Author Topic: Hi  (Read 1063 times)
kadyl (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
Hi
April 09, 2014, 07:09:35 AM

Hi,

Very new here, just made a wallet at coinbase because I don't know how else to get a bitcoin address?

What should I do next?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Remember that Bitcoin is still beta software. Don't put all of your money into BTC!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LuckyBtc
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1011

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:43:26 AM

Heya kadyl!!
You can use blockchain.info as well to get wallet addresses.Next step you can do is buy some bitcoins and invest it in altcoins(Get some info on altcoins from altcoin sub-section) Hope this helps you!!  Smiley
blacksails

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:59:17 AM

Hi,

Very new here, just made a wallet at coinbase because I don't know how else to get a bitcoin address?

What should I do next?
Get some bitcoins, lol! Cheesy

You should avoid web based wallets, I recommend MultiBit for a quick start! Smiley
Remember that if you're not the only one with access your private keys, you don't have any bitcoin.
kadyl (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:52:09 AM

I have around $1200 kept aside just for that and as soon as I understand whatever there is to understand about Bitcoins I will.

I have made another wallet at blockchain.info.
I'll look into multibit now. Private keys means password right?

Thanks
Patron92

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:19:20 PM

Heya kadyl!!
You can use blockchain.info as well to get wallet addresses.Next step you can do is buy some bitcoins and invest it in altcoins(Get some info on altcoins from altcoin sub-section) Hope this helps you!!  Smiley

Yes, Blockchain is the main site actually to deal with! Next you should read what is cloud wallet , mining (if you want to mine the coins) and you should read some press to know about present situation in BTC world!
And, finally, welcome and good luck! Buy and sell ! enjoy bitcoins  Wink
blacksails

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:26:37 PM

I have around $1200 kept aside just for that and as soon as I understand whatever there is to understand about Bitcoins I will.

Thanks
No, the private key is essentially the wallet. It is the unique code that contains your money and address. If someone else have it, they can do whatever they want with the funds on it.

Yes, Blockchain is the main site actually to deal with! Next you should read what is cloud wallet , mining (if you want to mine the coins) and you should read some press to know about present situation in BTC world!
And, finally, welcome and good luck! Buy and sell ! enjoy bitcoins  Wink
Still, you should avoid web based wallets completely. You should be the only one with access.
sanjoea

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 12:28:12 PM

welcome to bitcointalk

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
M-215

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 12:36:51 PM

hi
kadyl (OP)

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:52:25 PM

I see, so you mean the wallet that I made at the blockchain which has a private key and a password  but still someone could access it without the password and it's not safe. I'll find out more of the alternatives, thanks so much!

I have no idea what I am going to do after I buy some Bitcoins and I don't know if I'll mine (don't even know right now what exactly it is, I tried understanding about it but couldn't understand a single thing) but I'll think about that when the time comes, right now I am more concerned about getting to know the basics and doing everything right, step by step.
Bitcoin Fiction

Activity: 138
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 01:58:54 PM

Hello and welcome my friend! Be kind to other people.

Loophole

Activity: 619
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:02:15 PM

Hi,

What should I do next?

kadyl, welcome to bitcointalk.
You could use other wallets such as Multibit, Electrum, blockchain.info etc.

Loophole

Activity: 619

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:04:13 PM

I see, so you mean the wallet that I made at the blockchain which has a private key and a password  but still someone could access it without the password and it's not safe. I'll find out more of the alternatives, thanks so much!

Don't forget to enable 2FA.

I have no idea what I am going to do after I buy some Bitcoins and I don't know if I'll mine (don't even know right now what exactly it is, I tried understanding about it but couldn't understand a single thing) but I'll think about that when the time comes, right now I am more concerned about getting to know the basics and doing everything right, step by step.

Please make sure you fully understand how the "mining difficulty" works before trying to mine. Also, check a profit calculator before buying any hardware / cloud mining hashrate.

havanabob

Activity: 88
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:42:09 PM

Hello! Have a good stay and I hope you will enjoy staying here. Smiley
blacksails

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:31:14 PM

Essentially, yes. If someone breaks that encryption (the password) they can do whatever they want with the money (the private keys). So for example, someone hacks Blockchain and you run your wallet there, they could get the unencrypted private keys. Therefore you should only run your wallet on your computer so you're the only one with access to it.

I'm afraid I'm not the right person to explain mining to you. It's a kinda difficult concept and I don't understand it on a deeper level! Sad
But essentially your computer solves problems in a block and if you're the first to solve the block you get a reward (25BTC). You could also earn a little extra from transaction fees, since transactions are forwarded through those blocks.
Sorry if I just made it even more unclear lol.
mrTr0ut

Activity: 6

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:03:11 AM

Hello,

New here too and to bitcoins also. I have an account with coinbase, but from what I gather that's not recommended? Should I be using the bitcoin core program instead?
blacksails

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:28:26 AM

Hello,

New here too and to bitcoins also. I have an account with coinbase, but from what I gather that's not recommended? Should I be using the bitcoin core program instead?
Not necessarily Bitcoin Core, it takes a long time to sync with the network. Try Multibit instead, it's quick and easy to use.
That way you're the only one with your private keys.
Acidyo

Activity: 588

Will Bitcoin Rise Again to $60,000?

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 08:14:10 AM

Thanks

This is the best time to buy if you are thinking about investing in btc! Prices aren't gonna go any lower in my opinion. Smiley
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:38:25 PM

Thanks

This is the best time to buy if you are thinking about investing in btc! Prices aren't gonna go any lower in my opinion. Smiley

yeah  like Acid says this is the only time u gonna get lower cheap bitcoins,  when the trend heals, then boom we go.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Nagato4

Activity: 625

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:41:46 PM

Hello,

Not necessarily Bitcoin Core, it takes a long time to sync with the network. Try Multibit instead, it's quick and easy to use.
That way you're the only one with your private keys.

+1.
If you don't have the private keys, you don't have the bitcoin.  Grin

.cryptic.

Activity: 532

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 04:12:53 AM

Thanks

+100 Jump in now if you want to catch the boat.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: