Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:13:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bought fake Insluin, hope someone has some info on the guy.  (Read 8617 times)
shakaru (OP)

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 11:13:15 PM
Last edit: January 03, 2012, 12:41:15 AM by shakaru

There was a post last month before thanksgiving on the So-Cal Craigslist with an elderly gentleman selling R type insulin for cash or btc. The last part caught me eye and from out talks, its sounded like he just had a recurring RX and was letting the stuff go for cheap aslong as you payed him the cost and a little bit for his time.
Well last night I went to refil my insulin pump, and woke up nearly dead today. It was just water, or saline, or who knows.
Point of this post is to see if anyone else saw that post and kept the info, and to warn off people in the LAX area buying insluin online.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                       ▄███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▄
                     ▄█████▄▄██████████████▄▄█████▄
        ██████  █████████▄████████████████████▄█████
        ██████  ███████▄████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▄████
                      ▄██████▀████████████▀██████▄████
███████   █████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████
     ██████████████████████████████████████████████████
                     █████████████████████████████████
            ██████████▀██████▄████████████▄██████▀████
            ███████████▀████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄███
                    █████▀████████████████▄▀██████▄
                     ▀█████▀▀██████████████▀██▀██████▄
                       ▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀▀▀
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitsky

Activity: 576
Merit: 514

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 11:55:01 PM

Not meant as an offense, but this is a triple facepalm situation.
Never ever buy any meds from unknown sources.
If something is cheap, it's cheap for a reason. Learn from it and be happy you survived.

Bounty: Earn up to 68.7 BTC
Like my post? Feel free to drop a tip to 1BitskyZbfR4irjyXDaGAM2wYKQknwX36Y
teflone

Activity: 770
Merit: 500

You're fat, because you dont have any pics on FB

View Profile
January 02, 2012, 11:57:44 PM

Sad

Happy your alright Shak..

For Canadians by Canadians: Canada's Bitcoin Community - https://www.coinforum.ca/
shakaru (OP)

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:11:29 AM

I am good. I just had a really bad morning and thats all. And while I know you should not buy drugs in this mannor but if you knew how much this would cost me for just 7 days, you would be looking for other options too.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:37:17 AM

Post of this post...
what?

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
teek

Activity: 667

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:39:57 AM

I am good. I just had a really bad morning and thats all. And while I know you should not buy drugs in this mannor but if you knew how much this would cost me for just 7 days, you would be looking for other options too.

That's crazy man.  Out of curiosity, what does it cost?  Karmas gonna get that guy..
shakaru (OP)

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 12:43:16 AM

That's crazy man.  Out of curiosity, what does it cost?  Karmas gonna get that guy..

About $115  per 10ml vial, this will last me 2 weeks. Im going to goto the county run hosipital in the morning, it cost about $14 or so and they give a good amount too. The only problem there is that I have to wait nearly a full day there.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 05:14:18 AM

You need to report this to the police, to your local health authorities, and to So-Cal Craig's list.  This is a public health issue and media alerts about the scam need to be sent out. 

Keep whatever you have left so that it can be analysed by the authorities.  Because of the knowing and reckless disregard for human life involved, this guy's actions have probably crossed the line into criminal.  You should at least have some record of where you sent payment to, which might be a start - and Craig's list should have a copy of the original ad.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
shakaru (OP)

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:06:42 AM

You need to report this to the police, to your local health authorities, and to So-Cal Craig's list.  This is a public health issue and media alerts about the scam need to be sent out. 

Keep whatever you have left so that it can be analysed by the authorities.  Because of the knowing and reckless disregard for human life involved, this guy's actions have probably crossed the line into criminal.  You should at least have some record of where you sent payment to, which might be a start - and Craig's list should have a copy of the original ad.

Thats the reason I asked here first while its still the holiday. If there wasnt others at risk, I wouldnt care but when it comes to ones health, thats a big issue.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:07:24 AM

^this
though I think the catch is that it is likely illegal to purchase RX only medications from individuals. I'm sorry for you I really am, Shakaru. I am very happy you did not get hurt from this.

BUT HOLY FUCKING SHIT MAN!!  What were you thinking!!! This dude could have put rat poison in there for all we know. :/  Your life is not worth risking to save some money. I'd rob a bank to get meds before I'd risk injecting something into my body from unknown source. :/

Derek

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
kjj
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1024

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 06:12:18 AM

Yeah, agreed on the police thing.  They might even treat it as attempted murder (but then probably deal it down).

I'm not familiar with insulin packaging.  Did it look legit?  Are there normally any tamper seals or anti-counterfeiting measures?

17Np17BSrpnHCZ2pgtiMNnhjnsWJ2TMqq8
I routinely ignore posters with paid advertising in their sigs.  You should too.
repentance

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 07:06:31 AM
Last edit: January 03, 2012, 07:19:02 AM by repentance

though I think the catch is that it is likely illegal to purchase RX only medications from individuals.

I'm sure it is but I doubt that the OP would be risking prosecution (if he's worried about that, notify the health authorities instead).  At least a couple of times a year, police here issue warnings about batches of illicit drugs which are potentially more lethal than usual.  I suspect that it's kind of like 419 scams - the victim might have been acting illegally, but the public good is best served by not prosecuting them and publicising the scam so that others don't get caught.

And Shakaru, it sounds like your judgement has been "off" a bit lately.  Might be time to de-stress a bit.

I wouldn't wait to contact the police.  This nearly killed you and it could well kill somebody else if you put off notifying authorities because it's a holiday.  Your local health authorities will also have some kind of after hours contact number and it's exactly this kind of situation which warrants using it.  Local hospitals also need to know about this in case people come in with DKA and their pumps indicate that they've taken their insulin.

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
sadpandatech

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 03:52:59 PM

though I think the catch is that it is likely illegal to purchase RX only medications from individuals.

I'm sure it is but I doubt that the OP would be risking prosecution (if he's worried about that, notify the health authorities instead).  At least a couple of times a year, police here issue warnings about batches of illicit drugs which are potentially more lethal than usual.  I suspect that it's kind of like 419 scams - the victim might have been acting illegally, but the public good is best served by not prosecuting them and publicising the scam so that others don't get caught.

And Shakaru, it sounds like your judgement has been "off" a bit lately.  Might be time to de-stress a bit.

I wouldn't wait to contact the police.  This nearly killed you and it could well kill somebody else if you put off notifying authorities because it's a holiday.  Your local health authorities will also have some kind of after hours contact number and it's exactly this kind of situation which warrants using it.  Local hospitals also need to know about this in case people come in with DKA and their pumps indicate that they've taken their insulin.
+10

If you're not excited by the idea of being an early adopter 'now', then you should come back in three or four years and either tell us "Told you it'd never work!" or join what should, by then, be a much more stable and easier-to-use system.
- GA

It is being worked on by smart people.  -DamienBlack
DeLorean

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:07:13 PM

Glad you're okay shakaru!
repentance

View Profile
January 03, 2012, 09:47:49 PM

Yeah, agreed on the police thing.  They might even treat it as attempted murder (but then probably deal it down).

I'm not familiar with insulin packaging.  Did it look legit?  Are there normally any tamper seals or anti-counterfeiting measures?

Pumps are usually filled from standard insulin vials - you draw it up into a syringe and fill the reservoir from that.  While you should technically always check the expiry date and check for evidence of tampering, I don't know any diabetics who actually do that.  Like everything else, people become conditioned to everything being OK and when you've done something thousands of times before without incident, you don't necessarily think to change what has become an automatic ritual if some factor is different.

Whether the tampering would have been apparent depends on how it was done.  The easiest way would have been to remove the insulin via a syringe and replace the contents the same way.  It wouldn't necessarily have been apparent if a fine enough needle was used unless the OP looked hard for puncture marks on the membrane.  If the entire rubber membrane and the cap around it were replaced (fiddly, but definitely not impossible), then there'd be no obvious evidence of tampering.  You might notice that the fake insulin moved differently in the vial than real insulin if you were looking for it, but syringing up insulin becomes a process which people do pretty much on autopilot.

I'm curious about how much of a discount this guy was offering and how he explained obtaining them at such a low cost.  I also want to know what was really in the vials. 

shakaru (OP)

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 01:36:22 AM

So, I just got out of the hosptal. I had to go down and get a replacement supply and get checked out from this, but it turns out it was a god send as they found something out during my blood work.

All the vials have the ramper proff lids on. Also, the cost wasnt bad. It was between 10-15 a vail. Thats about co-pay cost. The guy said he was a type 2 diabetic and no longer needed insluin and was trying to just get rid of them for what he payed. Tomorrow after my follow up I need to goto the Sherifs office and file a report.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄
                         ▀▀██████████████████▀▀
                             ▀▀▀████████▀▀▀
QUIFAS                    
                    ███
 █              ███ ███
 █              ███  █
███          █  ███
███         ███  █
███  █      ███  █
    ███  █  ███  █
    ███ ███  █   █
     █   █   █
     █      
RandyFolds

Activity: 448

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 01:46:40 AM

So, I just got out of the hosptal. I had to go down and get a replacement supply and get checked out from this, but it turns out it was a god send as they found something out during my blood work.

All the vials have the ramper proff lids on. Also, the cost wasnt bad. It was between 10-15 a vail. Thats about co-pay cost. The guy said he was a type 2 diabetic and no longer needed insluin and was trying to just get rid of them for what he payed. Tomorrow after my follow up I need to goto the Sherifs office and file a report.

Definitely do it. One resource that may be worth contacting is poison control. They should be able to get you in touch with the right people in the health department, and it is a little buffer from the police interaction. It's california, so you'll get bounced around a bunch, but stick with it and someone will know who to talk to.

Glad you're ok. I have done the LA County hospital thing, and it's not fun...15 hours for blood work and an ultrasound, and then a $2000 bill that I paid at the hospital getting sent to collections because those fuckwits applied it to someone else's account...
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 02:44:01 AM

may i suggest you to take your fake insulin to a lab to have it analyzed? if there was something bad in the fake insulin, it would be best to know sooner than later.

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
repentance

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 02:53:19 AM

may i suggest you to take your fake insulin to a lab to have it analyzed? if there was something bad in the fake insulin, it would be best to know sooner than later.

He should get the health department, poison control or the police to do this.  Apart from anything else, those vials are evidence and him going off playing Nancy Drew could undermine a proper criminal investigation without especially benefiting him.

His blood-work and follow up should reveal anything he needs to know about immediate potential problems from the fake insulin.

shakaru (OP)

QUIFAS EXCHANGE

View Profile
January 04, 2012, 03:05:13 AM

No, its not related to the insulin. Maybe the high glucose caused some symptoms that I should have payed more attention to, but it looks like I have a form of blood type cancer. I have an apt with a oncologist later this week. This does explain why I my nose has been bleeding daily for a while now. Im not really scared about this, ive had bad health most of my life and it hasnt beat me yet.

▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
                         ▄▄██████████████████▄▄