Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:12:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Libertarian Candidate Robert Sarvis Accepting Bitcoin  (Read 879 times)
sangaman (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:22:16 PM

Robert Sarvis, a Libertarian candidate running for US Senate in Virginia, started accepting bitcoin donations today. Sarvis previously ran for Governor in Virginia in 2013 and got over 6% of the vote, quite unprecedented for relative unknown third party candidate with very little campaign funding.

Here's an ad he ran during the Governor election cycle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeOZKzWNgcs

And here's his website with more information about him: http://www.robertsarvis.com/

I've had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with Sarvis on several occasions. He may be the most sincere and intelligent person running for national office, and I think supporting candidates like he is critical if we'd like to see change for the better in our political system. There's no better way to financially support him than with bitcoin, and I'm confident his campaign would use these funds very wisely to advance liberty and fight the hegemony of the two major parties and monied interests over our government.

I will be throwing a few satoshis his way and I hope others join in. Go here to donate:

https://robertsarvis.com/help/donate#btc

Thanks!
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 09, 2014, 11:29:21 PM

Donate today everyone.
Any word on if he is being invited to the debate(s) this year?

sangaman (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2014, 11:37:05 PM

Donate today everyone.
Any word on if he is being invited to the debate(s) this year?

Seeing as how he was repeatedly polling double digits during the Governor election cycle and the major campaigns (particularly Cuccinelli) did everything they possibly could to keep him out of the debates, and were successful, I doubt this time around will be any different. But there's hope, and I will do what I can to pressure networks and debate hosts into including him.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3682
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:38:04 AM

Wow great... now we have Republicans, Democrats and Libertarians accepting Bitcoins. Common Greens! You can't be far behind.  Grin
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:39:38 AM

He will dump all the donations ASAP
skooter

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 07:57:56 AM

lol, you realize you're wasting your money right?

The US Govt has no interest in letting some libertarian into the senate.

Even on the off chance he got the votes, don't forget who counts the votes.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:26:23 PM

He will dump all the donations ASAP

Well... if he could use Bitcoin in his campaign, then he will hold some of them. Else he will convert them to fiat.
sangaman (OP)

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 12:54:58 PM

lol, you realize you're wasting your money right?

The US Govt has no interest in letting some libertarian into the senate.

Even on the off chance he got the votes, don't forget who counts the votes.

He got close to 7% of the votes in the Gubernatorial cycle, and while that wasn't nearly enough to win the election, it was more than enough to get mainstream media exposure and to reach millions with his message of promoting liberty and stopping crony capitalism. The US political system can't be fixed in a day, but supporting candidates like Sarvis and many of the core principles he espouses are steps in the right direction.

Here's some of that media attention:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2013/09/20/robert-sarvis-the-other-choice-in-the-virginia-gubernatorial-race/
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-f-will-robert-sarvis-virginias-other-choice-for-governor/2013/10/23/1544f8d6-3b5c-11e3-b6a9-da62c264f40e_story.html
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/08/libertarian-robert-sarvis-drew-record-high-votes-in-virginia.html

Having a defeatist attitude in regards to THIS election only helps ensure that things won't change for the better in our lifetimes, and that's not something I'm willing to concede. I believe this is a great opportunity to do something about it, and that this is a great use of bitcoin. I believe Sarvis embodies the spirit behind bitcoin and that the bitcoin community could make a statement here and have a positive effect on the political system by supporting him.
_huxley

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2014, 01:14:03 PM

I live in Virginia and I'll be voting in the upcoming senate race between incumbent Mark Warner (Democrat), an undeclared republican, and Robert Sarvis (Libertarian).

I think it's really interesting that Robert Sarvis is willing to accept Bitcoin donations, regardless of if he is dumping them right away.

It's interesting to see Bitcoin showing up in politics, and it will be interesting to see what the government will do regarding Bitcoin and political donations.  I mean, how do you even begin to deal with preventing outside interests from pumping millions in Bitcoin at any time to any candidate anywhere in the world.....

It's actually a little scary to think about.
zolace

Activity: 364

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 07:16:18 PM

This is awesome if politicians get involved the bitcoin trend will reach in the government maybe they will educate others.

⚂⚄ Pocket Dice — Real dice experienceProvably Fair
Free BTC Faucet
⚅⚁
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
blueadept

Activity: 225
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 12:23:17 AM

The great thing about this race is that Warner had already also expressed a positive view toward Bitcoin. But Sarvis is accepting it first. I've been bugging him since he first announced he was running for governor.

Like my posts?  Connect with me on LinkedIn and endorse my "Bitcoin" skill.
Decentralized, instant off-chain payments.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:41:36 AM

The great thing about this race is that Warner had already also expressed a positive view toward Bitcoin. But Sarvis is accepting it first. I've been bugging him since he first announced he was running for governor.

I will be great if all three candidates end up accepting Bitcoins. That will give us a lot of publicity (+ some legality), and help us to neutralize the bad PR generated by the Gox scandal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: