Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:43:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are the most secure-yet-convenient ways of creating a wallet, that require  (Read 2238 times)
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 12:11:13 PM

What are the most secure-yet-convenient ways of creating a wallet, that require just remembering a password?

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 12:17:12 PM

use Electrum: deterministic wallet, mnemonic seed: http://ecdsa.org/electrum/seed.html

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
fornit

Activity: 991
Merit: 1008

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 02:50:30 PM

not really on topic, but going from not having backups at all to max security isnt necessarily the best way.
you cant have it without some downsides or inconveniences and you have to make sure they are ok for you or your friend.
for example 2-factor auth is nice, but you better dont lose your yubikey or be certain, you will have access to that email address virtually forever.
online wallets are convenient, but what if they vanish? how much work is it to get your wallet running at another service? can your friend handle that alone?

doesnt mean its not the best solution for your friend. but a desktop client with encryption and backups might work just as well. might be a good time to introduce him to the magic power of backups anyway  Wink
ripper234 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Ron Gross

View Profile WWW
January 05, 2012, 03:29:33 PM

not really on topic, but going from not having backups at all to max security isnt necessarily the best way.
you cant have it without some downsides or inconveniences and you have to make sure they are ok for you or your friend.
for example 2-factor auth is nice, but you better dont lose your yubikey or be certain, you will have access to that email address virtually forever.
online wallets are convenient, but what if they vanish? how much work is it to get your wallet running at another service? can your friend handle that alone?

doesnt mean its not the best solution for your friend. but a desktop client with encryption and backups might work just as well. might be a good time to introduce him to the magic power of backups anyway  Wink

I told him, over half a year ago, when he bought his BTC - "encrypt and backup".
At the end, it's a matter of personal responsibility. He did ask me to hold on to his BTC for him, but I didn't want to take the responsibility ... it's enough responsibility holding my own BTC, would hate to lower someone else's.

Please do not pm me, use ron@bitcoin.org.il instead
Mastercoin Executive Director
Co-founder of the Israeli Bitcoin Association
ffe

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 05, 2012, 07:05:59 PM

Not quite remembering a password but printing a QR code. See BitcoinSpinner.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: