Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:34:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [2014-04-09] Congressman Jared Polis Buys His First Bitcoin at Capitol Hill  (Read 785 times)
Ripdon007 (OP)

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 02:38:15 PM

https://coinreport.net/lawmaker-jared-polis-buys-bitcoin/

I mine my bitcoins at https://www.directpool.net ### I get my bitcoin news fix at https://coinreport.net
Bitcopia

Activity: 715
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 05:39:49 PM

My new favorite politician. I've never had a favorite politician before. And I love his response to the dangers of the USD versus BTC:

“Due to the dollar bills’ anonymity, the dollar bill market has been extremely susceptible to forgers, tax fraud, criminal cartels, and armed robbers stealing millions of dollars from their legitimate owners.”

Everybody wants to talk about bitcoin being used for to facilitate criminal activity. I can't imagine why they can't figure out that crime is much easier to commit with USD. I guess it's because nobody wants to take time to understand what bitcoin is. But this is just one more big step in the right direction. I mean if a Congressman is saying bitcoin is safer than USD, than it might be worth at least opening your mind to the possibility. Right? Right.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:21:50 PM

He is a great politician, but trapped in the wrong party. May be he will be able to overturn the Bitcoin ban in New York and other states.
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 06:27:26 PM

I think this is a important milestone in bitcoin history.
Bitcopia

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 07:37:05 PM

He is a great politician, but trapped in the wrong party. May be he will be able to overturn the Bitcoin ban in New York and other states.

I'm unaware of a Bitcoin ban. Are you suggesting Bitcoin is being tacitly banned by over-reaching and illogical regulation?
No_2

Activity: 901
Merit: 1033

BTC: the beginning of stake-based public resources

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 08:23:38 PM

Could you clarify to which bitcoin bans you are refering in New Yourk and other states.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:21:57 AM

Could you clarify to which bitcoin bans you are refering in New Yourk and other states.

OK... it is not explicitly banned in New York, but the politicians have rejected the requests to make the trade and possession of Bitcoin legal and regulated, a la Texas.
Kluge
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 08:16:16 AM

Important story (more for its future-critical implications) worth some more attention. Definitely take a close look at how he edited the senator's letters requesting the DoT & Fed ban bitcoin transactions. It's an argument we've used fairly often (it's practically Andreas Antonopoulous' catch-phrase; "just replace 'bitcoin' with 'dollar' in that sentence and you'll see we should ban dollars"), so it's reasonable to assume he's watching (as well as participating), and, without a doubt, our greatest ally-who's-an-elected-official in the US. For those interested in keeping Bitcoin "permitted" in the US, this fellow's pretty darn important - not for his <(.5*(1/435)) vote, obviously, but his wit, willingness to speak out, and office. Promoting something, as a politician, he has next to nothing to gain from is a somewhat confusing trait, too - probably for our benefit -- shouldn't be ignored.
Bitcopia

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 03:21:27 PM

Important story (more for its future-critical implications) worth some more attention. Definitely take a close look at how he edited the senator's letters requesting the DoT & Fed ban bitcoin transactions. It's an argument we've used fairly often (it's practically Andreas Antonopoulous' catch-phrase; "just replace 'bitcoin' with 'dollar' in that sentence and you'll see we should ban dollars"), so it's reasonable to assume he's watching (as well as participating), and, without a doubt, our greatest ally-who's-an-elected-official in the US. For those interested in keeping Bitcoin "permitted" in the US, this fellow's pretty darn important - not for his <(.5*(1/435)) vote, obviously, but his wit, willingness to speak out, and office. Promoting something, as a politician, he has next to nothing to gain from is a somewhat confusing trait, too - probably for our benefit -- shouldn't be ignored.

You're absolutely right. I just sent him the following email:

Congressman Polis,

I just want to say that I am impressed by your understanding of and willingness to support Bitcoin amidst a host of poor reporting that spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt about something that has huge potential to benefit everybody on this earth. The bitcoin community is growing larger every day, and we take note of people like you. We certainly appreciate the stance that you have taken. Your efforts do not go without notice.

Best Regards,
Toxic2040
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 4141

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 05:15:49 PM

Congressman Polis,

I just want to say that I am impressed by your understanding of and willingness to support Bitcoin amidst a host of poor reporting that spreads fear, uncertainty, and doubt about something that has huge potential to benefit everybody on this earth. The bitcoin community is growing larger every day, and we take note of people like you. We certainly appreciate the stance that you have taken. Your efforts do not go without notice.

Best Regards,

Somewhat redundant..but well meaning. I have also sent pro bitcoin emails to all my local, state and federal representatives encouraging them to take a closer look at this revolutionary technology. I recommend everyone here to do the same.
Bitcopia

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 08:06:35 PM

Congressman Polis,

Best Regards,

Somewhat redundant..but well meaning. I have also sent pro bitcoin emails to all my local, state and federal representatives encouraging them to take a closer look at this revolutionary technology. I recommend everyone here to do the same.

True. I spent less than 2 minutes on it, and I'm pretty sure he's not going to read past the first sentence. It was simply a gesture of support.

Everyone should feel free to send him their support as well:

https://polis.house.gov/forms/writeyourrep/default.aspx
laflaflaf

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 10:47:42 AM

This is a very good attempt

TheSmurfsCoin:Tn5HRXnMmbVQoDjsz3rgSZwZwQyz5JNXr2
ShareCoin:SfE8LN2MLVV5XHmKLizjZonAHYPMFS1muN
FootballCoin:Fe6JUNh9j9CB5pagUxWwifoSsNyLeU3md5
Pages: [1]