Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 05:18:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [RFC] æthereum: a turing-complete coin distributed as per bitcoin's blockchain  (Read 48639 times)
YarkoL
Legendary

Activity: 996
Merit: 1013

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 08:22:14 PM

I imagine that we could see a wide range of distribution models, including weighted models that adjust for age or difficulty or some other metric.

Interestingly, these models can probably best be implemented on Ethereum (or its spin-offs).

“God does not play dice"
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 11, 2014, 10:42:10 PM

This distribution method would give Satoshi control over every market, not just over Bitcoin's market.

No you can spin-off to only addresses containing unspent outputs generated between block X and Y and Satoshi won't get any.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 02:33:01 AM

This distribution method would give Satoshi control over every market, not just over Bitcoin's market.

no, the same % of the altclone market that he already has in the Bitcoin market.
Adrian-x
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:07:42 AM

no, the same % of the altclone market that he already has in the Bitcoin market.
Yes thinking about it he has potential energy in the Bitcoin market not control.

Still the argument in my view is mute just make 2 spin-offs, let the market choose, I think it's obvious but who knows it may fly.

After all I'm swapping fiat for Bitcoin because the bankers with mountains of fiat can't do the same, some may feel like Satoshi is the equivalent problem in Bitcoin like the bank's of today in fiat and choose an alt over Bitcoin. 

I'm happy to leave it to the market, and encourage diversity.

Thank me in Bits 12MwnzxtprG2mHm3rKdgi7NmJKCypsMMQw
rapport

Activity: 157
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:46:12 PM

Who's the team ?
Tobo

Activity: 763
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:29:59 PM

1 - will the coins I receive depend on my current btc account balance or the btc amount spent before in this account?

2 - can I claim multiple btc accounts?

3 - how can I sign the signature if I use coinbase wallet?
Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 06:42:14 PM

It's a great idea, but falls into the trap that so many great technical ideas have - it expects the human behaviour part of the plan to simply fall into place.

Cryptocoins are nothing without adoption.

Indeed, cryptocoins are nothing without adoption.  The spin-off technique is a method to achieve the largest built-in potential user base, based around a coin distribution that we know to be efficient for the largest cryptocurrency (bitcoin).

Please remember that this is an experiment.  We don't know how the general spin-off technique will play out in practice, nor do we know how important promotion of the spin-off's "launch" is.  On the one hand, if the "launch" is poorly advertised, then there are less potential buyers but there are also less potential sellers.  If the launch is widely promoted, then there are more potential buyers but also more potential sellers.  

As smooth pointed out, if you believe the conditions for Coase's theorem hold, one could argue that the market would likely favour the spin-off because there are less trading costs needed to achieve an efficient distribution (and zero IPO costs)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coase_theorem

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
bahatassafus

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:51:43 PM

What about BTC I hold at an exchange? Would I need to move all my BTC to a personal BTC wallet before nucleus?
that you should do regardless
bahatassafus

Activity: 34
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:03:00 PM

How will you prevent multiple addresses signing on the same coins?
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 10:09:11 PM

How will you prevent multiple addresses signing on the same coins?

There will be a specified block number. The address holds the coins as of that block number is the one that gets to redeem.

crimealone

Activity: 644
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:41:53 AM

So the more btc you own, the more æther you will get. Right?

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
     ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
l4p7

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 09:44:36 AM

Sorry but this is crap. For it to work you (the developers) would need to be better at developing and maintaining the ethereum services than the origional Ethereum theam (induding their supporting community). Now is there a dev team plus a supporting community for every innovative altcoin?Huh

Edit: Plus you ad a bad token distribution which is bad for security if it is a POS project....

any contra arguments?
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:32:50 PM

So the more btc you own, the more æther you will get. Right?

Yes.

The greater proportion of Bitcoin you own, the greater proportion of aether you will receive.
cypherdoc
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:34:57 PM

Sorry but this is crap. For it to work you (the developers) would need to be better at developing and maintaining the ethereum services than the origional Ethereum theam (induding their supporting community). Now is there a dev team plus a supporting community for every innovative altcoin?Huh

Edit: Plus you ad a bad token distribution which is bad for security if it is a POS project....

any contra arguments?

Because it is a clone of the open source code, the original and successive versions will be copied.
YarkoL
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:42:55 PM

any contra arguments?

Because it is a clone of the open source code, the original and successive versions will be copied.

What kind of counterargument is this?

What would give a coin more value: a) dedicated dev team that can expand and elucidate on the coin's feature set or b) some cloner?

“God does not play dice"
GTO911

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 03:45:31 PM

Why is this SCAM getting so many view? I WARN all the noobs again, this scam will suck hard earned money out of your pockets and give it to bitcoin bagholders. STAY AWAY!

Peter R (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1162
Merit: 1007

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 04:35:50 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2014, 08:26:22 PM by Peter R

Why is this SCAM getting so many view? I WARN all the noobs again, this scam will suck hard earned money out of your pockets and give it to bitcoin bagholders. STAY AWAY!

Thank you for expressing your concern GTO911.  

My recommendation for members new to our cryptocurrency community is to simply do nothing.  By holding bitcoin, you will automatically be granted the same % of aether.  If aether takes off, you piggyback all the gains; if aether crashes and burns, you had nothing at risk.

I would recommend that GTO911 sell his share of aether if he believes it to be a scam: he essentially gets "free money" if he believes aether to be valueless.  If he is willing to sell it for cheap enough, some people might be tempted to take a nibble in case it works out.  

Run Bitcoin Unlimited (www.bitcoinunlimited.info)
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:36:55 PM

What would give a coin more value: a) dedicated dev team that can expand and elucidate on the coin's feature set or b) some cloner?

Neither. From the users' point of view they are the same.
YarkoL
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:55:50 PM

In principle. But in practice the human perception of one as the clone and the other as the original could be a factor.

I don't know - I sort of like the idea as a service for coin developers, but reading the posts it looks like you guys are more delighted by the threat aspect of the scheme, and this for me is a turn-off, and I may not be the only one.

“God does not play dice"
smooth
Legendary

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 08:02:11 PM

In principle. But in practice the human perception of one as the clone and the other as the original could be a factor.

I don't know - I sort of like the idea as a service for coin developers, but reading the posts it looks like you guys are more delighted by the threat aspect of the scheme, and this for me is a turn-off, and I may not be the only one.

I'm all for developers doing innovative things. Pre-mines that attempt to line their pockets from day zero whether or not they actually add any value to the project going forward not so much.

There are better business models, and I hope developers adopt them.

Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: