Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 07:23:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian roadmap to Solar System colonisation. Moon is the first step.  (Read 6171 times)
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:25:57 PM

Apollo 18 is a pretty good movie.

Moon, about the guy that gets replaced every three years, not so good.

But hey, don't forget the classics - Destination Moon rocks, and it's on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsisGSBlQqo
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:34:10 PM

Apollo 18 is a pretty good movie.
Moon, about the guy that gets replaced every three years, not so good.

Hmm.... I used to like the horror movies in the past. But now I have lost my taste for them. Don't know.... if I feel like I want to watch, then I'll buy either the DVD or the Blu-Ray.  Grin
Wilikon
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 06:41:26 PM

Sorry people!

Nothing can touch this true classic Moon movie... Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JDaOOw0MEE
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1014

View Profile WWW
April 13, 2014, 07:29:27 PM

Sorry people!

Ah, the memories. But you need to watch it in HD Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 13, 2014, 07:54:06 PM

Sorry people!

Ah, the memories. But you need to watch it in HD Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FrdVdKlxUk

Nice. Now we need to go beyond the Moon... Russian style
http://youtu.be/16rktAcZ0AE

nicked

Activity: 175
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:43:13 AM

The reason that it seems like the US has abandoned its space program is not because they actually abandoned it. It's because they now have something better that they want to keep secret.
bythesea

Activity: 168
Merit: 101

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:54:26 AM

I would rather chose to go to the Mars then Moon. I know the view from Moon is better but Mars is a better choice.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 09:59:37 AM

I would rather chose to go to the Mars then Moon. I know the view from Moon is better but Mars is a better choice.

That will not happen in the near future. Even the most efficient rocket takes 1.5 years to reach Mars. And every trip costs around $100 billion. No country is having that much money right now.  Sad
supernovax

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 12:50:20 PM

If half of the military defense spending is use in space program there will be human settlements in mars right now and we already mining asteroids.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:25:43 PM

So how of that stuff can we extract before the lunar to Earth weight ratio makes the Moon spin out into space?
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 01:35:22 PM

I remember some SciFi author had a story, where the Lunar colony declares independence and decides to leave Earth orbit (was it Clarke).
To make transport of minerals from the Moon cost-efficient, the system must be balanced - rockets won't do, space lift will. And as they say, what goes down, must come up (or do they). There is always something Earth needs to dump somewhere...

“Dark times lie ahead of us and there will be a time when we must choose between what is easy and what is right.”
“It is important to fight and fight again, and keep fighting, for only then can evil be kept at bay, though never quite eradicated.”
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 01:51:32 PM

So how of that stuff can we extract before the lunar to Earth weight ratio makes the Moon spin out into space?

What is there in the moon to extract? Any mining in the moon will be a million times more expensive than doing the same on earth. And none of the major metals are going to run out any time soon.
Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:22:49 PM

What is there in the moon to extract? Any mining in the moon will be a million times more expensive than doing the same on earth. And none of the major metals are going to run out any time soon.

Mining Helium-3 On the Moon
http://youtu.be/94rEqHP9dOQ

bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 02:55:25 PM

Why we need Helium-3, when we have millions of tons of Uranium available on the earth? Considering the difficulty in storing Helium, and the cost of conducting lunar missions, I can't understand the logic.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:29:08 PM

Why we need Helium-3, when we have millions of tons of Uranium available on the earth? Considering the difficulty in storing Helium, and the cost of conducting lunar missions, I can't understand the logic.

Helium 3 is now used as a cyro refrigerant, and has a value way way WAY higher than say gold.   It could now be mined on the moon and shot back to Earth and be profitable.   It's future value is in fuel for fusion reactors.  This mining process would have to be automated and robotic to be practical.

There is more titanium OR aluminum in the top several meters of depth of an average square kilometer of the Moon's surface than is mined on the entire Earth each year currently.  Also of course iron.

These surface metals are relatively easy to purify, although the process is very different than what is used on Earth.    They are in oxide form typically.  Many other useful elements and materials.  However the Moon is very poor in C, N, and "volatiles".  As an example, it would be difficult to make plastics on the Moon.

Really the best way to think of the Moon is as one gigantic materials mine....also as a place where operations that have to be done in vacuum, would be extremely easy.  examples, vapor deposition or ion sputtering.
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:57:43 PM

There is more titanium OR aluminum in the top several meters of depth of an average square kilometer of the Moon's surface than is mined on the entire Earth each year currently.  Also of course iron.

Even if there is a lot of Titanium and Aluminium out there, how will you transport all this back to earth? Do you know the cost of a lunar mission? It runs in to tens of millions of USD.
Nemo1024 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 04:41:04 PM

Even if there is a lot of Titanium and Aluminium out there, how will you transport all this back to earth? Do you know the cost of a lunar mission? It runs in to tens of millions of USD.

At the present. The initial step is always the most expensive one. Once a space elevator (or space bolas) is in place, the cost will be minimal.

Wilikon
Legendary

minds.com/Wilikon

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:55:54 PM

If you guys watched the video the Russians and pretty much every state that can send people into space see Helium 3 mining on the Moon to be cost effective, even with today's technology
bryant.coleman
Legendary

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:02:20 PM

At the present. The initial step is always the most expensive one. Once a space elevator (or space bolas) is in place, the cost will be minimal.

You need to remember that the average distance from Earth to the Moon is 384,400 km. I don't know whether in future technology will ma e that much travel viable for metal extraction.
FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 05:03:42 PM

Absolutely noone will set foot on the moon (let alone live/work there) until it either becomes a) profitable to do so or b) offers another tremendous advantage (i.e. military or geopolitical).

As both scenarios are long stretches away, there's simply no actual and real incentive to toss hundreds of Billions of Dollars at such a project. It just doesn't pay off and no individual nation has the pockets deep enough and the tech to pull it off alone.

The technology is mostly there - but the profitable outcome (of whatever nature) is not, especially not for a project of this magnitude.

PS.
The mineral composition of the moon's surface (as discovered so far) makes it rather uninteresting. Reserves of all identified minerals are still more than plentyful here on earth.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: