Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:26:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: a simple traffic load test run  (Read 10494 times)
bytemaster

Activity: 770
Merit: 566

fractally

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2010, 01:45:43 PM

From a purely ethical view no one "owns" the distributed system nor "owes" anyone else anything.  If someone is generating a ton of transactions to the point of annoying people then transaction fees start to apply.    Otherwise, the system *is broken* and needs to be fixed.

I want to use bitcoin to enable a  "micro payment" system but need the system to operate at a much higher speed.

Effectively, you cannot depend upon "trust" and "fair play" in the usage of a P2P system.  This is why we uses economics and money to allocate limited resources to those who will pay the most.   The result is that the "cost" to post transactions to the test network should be much less than the cost to post transactions to the real network. 

So assume someone started a p2p system that was generating one million small transactions per second among 10 million unique addresses each belonging to a unique individual conducting legitimate business.  What would happen?   

My example here would be a distributed "world wide web" where individuals were paid to host content "bit torrent style" and peers would pay BTC per block of the torrent downloaded. 

https://fractally.com - the next generation of decentralized autonomous organizations (DAOs).
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
knightmb

Activity: 308
Merit: 256

View Profile WWW
July 28, 2010, 03:42:53 PM

I guess I never expected people to stake their life's saving or even a day's wages on the thing at its current stage of development. It still doesn't make sense to me to do anything of the sort. Obviously some people see it differently. I will try not to repeat my mistake.

The same could be said about any currency or object, but to come to the forum to ask for advice, expect to get plenty of advice. The test network is there to test and if anything it would be the best place to start. You would want to move up to more production testing later on once you are certain that the test is doing what you want it to do and NOT what you want it to do.

You can't test for something looking for a certain result and end up getting 20 other results that you didn't expect and have no idea why they are being produced until each was examined later on.

You could always build you own network with the -connect=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx option to make a private network of actual release version BitCoin clients and try to blow it up that way.  Grin

Timekoin - The World's Most Energy Efficient Encrypted Digital Currency
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: