Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 08:44:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Voting for Ron Paul is voting for love  (Read 7636 times)
Sovereign

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 04:50:37 PM

Wow people are still on this Ron Paul is a racist nonsense?

Reality check bros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mVe88Nt1s

12uB1LSPrAqeEefLJTDfd6rKsu3KjiFBpa

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 05:27:40 PM
Last edit: January 10, 2012, 05:38:12 PM by mizerydearia

Wow people are still on this Ron Paul is a racist nonsense?

Reality check bros
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-mVe88Nt1s

James B Powell is one of the racists, not Ron Paul, for it was James B Powell that wrote some of the racist contents that are used to blame Ron Paul.

It is suggested many of the other anonymous writings are also similar in style to James B Powell's.

Also, every president has been called a racist including Barack Obama.

"Talk of racism is lowest form of political discourse."
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:13:28 PM

He still shouldn't be letting "racist" stuff get published under his name. He has acknowledged he wasn't as vigilant as he should have been and it was a mistake on his part. I don't know what else you can ask of someone but we each must make our own decision on whether this is enough or not.

Anyway, once the quotes are taken in context they do not seem very racist but definitely insensitive to our country's history. They are based on government reports and have the underlying message that our criminal justice and welfare system is responsible for oppressing african americans. It is made clear from these newsletters that the author does not think criminality is genetically related to skin color or anything like that. You can disagree with this theory of his, but that does not make it ok to accuse him of racism for political gain. Even worse is all the people who just parrot the out of context quotes, or even start combining the two, or make up their own (I am beginning to believe the fleet-footed comment was made up by the Dallas Morning News interviewer). Someone should track down that guy and ask him where he read the fleet-footed line.

It is very disturbing how some people jump on the bandwagon and do not perform proper research just because their authoritative source of information tells them something is true, all the while accusing others of being "nieve". It reeks of fascism.
Sovereign

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:40:48 PM

Ron Paul is a racist  Cheesy.

Ron Paul Wouldn't Have Voted For The 1964 Civil Rights Act

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvbJBHhqftc

Edit: BTW I agree with him on the war on drugs in this video. Doesn't change the fact that he's a racist lol.

You're a dumbass if you think his opposition to part of the Civil Rights Act makes him racist

12uB1LSPrAqeEefLJTDfd6rKsu3KjiFBpa
mizerydearia (OP)

Activity: 574
Merit: 507

View Profile
January 11, 2012, 07:42:59 AM

bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2012, 07:55:36 AM

There is no indication that this was actually written by Ron Paul. The writing styles don't match up at all and there is no byline.

He is the editor of the newsletter.  He defended the newsletters in the 80's and 90's and showed not only that he knew of the contents but that he was involved in the newsletter itself.  He may not have written them directly but they certainly represent his views.  Only since the year 2000 has he started to disavow them, which is basically a lie. 

Can you source this? I wanna know if we are reading the same things. From reading some interviews with him it looks like he knew about and defended some of what was written but "repudiated" other parts, Meanwhile, the media is confusing people by lumping together everything as the "racist newsletters". Very disingenuous.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2011/12/27/395391/fact-check-ron-paul-personally-defended-racist-newsletters/

Here’s what Paul told CNN on December 21:

PAUL: I never read that stuff. I never — I would never — I came — I was probably aware of it 10 years after it was written… Well, you know, we talked about [the newsletters] twice yesterday at CNN. Why don’t you go back and look at what I said yesterday on CNN, and what I’ve said for 20-some years. It was 22 years ago. I didn’t write them. I disavow them and that’s it.

Paul’s denials, however, are not supported by the public record. When the newsletters first arose as an issue in 1996, Paul didn’t deny authorship. Instead, Paul personally repeated and defended some of the most incendiary racial claims in the newsletters.

In May 1996, Paul was confronted in an interview by the Dallas Morning News about a line that appeared in a 1992 newsletter, under the headline “Terrorist Update”: “If you have ever been robbed by a black teenaged male, you know how unbelievably fleet of foot they can be.” His response:

Dr. Paul denied suggestions that he was a racist and said he was not evoking stereotypes when he wrote the columns. He said they should be read and quoted in their entirety to avoid misrepresentation…

In the interview, he did not deny he made the statement about the swiftness of black men.

“If you try to catch someone that has stolen a purse from you, there is no chance to catch them,” Dr. Paul said.

Paul also defended his claim, made in the same 1992 newsletter that “we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in [Washington, DC] are semi-criminal or entirely criminal” Paul told the Dallas Morning News the statistic was an “assumption” you can gather from published studies.

Paul’s failure to deny authorship was not an oversight. He was repeatedly confronted about the newsletters during his 1996 campaign and consistently defended them as his own. A few examples:

– In 1996, Ron Paul’s campaign defended his statements about the rationality of fearing black men. (“[W]e are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational.”) The Houston Chronicle reports, “A campaign spokesman for Paul said statements about the fear of black males mirror pronouncements by black leaders such as the Rev. Jesse Jackson.” [Houston Chronicle, 5/23/96]

– Paul said that his comments on blacks contained in the newsletters should be viewed in the context of “current events and statistical reports of the time.” [Houston Chronicle, 5/23/96]

– Paul defended statements from an August 12, 1992 newsletter calling the late Rep. Barbara Jordan (D-TX) a “moron” and a “fraud.” Paul also said Jordon was “her race and sex protect her from criticism.” In response, Paul said “such opinions represented our clear philosophical difference.” [Roll Call, 7/29/96]

– “Also in 1992, Paul wrote, ‘Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions.’ Sullivan said Paul does not consider people who disagree with him to be sensible. And most blacks, [Paul spokesman Michael] Sullivan said, do not share Paul’s views.” [Austin American Statesman, 5/23/96]

Contrary to his statements to CNN last week, it was not until 2001, that he first claimed that newsletters were not written by him. He told the Texas Monthly in the October 2001 edition that “I could never say this in the campaign, but those words weren’t really written by me.” The reporter noted, “until this surprising volte-face in our interview, he had never shared this secret.”

I am interested in your response to what I posted.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  All
  Print  

Jump to: