do you know that? Have you donated, or are you just another worthless leech here bitching about something because you have nothing to do on new year's eve?
Oh yea. Happy new year by the way. We had ours 10 hours ago.

RandyFolds

View Profile
January 01, 2012, 01:39:13 AM

Oh yea. Happy new year by the way. We had ours 10 hours ago.

So I take it you don't know how to party then...
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: