Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 06:43:11 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first three weeks being a bitcoin startup!  (Read 1797 times)
gweedo (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 02:17:07 AM
Last edit: April 14, 2014, 09:00:22 PM by gweedo

First off this isn't my first bitcoin startup but this is my long term startup and first one that I feel I actually have to work at it being good.

The site is https://apicoin.io

So the first week was insane, not only did I buy a VPS that didn't work for my needs but I apparently got a life ban from a second hosting company because they didn't know that the bitcoin node was not a hacking tool. I was saved by http://www.bitronictech.net/ and he actually worked with me to get the right vps for my service. I got it up and running put my paranoid devop hat on and added all security features that I feel are must needs. Thank god I did that. As soon as I started to promote this site, and people saw I had a bitcoin node that is running on the server, I was getting about 100-200 attacks daily. Even though this bitcoin node is in disable wallet mode and is gateway to bitcoin network for other applications basically it has no money didn't stop people from trying. I was reading the server logs more often than I was reading my emails. This caused me not to sleep that much and become even more paranoid. I have fought back most of the attacks.

Second week after being sure my server would survive the daily attacks. I started hammering out some long term goals.
  • Privacy of information that users are querying from my servers.
  • Working closely with every client no matter how big or small.
  • Making the most robust, secure, and reliable api to bitcoin network.
Then I started hammering out short term goals which are more like features and milestones for the site. These will not be shared. I also fixed a lot of bugs and fine tuned how the site is running. Now I don't have to baby sit it as much and setup my automatic alerts. I also didn't sleep a lot. I also joined a startup forum and was laughed at because I am doing a bitcoin startup. This just made me so much hungrier and I told them I have a lot of work to do, I have yet to be back.

Third week which was last week. I woke up everyday, with the mindset of Pinkey and the Brain. To just be hungry about taking over the world. Also I talked to some cool people and went to some cool places (Can't really talk about these parts). The site is in beta and I wish the beta users would be more verbose about what is going right and what is going wrong. I hope to open up payments later this month. Which I will then use the site to have the site notify itself of payments. I hope bring on some talent, because it is just me and social media person.

So what I learned these past weeks. One to always stay hungry, corny I know. I breathe, sleep and eat bitcoin, it is has fully become my life. I always on the look out for people to join the site as clients. I send out about 10 cold emails a day, and many of them are not bitcoiners but their site can benefit. I answer some support emails, and I am always looking for ways to improve the site.

Feel free to leave questions in this thread.
d2dtk

Activity: 518
Merit: 501

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 05:48:27 AM

What kind of attacks were they unleashing on your server?

bitsmichel

Merit: 250

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 11:29:24 AM

Very nice logo. It need some more simple explanation of what you are offering.

nachius

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 12:40:37 PM

First gweedo congrats this was no small task and something that was needed for the progression of BTC as a whole.  Offering more direct access to the blockchain and then allow clients to manipulate on their own end as they see fit to create data and information was the next logical step.  This removes a lot of the mystery around BTC and allows information to be gathered easily and translated to something normal non-bitcoin end users to understand.  This has benefits far beyond just a company not wanting to run their own node, but allows everyone free access to the information that exists, but is sometimes difficult for most to decipher!

I look forward to your success with this and although I've never directly talked to you I always stop and read your threads and respect what you do and post!

Oh and be sure to get enough sleep it will still be there tomorrow and you can't afford burn out take some time to relax and listed to Wu! Smiley
cosmofly

Activity: 532
Merit: 100

PrimeDAO - An Adoption Engine for Open Finance

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 01:02:19 PM

Very bad startup , you don't have a good revenue model.

Idea not enough, revenue model is key

jarhed

Activity: 672
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 03:03:36 PM

Beta you say.......
1. Logo image lacks attitude. <<--probably the reason skids attack....
2. So many shades of blue, now I feel slightly depressed and confused.
3. Where's the FAQ? Nothing is compelling me to go beyond the first page.
4. You're a coder, stick to coding, get yourself a site designer, preferably a female.

bitsmichel

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:14:52 PM

Thank you, I know but I am right now focusing on the backend, it isn't as stable. Once that is really stable and we are out of beta I will focus on frontend a bit more.

I think explanation would be good in form of an image. Something that a 3 year old would understand;
Examples of API usage would be good.. in what prog. lang i can use it? why would i use it?

bitsmichel

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 10:59:05 PM

yes, some visual drawing or photo, in which a non-technical person would understand what your service is for.   bitcoin.org is a good example.
They have a youtube video and some short explanation.

Inside an office money usually comes from a financial section to which the word 'api' is magic speak. Of course hackers like us understand it.
Your target audience is bussines, i assume?

As to why you would use it, it is managed, scalable, secure api. It is meant to make it easy to get data from the bitcoin network without hosting your own bitcoind, or having requirements. You run this from any server or application.

You want these words on your website in bold: managed, scalable, secure

bitsmichel

View Profile
April 10, 2014, 11:25:10 PM

Actually my target audience in the office would be system administers and programmers. I don't understand why anyone outside of those people would be looking at my service.

There are a lot of programmers,  i dont know the exact numbers, more than 8 million. If you can widen your audience, it can mean more money for you.
Example: a financial manager decides to use your API. Buys 120 licenses for all developers around the globe.
Paid model is not the only model, it depends; I know of 3-4 models.

How much web-traffic of programmers are you getting? do you need more?

ill take a nap;

str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 04:01:45 AM

I'd like to thank Gweedo for the opportunity to design the logo mark for this exciting startup!

It definitely provides something the bitcoin ecosystem needs.

I believe once the front end is polished a bit more apicoin will have strong brand recognition.

Good luck moving forward!
jarhed

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:03:33 PM

Say what you want, that logo is horrible.

Not the idea of the logo itself, just the style. Repeat, not the idea of an arrow through BTC, just that the design is, amateur-ish....Please hire a professional.

kittucrypt

Activity: 300
Merit: 253

Ok Check!

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 03:13:56 PM

Not the idea of the logo itself, just the style. Repeat, not the idea of an arrow through BTC, just that the design is, amateur-ish....Please hire a professional.

I will have to agree with that. Logo looks poorly drawn.

jarhed

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:13:16 PM

Well why do you think it is poorly drawn you two? I mean you just said it, you didn't back it up at all. I personally like it.

You said you like the arrow through BTC, nothing wrong with that, the idea though is poorly executed.

Please don't let this distract you, simply hire about three separate graphics designer and have them execute your ideas, select three from each then see how bitcoiners feel about your selections. Make a choice between your personal favorite and that of everyone else.

jarhed

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 05:38:08 PM

Well why do you think it is poorly drawn you two? I mean you just said it, you didn't back it up at all. I personally like it.

You said you like the arrow through BTC, nothing wrong with that, the idea though is poorly executed.

Please don't let this distract you, simply hire about three separate graphics designer and have them execute your ideas, select three from each then see how bitcoiners feel about your selections. Make a choice between your personal favorite and that of everyone else.

This is exactly what I did. I am just curious why you don't think it was professional done?

Just my opinion.
Maybe your targeted audience prefer as it is. I'm not a coder.
str4wm4n
Legendary

View Profile
April 12, 2014, 09:52:28 PM
Last edit: April 13, 2014, 06:31:33 AM by str4wm4n

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8idEf-Iak&feature=player_embedded#t=168

I would appreciate and be open to specific instructions on how to change the current logo to make it have more 'attitude'.

b!z
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1010

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:56:33 AM

just some thoughts on the logo:

* it's 2014, 3D logos aren't cool anymore
* i get the idea behind the arrow - it's supposed to convey speed, but the way it's portrayed in the current logo doesn't really seem to show that at all.
* the font doesn't seem to show speed or flexibility either. it looks childish/cute, not exactly "robust" or "secure"
* do you need a bitcoin in the logo? there isn't a "B" in APIcoin.io, it can get confusing if you're going to use the coin in an icon/social media avatar

a $50 logo probably isn't going to get you anywhere, especially considering how much it costs to hire a skilled designer for x hours.
jarhed

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:02:57 PM

I stand by my earlier hypothesis.
That logo is the reason you're experiencing daily high volume skids attack.  Tongue
str4wm4n
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 06:45:27 PM

I stand by my earlier hypothesis.
That logo is the reason you're experiencing daily high volume skids attack.  Tongue

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard lol  Roll Eyes
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 02:43:53 AM

Cheers Gweedo...nice work.

Can you explain a bit more about your business?
What is the pricing?  Do you have some use cases documented?
(Who exactly would use your service and why)

P.s. Agree that logo should be improved....'API service'
invokes imagery of sharp precision and high-tech but your logo
looks fuzzy and a bit weird, no offense.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: