Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:48:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Make Mining Rig into Set-top box  (Read 2973 times)
swizzler (OP)

Activity: 24
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 07:51:42 AM

Hello,

Anybody out there think of working with a designer and manufacturer to make mining rigs that market as set-top boxes (with all the standard features).

Think of the what an amazing UI and experience can be achieved with all that power. 

I would imagine with a better form factor and some hype it would be more appealing to the average tech geek.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 09:49:15 AM

Thoughts?

Why?  Is there a market for set top boxes which are incredibly noisy, hot, and failure prone?

Generally speaking combining two random pieces of equipment doesn't make it better.  Like "has anyone thought of designing a cordless drill which also toasts bread?  You know that way you can have hot toast on the job site" Smiley
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 11:09:51 AM

How the hell would you convince people to buy them when stand alone set top boxes are so ridiculously cheap (and not noisy)?  In what way would they perform the STU function better to justify the price?

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
dunand

Activity: 637
Merit: 502

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:05:20 PM

You can look at BFL The Single. It's a cute box that have the STB form factor.
www.butterflylabs.com/product-details/
vapourminer
Legendary

Activity: 4326
Merit: 3536

what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 03:32:12 PM

really. why bother.

drop a card in an existing HTPC setup. properly setup, cgminer keeps it quiet.

mine is a 6770 in an antec veris fusion black case. not exactly set top box size, but still on the small side. and there are smaller HTPC cases.

HTPCs are (usually) always on anyway, so the only added power draw is the card itself.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 10:18:03 PM

First tips is to not have more than one GPU on windows since you'll be sucking a full CPU core.
Sannyasi

Activity: 454
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2012, 11:28:32 PM

First tips is to not have more than one GPU on windows since you'll be sucking a full CPU core.

not with the newest ati/amd drivers, that problem is fixed

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 01:56:02 AM

not with the newest ati/amd drivers, that problem is fixed
Isn't there a big drop in performance from these drivers ?
Sannyasi

Activity: 454

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2012, 03:30:38 AM

small drop for me, so i guess it just depends on what you prefer. I also game with my cards and it fixed a couple issues I was having so that's another plus for me

1DxP5iL6hN5Gd3cwmDz9uFSntW8ALBQaGK

http://gamerkeys.net/common/home.htm <- the best place to get games!

my portfoio: http://windowsofamind.com
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 03:37:32 AM

Except it doesn't exist...
cuz0882

Activity: 392

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 08:37:18 AM

I dunno, but there has to be a better way to cool these pc's. I know I don't keep my beer cold by placing a fan on it. And water cooling a pc is not cost effective and still dumps all the heat in the room. Some kind of pc case that's build into a window AC would be nice. That or they could start putting some descent heatsinks on these cards. 25 degrees outside and I still have the AC in the house. Summer is going to be fun.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 03:35:48 PM

I dunno, but there has to be a better way to cool these pc's. I know I don't keep my beer cold by placing a fan on it. And water cooling a pc is not cost effective and still dumps all the heat in the room. Some kind of pc case that's build into a window AC would be nice. That or they could start putting some descent heatsinks on these cards. 25 degrees outside and I still have the AC in the house. Summer is going to be fun.

Water cooling dumps the heater wherever the radiator is.  If the radiator is outside ....

AC units are horribly inefficient.  They are necessary because air is such a poor conductor for heat.  Given we don't want to heat air simply heating water (much better thermal conductivity) and dumping it outside is always going to be more efficient.
jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 08, 2012, 12:24:42 PM

That or they could start putting some descent heatsinks on these cards.

But they do. Seen the tri-slot ASUS cards? The problem is, whether you're doing air- or water-cooling, you do have to dump the huge amounts of heat somewhere. If you're running AC in your house, it will have to deal with the additional thermal load raising your energy bills.
You'd best plan for the summer now. I'm dumping the heat outside using air ducts. Doesn't look pretty but is extremely cost-effective.

Using GPUs ,there can be no talking about bitcoin rig set-top boxes. However hard you try you can't beat thermodynamics.

At present there is no such thing as a BFL FPGA rig, no one has ever seen one in the wild. Perhaps in, uhmmm... 4 to 6 weeks? :>
cuz0882

View Profile
January 09, 2012, 10:04:13 PM

Butterflylabs is a scam. I mean, really? Anyone dumb enough to give these guys money deserves what they get.
Transisto
Donator
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 10, 2012, 04:56:45 AM

Butterflylabs is a scam. I mean, really? Anyone dumb enough to give these guys money deserves what they get.
Look like you are ~1000 posts late...

PS : It is not a scam (yet)
cuz0882

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 05:37:29 AM

It was a scam the day they posted those fake pictures that have nothing to do with bitcoin mining. Think I have a old espresso machine in the garage, I can put a fancy heatsink on it. Label it a 20 watt, 24g/hash mining super computer and you can buy it from me.
rjk

1ngldh

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 01:48:58 PM

It was a scam the day they posted those fake pictures that have nothing to do with bitcoin mining. Think I have a old espresso machine in the garage, I can put a fancy heatsink on it. Label it a 20 watt, 24g/hash mining super computer and you can buy it from me.
Just because it doesn't look like a video card doesn't mean it couldn't do the same thing, relative to bitcoin mining.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
RandyFolds

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 05:13:08 PM

Just because it doesn't look like a video card doesn't mean it couldn't do the same thing, relative to bitcoin mining.

He's got a point...they sold people a product that didn't exist, and may never exist.
Epoch
Legendary

Activity: 922
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 10, 2012, 10:53:51 PM

"Mining rig" as "set-top box":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron
Garr255
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1000

What's a GPU?

View Profile
January 22, 2012, 06:29:17 PM

"Mining rig" as "set-top box":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymoron

^Agreed.

“First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.”  -- Mahatma Gandhi

Average time between signing on to bitcointalk: Two weeks. Please don't expect responses any faster than that!
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: