Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 05:46:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mt gox Account Verification  (Read 1712 times)
Dirtyhippy42000 (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 05:30:34 PM

So i signed into my mt gox account the other day to withdraw 10 Bitcoins and was greeted with " your account needs to verified to make withdraws"
Being that im still pretty new to bitcoin, i think ok no big deal they will just send me and email ill verify and ill be ok.
As most of you probably know that is not the case. Mt Gox wants and i quote " Your government issued photo ID (passport, permanent residence card or driver’s license) " and "A scan of either your monthly utility bill (power, phone, TV, gas, water, etc.) or a certificate of residency issued by your local government."
i have two problems with this.
1. I dont have any of those things except my drivers license and im pretty sure thats not enough
2. Hasn't Mt Gox been "compromised" before? I don't think I would feel very safe sending this type of information to them knowing there "security" is not very tight.
Im very upset about this and about to call my 110 bitcoins a loss not wanting to reveal to much of myself to what seems an almost impossible way to receive my funds.
I guess my last hope is that some kind soul out there can share there experiences with MT gox support team and persuade me to trusting them enough to send them my personal information

oh and by any chance someone from mt gox support team wants to help a newbie get there money back and keep trading on your exchange my request help ticket is number #17309

will update if anything ever happens to the account....

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 10:35:45 PM

A scan of either your monthly utility bill (power, phone, TV, gas, water, etc.) or a certificate of residency issued by your local government."
i have two problems with this.
1. I dont have any of those things except my drivers license and im pretty sure thats not enough

agreed that is bad practice for mt. gox to have a signup process that lets you create an account, receive funds and start trading without ever once mentioning that when you withdraw you may need to provide documentation to verify your identity.

they probably aren't going to let you withdraw without that information though.  you didn't mention which country you are in.  a certificate of residency isn't widely used (yet) in the u.s., but one is probably available from your county office.  it is probably cheaper to just sign up for a prepaid mobile phone service for one month so you have a statement with an address.
finway

Activity: 714
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:46:39 AM

Me too, submitted, waiting.

abaaj

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 11:13:40 AM

if your selling it PM me
trappermcnutt

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 03:36:34 PM

I don't understand!

This just happened to me as well and I seem to missing something....What is Mt Gox verifying? To register for an account and deposit funds all I needed was a username and password.  What use could they possible have with my ID and utility bills? There is no name or address attached to my account.

Also thought much of the appeal of Bitcoin was it's anonymous nature - sending my photo ID to those selling me Bitcoin seems to destroy any attempts at anonymity. Am I wrong?

Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 04:00:08 PM

Paypay creates service.
Everyone loves it.
Laws and policies change.
Paypal changes.
Everyone hates it.
People make bitcoin.
Bitcoin businesses create service.
Everyone loves it.
Laws and policies change.
Service changes.
Everyone hates it.

Any more bright ideas?

Dirtyhippy42000 (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 04:09:18 PM

Ok so i just checked my email and my mt gox support ticket and what do i see to my surprise. my account suspension had been lifted!   Cheesy
This has made my day being i was about to call the account a loss and start trading with another exchange. I see alot of negativity towards Mt gox and there support team and that was almost what made walk away from them but then figured i had nothing to lose by submitting a ticket. They answered all questions (as to why the account was frozen) pretty quickly and sent me information as to what was going on with the account everyday and within six days the suspension was lifted. Im now happy as can be to withdrawing funds and trading on there exchange again. so all in all i just wanted to update and let everyone know that i had a positive experience with mt gox support team and the issue was resolved fast. thanks mt gox! your support team has restored my faith in you  Cheesy
trappermcnutt

Activity: 7

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 05:02:35 PM

glad to hear it worked out. i understand mt gox is taking extra security measures for our benefit and that things aren't always instant and easy......but i still do not understand how my ID/bills will verify anything??

To register for Mt. Gox all you need is username password, right? How are they verifying anything with an ID? I could send in any ID, all it would prove is that I have access to the account information.

Someone please explain.  I am frustrated b/c it seems like nobody else is wondering why this is so - i must be missing something obvious.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: