Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:51:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IRS - for what its worth my USA home office filing with my CPA  (Read 751 times)
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1464

Clueless!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:30:28 AM

yeah glad  i punted for a Titan (yeah i know stupid..before IRS ruling...but i like to mine) ..hopefully i can run that beast for more then a year on some kinda sh*tcoin
to get ROI

anyway on a good note went to the Tax Lady CPA today....because to keep IRS happy (and as I suspected if you show 'good intent" on trying to go with the
guidelines which the tax lady said was "man they really don't like you miner guys" .....my butt is covered from 7yrs in the future them coming after my 'hopefully'
by that time 20k per btc coin...my main concern..you don't file 2013...they can go back and screw with you next 7 years in the future...

anyway....because I'm now a  new business..and home office (150 sq ft) and the checkoff of the auto calc feature of home office (no need to itemize elec/gas/etc)...
for having a "clean record" so to speak on my puny 16 transactions to blockchain...my total GROSS INCOME mining was a bit over 16k which means I should
have owed 4k to IRS..due to 1/2 up front costs waived on BFL losses (8.5K) and KNC Jupiter Equip (7,131.80 usd) and then the rest is depreciated as computer
equipment for next 5 years (i really like the 3770 bucks i had in a GPU miner i never got going 'waiting" for my BFL never show equip last summer big stall)

on the above if BFL comes thru as their email states and gives me the 5k refund (yeah right) I'd have to put that as income on 2014 ..(yeah bfl refund heh unlikely)

anyway with all the above i pay the IRS 550 bucks back from my 2.2k refund of my previous (now amended) Tax form of 2013..and I'm golden imho
they can come back and tweak me or audit me..but everything is on the up and up as far as me and BTC is concerned according to my tax lady cpa.

ie 1yr and 1 day from now should I choose to sell (doubtful the CPA lady said holding was smart with how IRS is treating BTC) i pay a 20% capital gains
tax on btc increase thats it

if I'd have used BTC etc under above would have been 43% capital gains tax plus probably the full 25% taxes i managed to get out of by doing the above

now i understand people are 'why do this .how can the IRS find you?" well in my case 15 transactions on 1 blockchain only never sold any..all my info
obtainable via bitstamp/coinbase/etc due to the below paper trail.....also likely...to find me...and main thing
was the 'flubbed" 4 wire xfers for equip from knc i canceled..and the 2 that went thru last year...all of which i signed "you are not using this wire xfer
for tax avoidance purposes overseas" signed usual document for over 10k wire xfers overseas
...well according to the bank each sheet is looked at by an individual if you are over 5K and if the bank says
it is suspicious it goes up the line..pretty sure the bank up the line has flagged 4 of these (bank could not do a wire xfer after 4 tries to an fro ..changed banks)
plus the 2 wire xfers from the new bank..but alas paperwork still exists..ie screwed..

but yeah CPA lady said I look like I put 'landing lights" on  my Tax Return this year for an IRS audit before I even came thru the door...so had to tidy up

now if I'd been more of the 'tin foil hat crowd" I'd have bought BTC back in july before required info on bitstamp etc of ID....paid btc for 1st Jupiter
and would be sitting on my coin on a usb stick waiting for congress to fix the IRS law this 2014 year..and probably still be ok

but alas....I'm papered up like a 'drug lord" so for my 550 bucks for fed/state taxes will be paid..ie  this is the safe route

so anyway all in all pretty good shape...can show good intent...they want to tweak it IRS that is ...guidelines are so 'odd' not an issue penalty wise
and/or if congress gets act together can go back to this tax form next year..again according to my CPA not me...

so anyway according to the tax lady the IRS can't have it both ways if it is "property" and mining is my main method to get this for gross income then
I  can take off every failed $$$ (BFL and GPU tower)
and successful (Knc jupiter) and future (titan) as long as paid this year

the catch is because of rules of this is a NEW BUSINESS and new businesses get 50% off equip purchases etc start up costs...not to mention
the rest of the home office /supplies/software etc etc deductions etc

so anyway with the tax liability i should have paid...makes the Titan look like a 10 percent or so off deal anyhow

anyway so if you are like me with a paper trail and have HELD COIN  get your blockchain go to coinbase chart hover on each day your coin went from your
pool to your blockchain .hover on coinbase graph...write it down rinse/repeat

but anyway with all the junk i got from tables to fans to laptop to monitor Jupiter gpu tower fiasco bfl fiasco and the rest
i can sleep easy...worse that can happen is a tweak from IRS in future for more $$$ and or audit i suppose...but everything is now on the up and up
so at least according to my tax lady cpa ......i have done all i can..so should be ok

anyway....again IRS can't have it both ways call it 'property" and then not allow me to "possibly" take a 'capital loss' in the future if it all goes south

anyway  with the below new legislation  to fix BTC back to a virtual currency. and away from this IRS stupid guideline
..we should be good ....or the odds are good imho this will be fixed......only problem i see is this likely won't happen till after
Nov election imho...so anyway this is the stuff I've done to cover myself

http://www.forbes.com/sites/perianneboring/2014/04/08/breaking-rep-stockman-to-introduce-first-bitcoin-bill/

hopefully it is fast tracked

anyway for I can eat 550 bucks to the IRS to protect my a**s.....we who live to run away live to mine another day...

again this is what i think from what my tax lady said consult your own tax person.....i make no claims this will stick

but she said it seemed no different then the other small business stuff she starts up as 'new business' each tax year
with the usual equipment issues via gross profit

and yeah I showed a 650 buck or so profit on paper (heh....i looks richer heh)

so it goes each week something new wonder what will fall of the truck BTC news wise next week

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achillez

Activity: 874
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:38:22 AM

I just spent over 50 hrs calculating my coin mining for the last 3 years. Conclusion $10k total including income + cap - HW expenses. I'm still sitting on a good bundle of coins though, with a cost basis of ~ 100/coin. So when I do sell them I'll have some more cap to pay (assuming it's ++). Taxes will be interesting, nothing like paying ~$2k extra taxes for something that was a hobby Wink
Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:47:39 AM

I just spent over 50 hrs calculating my coin mining for the last 3 years. Conclusion $10k total including income + cap - HW expenses. I'm still sitting on a good bundle of coins though, with a cost basis of ~ 100/coin. So when I do sell them I'll have some more cap to pay (assuming it's ++). Taxes will be interesting, nothing like paying ~$2k extra taxes for something that was a hobby Wink

again if you never claimed it as a "business" before and in the USA you may be golden with equip write offs (them old gpu rigs cost something right)

should be no different then my deal above

again this is imho and the Tax Lady CPA I'm using ask your Tax Person

but amazing how much equip you can find trolling thru your past ebay/newegg/tigerdirect/walmart and whatever for the last year on office/equip
supplies/tables/fans for miner/laptop by miner to run putty....etc etc etc

anyway this again is my experience and what I was told today my situation is for informational purposes etc

Searing

Old Style Legacy Plug & Play BBS System. Get it from www.synchro.net. Updated 1/1/2021. It also works with Windows 10 and likely 11 and allows 16 bit DOS game doors on the same Win 10 Machine in Multi-Node! Five Minute Install! Look it over it uninstalls just as fast, if you simply want to look it over. Freeware! Full BBS System! It is a frigging hoot!:)
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:26:57 AM

At least you will have some peace of mind knowing you filed properly.

Searing (OP)
Copper Member
Legendary

Clueless!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 09:30:53 AM

At least you will have some peace of mind knowing you filed properly.

that is the deal....now the IRS figures no one using BTC for crime will file a tax return with this notice
so they can have 7years in the future to use this guideline as a blunt stick to beat them with imho

now next year if congress says "oops IRS overstepped" i may or may not get redress for my 550 bucks i paid
etc

but won't matter to IRS they still will go after folk for "not" making some kinda attempt to file this year

they are using this imho to get the good apples away from the bad apples imho

and bad apples will be 'perhaps' looked at up to 7 years in the future ..depending how vigrous the IRS is

again my case was silly because of all the paperwork of the 'failed' international wire xfers flying around
from my FU'd wire xfer attempts...ie i look like a drug lord

so me.......and CPA agreed best to be cautious

and if BTC tanks next year and i take losses on the Titan etc....i can take 'capital loss' i think it is
up to 3k....so what the heck

anyway i'd tell a tax person this stuff ...see where you stand if in the usa

again i expect that  this will be fixed by congress to firm up its "miner" issue with IRS

but this works as a stop gap (I THINK) in my situation (i am  likely wrong thou)

my 2c worth

Searing

BitOnyx

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

Cryptocurrencies Exchange

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 10:23:27 AM

I guess it is perfect to move out from USA to another more bitcoin friendly country. There are plenty of them.

dreamspark

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 10:28:52 AM

It just seems like such a long winded process that short sighted people aren't going to bother and then moan about getting screwed later.

In all fairness my UK tax returns are done online and as long as my books kept fairly organised can be done in an hour or so.
ryanmnercer

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 10:44:26 AM

my butt is covered from 7yrs in the future them coming after my 'hopefully'
by that time 20k per btc coin...my main concern..you don't file 2013...they can go back and screw with you next 7 years in the future...

If they can show a decent burden of proof for fraud, they can go back infinite years. *nods* It's set up so they have to have a lot of evidence though. Forbes had a good article a few days ago about the audit time frames. http://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2014/04/03/how-long-can-irs-audit-it-all-depends-on-you/

Buy peptides with BTC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: