Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 01:17:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blockchain 2.0 – Let a Thousand Chains Blossom  (Read 8128 times)
sickpig (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:16:33 PM
Last edit: April 10, 2014, 06:13:58 AM by sickpig

Mind blowing

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/blockchain-2-0-let-a-thousand-chains-blossom/#.U0XUXYn8Lcd

Edit: For anyone interested in getting more details just listen to LTB episodes 77 and 99. If you don't have enough time jus read Adam Back posts on this reddit thread:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/22m063/blockchain_20_let_a_thousand_chains_blossom

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
seriouscoin

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:22:36 PM

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:31:02 PM

"This past week, Adam Levine interviewed the two gentlemen and learned that Hill and Back have created a company that includes several Bitcoin core developers working on a project momentarily dubbed “Blockchain 2.0” (the actual name and website will be released soon)."

Your image isn't currently working.
Here it is:

jr3951

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:43:10 AM

what I want to know is how the lead singer for Maroon 5 got into bitcoin and if he plans to make it as bad as his music
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:55:06 AM

"So in essence, while there are multiple chains, no new bitcoins are created. Protecting the digital scarcity of the finite amount of tokens (ultimately 21 million) is a core point to this project. By linking chains they have set Bitcoin up as a “transactional currency for all the innovation and all new assets so you can potentially issue shares in a sidechain, that specializes in smart contracts shares, derivatives, user assets, ultimately backed by Bitcoin pegged to Bitcoin,  explained Back."

Isn't something/someone else already doing this? (i.e. Mastercoin)

Peter R
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:59:40 AM
Last edit: April 10, 2014, 10:56:48 PM by Peter R

We've been working on a related concept here on the forum since yesterday.  Instead of side chains, it is a method to bootstrap altcoins using snapshots of the unspent outputs to determine the initial distribution of any pre-mine.    

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=68655.msg6134782#msg6134782

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563925.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563972.0

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
g4c

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
April 10, 2014, 05:04:06 AM

Interesting.

So am I right in thinking that the interface between the main blockchain and a "sidechain" in effect just does the job that Cryptsy already does:

Provide an exchange interface for a free market of altcoins, albeit in a decentralised manner.

CORTEX7 Multi exchange Bitcoin trading client for Win, Mac, Nix, Android.
sickpig (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:03:00 AM

"So in essence, while there are multiple chains, no new bitcoins are created. Protecting the digital scarcity of the finite amount of tokens (ultimately 21 million) is a core point to this project. By linking chains they have set Bitcoin up as a “transactional currency for all the innovation and all new assets so you can potentially issue shares in a sidechain, that specializes in smart contracts shares, derivatives, user assets, ultimately backed by Bitcoin pegged to Bitcoin,  explained Back."

Isn't something/someone else already doing this? (i.e. Mastercoin)

I haven't already understood all the details nor thought about all the implications, but Adam Back said that the current metacoins implementations are somewhat limited (e.g. in regard of smart contracts), whereas the one built on a 2way peg side chains will be based on tagging not watermarking in such a way to avoid those limitations.

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
sickpig (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:08:25 AM

Interesting.

So am I right in thinking that the interface between the main blockchain and a "sidechain" in effect just does the job that Cryptsy already does:

Provide an exchange interface for a free market of altcoins, albeit in a decentralised manner.

The main aims are preserving bitcoin digital scarcity and innovating bitcoin without risking to blew  everything due to a fast pace of innovation. A decentralized "exchange" is "only" a side effect :-)

shads

Activity: 266
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:55:29 AM

I've been thinking about a similar concept lately as a way of handling visa scale transactions.  It also relies on being a lock a coin to another merge mined chain and later unlock it with verification from the side chain.

The point being to create many transaction processing blocs.  Coins are spent into a bloc then bulk transactions are processed and at some point coins are returned to bitcoin.  Thus bitcoin acts more as a store of value and clearing house rather than a bulk transaction processor.  The side chains might even have limited lifespans i.e. every x days the chain stops operating, everyone returns coins back to bitcoin chain then a new one is started from scratch.

PoolServerJ Home Page - High performance java mining pool engine

Quote from: Matthew N. Wright
Stop wasting the internet.
b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 09:54:17 AM

I really like the sound of "Let a Thousand Chains Blossom" Smiley
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:17:30 PM

These guys r interested in their own profit. Why do u think u'll jump their train?
sickpig (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:28:23 PM

These guys r interested in their own profit. Why do u think u'll jump their train?

"these guys" who?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:41:05 PM

"these guys" who?

The guys behind Blockchain 2.0.
BittBurger

Activity: 924
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 04:53:52 PM

Mind blowing

Agreed.

Can't recommend enough.  Check out the LTB episode.  Everyone needs to hear this.

http://letstalkbitcoin.com/e99-sidechain-innovation/#.U0bMk1c1Gn8

-B-

Owner: "The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
View it on the Blockchain | Genesis Block Newspaper Copies
trout

Activity: 333
Merit: 252

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:44:20 PM

videos, reddit posts, crap-slaps  ... someone pleast post a link to the paper!
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:00:14 PM

An unknown guy with a funny name Satoshi Nakamoto came out of the blue and launched Bitcoin.

A famous guy with a funny name Dacoinminster spent a lot of time talking to people on conferences and tried to launch Mastercoin having 4000 BTC (failed).

An unknown guy with a funny name BCNext came out of the blue and launched Nxt having 21 BTC.

Famous guys spent a lot of time talking to people on conferences and are trying to launch Ethereum having millions USD (in progress).

Famous guys will be spending a lot of time talking to people on conferences and will try to launch Blockchain 2.0 having millions USD (in progress).

Am I the only one who sees a clear pattern here?
vnvizow

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:09:30 PM

An unknown guy with a funny name Satoshi Nakamoto came out of the blue and launched Bitcoin.

A famous guy with a funny name Dacoinminster spent a lot of time talking to people on conferences and tried to launch Mastercoin having 4000 BTC (failed).

An unknown guy with a funny name BCNext came out of the blue and launched Nxt having 21 BTC.

Famous guys spent a lot of time talking to people on conferences and are trying to launch Ethereum having millions USD (in progress).

Famous guys will be spending a lot of time talking to people on conferences and will try to launch Blockchain 2.0 having millions USD (in progress).

Nope but aye! Random color patterns that tickles my OCD
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:16:09 PM

Nope but aye! Random color patterns that tickles my OCD

CTRL+A
Mashuri

Activity: 135
Merit: 107

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 06:16:58 PM

I see a competition to make Bitcoin 2.0.  My money is on the team with the most credibility: Bitcoin 1.0 core devs and the creator of Hashcash (also one of the original cypherpunks) and the best, most sensible idea (Blockchain 2.0)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: