Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 10:01:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If the real Satoshi came back and said...  (Read 2428 times)
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:33:41 AM

If the real Satoshi came back and said "this new coin is much better", would you switch or stay with BTC?
I would be involved with both.
How about you?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:34:30 AM

Switch cause I think bitcoin would tank and this new coin would explode.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:48:48 AM

If the real Satoshi came back and said "this new coin is much better", would you switch or stay with BTC?
How about you?

It would depend on the details of the new coin.

If it actually had features that made it "much better", I'd switch (but I'd do that even if it wasn't Satoshi that said it).

If it didn't have an features that made it "much better", then I wouldn't switch.

I've never really cared much about what Satoshi had to say.  I evaluated bitcoin entirely on its own merits before I ever got involved.  I spent over a year studying and investigating bitcoin before I ever owned a single microbitcoin worth.
Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 02:51:37 AM

You are Sotoshi Nakamoto. We are all Satoshi Nakamoto.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:54:22 AM

I would say sign that message with the genesis block key.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 03:25:35 AM

...I evaluated bitcoin entirely on its own merits before I ever got involved.  I spent over a year studying and investigating bitcoin before I ever owned a single microbitcoin worth.

over a year
You have the skills to thrive in a free market.
Too bad most people (including me) don't spend that much effort thinking for themselves.

Beliathon

Activity: 784

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 03:30:16 AM

...I evaluated bitcoin entirely on its own merits before I ever got involved.  I spent over a year studying and investigating bitcoin before I ever owned a single microbitcoin worth.

over a year
You have the skills to thrive in a free market.
Too bad most people (including me) don't spend that much effort thinking for themselves.
Of course most people don't exert that effort. Most people are incapable. This is about executive functioning and pattern recognition ability. It's a bell curve.

Fortunately for everyone, human beings learn from each other. Now with the internet, this is happening faster than ever before. It won't take the gen. pop long to come around.

Information wants to be free.

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 03:55:58 AM

Best answer

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:01:07 AM

Oh yeah, and if "the real God" came back, I'd be satisfied by Him tossing a cow up in the air and turning it into the world's largest taco.

No way. CIA psyops bullshit, man. They're altering my perception with their MKULTRA garbage and compromising Satoshi's keys with the same programming. Shit - you even notice what color the sky was today? Purple, and everything tasted like purple, too. Fuck that.
Bit_Happy (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:07:23 AM

Oh yeah, and if "the real God" came back, I'd be satisfied by Him tossing a cow up in the air and turning it into the world's largest taco.

No way. CIA psyops bullshit, man. They're altering my perception with their MKULTRA garbage and compromising Satoshi's keys with the same programming. Shit - you even notice what color the sky was today? Purple, and everything tasted like purple, too. Fuck that.

LOL
That taco sounds pretty good right now.  Cheesy

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:08:20 AM

How about you?

Depends on if Satoshi verifies his Bitcoin holdings since he has a large share here and if he is willing to move on then I would trust him to make the transition safely without screwing the prices too badly but yep would stay with both  

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
killinitsoftly

Activity: 81
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:25:05 AM

In all honesty... I would probably switch over to the new coin as fast as possible.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4615

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:38:58 AM

In all honesty... I would probably switch over to the new coin as fast as possible.

Satoshi came up with a creative and elegant solution to the complex problem of distributed consensus.  He managed to work in some financial incentives to participation, and a reasonably fair way to handle the initial distribution of funds into the system.

He also made some mistakes, and some decisions of questionable value.

He is clearly not omniscient, and unless his new coin could demonstrate real solutions to real problems with a significant benefit over bitcoin, it would only be the foolish that would quickly abandon bitcoin for the latest "coin of the hour" regardless of who announces it.  Fortunately, there are a lot of fools that would do exactly that, providing me plenty of opportunity to pick up some very cheap bitcoins.  Then when those people all try to come back to bitcoin, I'll happily sell those bitcoins back to them at a significant markup.
meawleir21

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:51:36 AM

I won't follow unless he proves he is the real satoshi  Tongue I won't change from BTC , it's working in a good way "though I might try to earn from the attention to that other coin"
sgk
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

!! HODL !!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 04:58:43 AM

Many people are arguing about legibility of Satoshi's real identity instead of focusing on the main question here. The question implies that the identity is proved; the real question is if you'd switch to the new coin or not.

For me, I'd definitely switch to the new coin, because most others also will, and the network effect will benefit the new coin in real world market, not Bitcoin.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 05:20:39 AM

Many people are arguing about legibility of Satoshi's real identity instead of focusing on the main question here. The question implies that the identity is proved; the real question is if you'd switch to the new coin or not.

For me, I'd definitely switch to the new coin, because most others also will, and the network effect will benefit the new coin in real world market, not Bitcoin.
The legitimacy of the statement is critical to the question because it determines how many people move.

"satoshi" could post with his forum account that everyone needs to move to Nybble, and it'd take a Hell of a lot more than "satoshi" saying to for me to move. That assumes I would follow "the real satoshi" (which is a fairy tale as far as I can tell) wherever he says just because he says, which I wouldn't, and I'd hope more than a handful of people would ask whether or not it's following lemmings off a cliff for short-term gain.
dreamspark

Activity: 798

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:33:07 AM

I wouldn't switch per se but would certainly buy some to see where it goes. Lets be honest if you were one of the first to see him say that you could easily x a few hundred to your current stash. Biggest pump and dump ever assuming the new coin doesn'y have any new innovations.
NoBit

Activity: 326
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:34:54 AM

This would never happen.

Bitrated user: nobit.
howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:01:01 AM

What are you going on about???
howzar

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:03:59 AM

This would never happen.

Never say never, people thought flying would never be possible...
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: