Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 03:59:00 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Energy and Enthusiasm is Dying. Bitcoiners are Growing Tired. ZZZZzzzzz....  (Read 6107 times)
googlemaster1

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:28:30 AM

Despite the many large investors still hedging on Bitcoin taking over the world, and the spin they push through various media outlets and sites like Coindesk, the truth is that the general Bitcoin community is growing tired.  Tired of falling prices.  Tired of scandals like Mt. Gox. Tired of rigs they invested in not paying off like they hoped. Tired of maintaining those rigs. Summer on its way. AC bills will rise. Price now trading flat, or in my opinion barely holding on to current levels. Scam after scam with companies that promise mining equipment but instead use your money to develop and build the technology only to use it for months and months, earning the BTC for themselves and skyrocketing the difficulty. Crap coin after crap coin which honestly just makes the whole industry look like a joke. Potcoin. Dogecoin. It makes the technology look like a circus for morons yet more coins come out every day and are backed by exchanges that represent the industry. Could you imagine if the NASDAQ was filled with goofy company names like that?

Posts are slowing on the boards. Hashrate is spread so thin across so many coins. And most coins are so thinly traded, even with the bigger ones you'd have a damn hard time liquidating a large value of currency if you had it, the prices are held up by thin buys, and not enough buyers to really dump huge amounts.

I hope I'm wrong.

Have we reached Despair yet? Smiley.  

"Posts are slowing on the boards. Hashrate is spread so thin across so many coins."

Posts are not slowing down.
Hashrate is doing nothing but going UP on BTC.  Sorry if you wasted your money on altcoins, but don't look at that as part of the bitcoin ecosystem's problem.  Altcoins are abused, experimented with, and hyped up.  You ever buy into an IPO that shit itself?  This is the way markets work.  I've had TWTR stock, TSLA stock, FB as well as some others... you want to talk about a rollercoaster, and you think Bitcoin is unique to these types of swings?  This must be your first rodeo in investing (which is clearly what you see it as since you are referring to the USD price).

I personally like when prices go down, because I want more stock in some of these companies to go long on.  Bitcoin is a little different for me because I'm so ideologically in love with Bitcoin.  I've finally found something and an ecosystem that I find is worth supporting.  I buy bitcoins, and I mine bitcoins because there is nothing I have found in my life that is worth more of my time, attention, and capital than bitcoin.  

Weak Hand flushes where a price stabilizes lower than the perceived floor (which one could picture is probably $500 nowadays), are normal in market cycles, and especially in this one.  Institutional investors look for somewhat of a stable point before jumping in.  There are big buys that have been happening, but the smart money isn't going to drive of the price if they don't have to.  Institutional investors are a lot more patient than you or I.  They don't check the bitcoin price everyday 5 times a day hoping that if it just went up 20 bucks in one day and maybe did that a few days in a row they would somehow "feel better".  Investors look at the big picture and aren't going to buy into sharp price rises.

I like to think like Bitcoin is "rediscovered" every year at different levels and basically goes through this cycle each time:

http://marketpredict.com/articles/images/bubble-lifecycle.gif

People say Bubbles hurt bitcoin, but in the long run it gets people interested, the people who get burned are the people who got greedy and spent too much money on something they didn't understand during a period of where "everyone is making money".

Bitcoin doesn't want people extracting money into its ecosystem, so it naturally has flushed out those people through the free market system.  Put money into the Bitcoin ecosystem and help it grow and who knows, you might be rewarded handsomely one day, and hey if not, at least you spent your time on something you believed in and thought was going to make some good in the world.  

If you are just trying to make money, try and flip triple leveraged ETF's and learn a few stocks and learn their option players well and learn to play the options market, those have tons of movement and if you know what you are doing, you will trade up more often than not.

BTC: 15565dcUp4LEWe6KYT7tawMHFRL4cBbFGN
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:50:54 AM

Bitcoin is both an efficient means of payment, and a deflating store of value.

While it is a potentially efficient means of payment - its lack of general acceptance makes it terribly ineffective in most places in reality. It is restricted to a tiny niche in the hughe system of global payment options.
But that's IMHO not the main point.

Bitcoin is not a store of value by any means. It is a new and highly experimental (Beta) technology trend with completely unknown origins and an even more unknown future. It qualifies for absolutely none of the critical requirements for being a store of value. It's rather a permanently endangered species relying on dozens of hightech requirement chains, of which breaking only a single one would make it utterly useless until workarounds are put in place.
Being digital in nature, I'd go as far as to say it is everything but a store of value.

That shall not prevent anyone to convert value into it, but alot have done and already paid the price for this mistake (outside speculatory gains for early adopters or successful traders). Please never confuse a virtual currency with the term "store of value", both are absolutely contradictory in nature. Hard assets relying on absolutely nothing and having no counterparty risk are a store of value. Bits & Bytes connected to the internet never were and never will be, even if they survive for extended periods of time due to heavy protection and intensive caretaking.

You can regard bitcoin as a certificate of each person's spent wealth. You spent $500 and bought 1 bitcoin, you now have one bitcoin certificate in this public ledger

Actually the fiat money works the same way: Each piece of fiat money is just a certificate of your wealth, the worth of your spent wealth (labor, resource, time) is recorded on fiat money paper, but the wealth itself is already gone. What you received is just a paper to prove that you have done certain amount of work or paid certain amount of resource in exchange for this certificate. When merchant see this certificate, they know that you have the right to purchase equal worth of consumables

Why using a network issued certificate instead of a government issued certificate? Because the certificate issued by government get printed more and more each passing day, so the value of your certificate goes down each passing day

The price appreciation of bitcoin indicated that the market demand for this kind of network issued value certificate is huge and it is growing rapidly

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:45:14 AM

The "Energy and Enthusiasm" is picking up.
Lot's of good news today.  Smiley

One example:
Major French Supermarket Chain to Accept Bitcoin
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563444.0

Stratobitz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 06:13:53 AM

Despite the many large investors still hedging on Bitcoin taking over the world, and the spin they push through various media outlets and sites like Coindesk, the truth is that the general Bitcoin community is growing tired.  Tired of falling prices.  Tired of scandals like Mt. Gox. Tired of rigs they invested in not paying off like they hoped. Tired of maintaining those rigs. Summer on its way. AC bills will rise. Price now trading flat, or in my opinion barely holding on to current levels. Scam after scam with companies that promise mining equipment but instead use your money to develop and build the technology only to use it for months and months, earning the BTC for themselves and skyrocketing the difficulty. Crap coin after crap coin which honestly just makes the whole industry look like a joke. Potcoin. Dogecoin. It makes the technology look like a circus for morons yet more coins come out every day and are backed by exchanges that represent the industry. Could you imagine if the NASDAQ was filled with goofy company names like that?

Posts are slowing on the boards. Hashrate is spread so thin across so many coins. And most coins are so thinly traded, even with the bigger ones you'd have a damn hard time liquidating a large value of currency if you had it, the prices are held up by thin buys, and not enough buyers to really dump huge amounts.

I hope I'm wrong.

Well Coindesk published pieces of my original post/rant here. Front page article. Here's the link:  http://www.coindesk.com/is-bitcoin-over-the-hill/

I didn't lambast the alt community. I lambasted scam coins. Joke coins.  Con coins. Coins we should as a community be embarrassed to support in hopes for weak gains at best.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: