Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:07:08 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin stigma and distrust: Public Online  (Read 1255 times)
TeaL (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 10:56:48 PM

It should come as no surprise to any bitcoin user that there is alot of stigma out there about bitcoin and the people that use it. I recently ran into some of this first hand.

I participate in a multitude of different forums, and today decided to try and get some users interested in bitcoin. I created a new thread and advertised that I would send anyone who adopted the currency (just downloading the client) a free 0.01 BTC. I provided all proper links to documentation, and quotations to explain what bitcoin is. My post was met with dismissal and accusations of advertising a scam. A moderator even posted that "This is little to no different than a chain letter or pyramid scheme. Those get permanent bans. Are you SURE that you want to advertise it?". His non-obligatory posted warning was generous, and I commend him for doing so (tho I couldn't make use of it because I left to check the temperatures of my rig after posting the thread).

I have been a member of said forum for over 4 years, and I was given a permanent ban. It took 6 volleys back and forth between the moderator and I in private messages to have the ban reduced.

My point, look at the stigma bitcoin has, "This is little to no different than a chain letter or pyramid scheme". The name has been poisoned, this will have to improve before it can possibly meet mainstream adoption.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Explodicle

Activity: 950
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:52:36 AM

I realize that most people reading this post don't need convincing, but I wouldn't really consider it a pyramid scheme because any sustainable increase in value is solely because of actual usefulness and services rendered, like any other startup. You might as well be offering tiny gift certificates to a company in which you own stock, which is kinda spammy. I think the best way to help spread Bitcoin is just by accepting and offering it for normal transactions. Don't even bring up the deflation aspect when talking to potential users, it poisons their first impression and encourages skepticism of your vested interest.

In the long run, EnCoin should help address these concerns, but the market will decide whether or not it is necessary.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:58:28 AM

It should come as no surprise to any bitcoin user that there is alot of stigma out there about bitcoin and the people that use it. I recently ran into some of this first hand.

I participate in a multitude of different forums, and today decided to try and get some users interested in bitcoin. I created a new thread and advertised that I would send anyone who adopted the currency (just downloading the client) a free 0.01 BTC. I provided all proper links to documentation, and quotations to explain what bitcoin is. My post was met with dismissal and accusations of advertising a scam. A moderator even posted that "This is little to no different than a chain letter or pyramid scheme. Those get permanent bans. Are you SURE that you want to advertise it?". His non-obligatory posted warning was generous, and I commend him for doing so (tho I couldn't make use of it because I left to check the temperatures of my rig after posting the thread).

I have been a member of said forum for over 4 years, and I was given a permanent ban. It took 6 volleys back and forth between the moderator and I in private messages to have the ban reduced.

My point, look at the stigma bitcoin has, "This is little to no different than a chain letter or pyramid scheme". The name has been poisoned, this will have to improve before it can possibly meet mainstream adoption.

First and foremost, think of Bitcoin as you would any other currency. Why do you care if anyone uses it? If I knocked on your door and tried to convince you to use World of warcraft gold, wouldn't you tell me to stop spamming? Doesn't offering people money to use it scream SCAM SCAM SCAM?

Also, stop spamming and making us look bad. Start discussions about it, then let people choose based off of information. So many coolaid drinkers here are under the delusion that if they can just get people to start using it, they will fall in love with it and change the world! Why do they want people to use it though? Because then their bitcoins will be worth more. Sounds like a scheme to me too!

When I get emails telling me I should buy a stock because it's going to go up, I think it's a worthless stock. The reason is because if it was so important, I would have known about it and the world would have seen it rise themselves. We need bitcoin to be used, but not by a bunch of random 'numbers'. We need people who want to use it for the rest of their life. Lead by example, not with your mouth.

TeaL (OP)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:29:23 AM

Also, stop spamming and making us look bad.
Ouch.

So many coolaid drinkers here are under the delusion that if they can just get people to start using it, they will fall in love with it and change the world!
I'm not under that delusion, I was just trying to offer an incentive to help it get some exposure.

We need bitcoin to be used, but not by a bunch of random 'numbers'. We need people who want to use it for the rest of their life.
People can't use it or become interested if they aren't exposed to it.

Lead by example, not with your mouth.
Actions may speak louder than words, but are in vein if no-one knows of the actions.

I appreciate the feedback, but damn, could you perhaps be more supportive?
RandyFolds

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:33:36 AM

He may lack some social graces, but he's got a point. Putting the information out there and letting people come to their own conclusions is more powerful than offering up nickels in obscure currency. I understand and appreciate the intent, it just seems like a used car salesman tactic.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 02:56:29 AM

Also, stop spamming and making us look bad.
Ouch.

So many coolaid drinkers here are under the delusion that if they can just get people to start using it, they will fall in love with it and change the world!
I'm not under that delusion, I was just trying to offer an incentive to help it get some exposure.

We need bitcoin to be used, but not by a bunch of random 'numbers'. We need people who want to use it for the rest of their life.
People can't use it or become interested if they aren't exposed to it.

Lead by example, not with your mouth.
Actions may speak louder than words, but are in vein if no-one knows of the actions.

I appreciate the feedback, but damn, could you perhaps be more supportive?

Written communication not being able to convey emotions and specific nuances correctly is a known issue and is the basis for the advention of emoticons. I'm actually being supportive by even bothering to reply. You'll get used to it. In the meantime, I'll try injecting more smilies into my statements to keep people from being butthurt.

Wink <--Looks gay

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 11:41:52 AM

More like you wasted 4 years in a fail forum

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: