Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:24:48 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [ANN] MMGen, a complete Bitcoin command-line online/offline wallet solution  (Read 35557 times)
mmgen-py (OP)

Activity: 110
Merit: 26

View Profile WWW
July 27, 2016, 08:18:46 PM
Last edit: November 28, 2016, 04:54:39 PM by mmgen-py

mmgen-txcreate running in a terminal window

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 01, 2016, 04:19:01 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2016, 04:16:33 PM by mmgen-py

Announcing MMGen version 0.8.5

New features/improvements:

• Colored output
  • Label editing in mmgen-txcreate

This release includes a major object-oriented overhaul of much of the code, which will make MMGen easier to develop and maintain.

NOTE: The transaction file format has changed. Since TX files are temporary, this shouldn't be a problem for most. However, the script 'tx-old2new.py' in the scripts directory will convert old old TX files to the new format for those who need to do so.

The Windows implementation is functional again. Use at your own risk, and report any problems on the Bitcointalk forum.

A prebuilt bootable image with version 0.8.5 is available on the MMGenLive project page.

MMGen project page: https://github.com/mmgen/mmgen
MMGenLive project page: https://github.com/mmgen/MMGenLive
Support the MMGen project: 15TLdmi5NYLdqmtCqczUs5pBPkJDXRs83w
mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2016, 05:03:25 PM
Last edit: November 02, 2016, 04:16:04 PM by mmgen-py

Announcing MMGen version 0.8.6

New features/improvements:

• Address generation using the secp256k1 library (Linux only)

Instructions for installing the secp256k1 library on your system have been added to the wiki.

If secp256k1 is not installed on the system, MMGen still remains usable. It just falls back to 'keyconv', or failing that, python-ecdsa for generating addresses.

A prebuilt bootable image with version 0.8.6 is available on the MMGenLive project page.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 12, 2016, 12:09:25 PM
Last edit: November 14, 2016, 05:16:06 PM by mmgen-py

Announcing MMGen version 0.8.7

New features/fixes/improvements:

Testnet support:
  • Practice sending/receiving coins without risking real funds. (Get free testnet coins at https://tpfaucet.appspot.com/)
  • Test suite fully supported
  • To enable, set MMGEN_TESTNET environment variable and restart bitcoind with the -testnet option

Fixes/enhancements:
  • The regression preventing importing addresses with --rescan has been fixed
  • Tracking and spending non-MMGen addresses is now fully functional.  All the scripts correctly recognize and display non-MMGen addresses
  • mmgen-txcreate: improvements in unspent outputs display
  • mmgen-txsign: use bitcoind wallet dump as keylist without modification

A prebuilt bootable image of version 0.8.7 is available on the MMGenLive project page.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2016, 08:12:41 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 07:18:25 PM by mmgen-py

Announcing MMGen version 0.8.8

Data directory, config file and default wallet support:
  • Data directory is '~/.mmgen'; config file is 'mmgen.cfg'.
  • When default wallet is present in data directory, specifying the wallet on the command line is optional.
  • Datadir structure mirrors that of Bitcoin Core: mainnet and testnet share a common config file, with testnet putting its own files, including the default wallet, in the subdirectory 'testnet3'.
  • Global vars are now overriden in this order:
               1) config file
                2) environmental variables beginning with 'MMGEN_' (listed in globalvars.py)
                3) command line
  • Long (common) opts added for setting global vars; display with --longhelp.

The test suite has been updated to test the new features.
    Tested on Windows: the stable_mswin tag now points to this release.

Other changes/improvements:
  • Always get user entropy, even for non-critical randomness, unless '-r0'.
  • rpcuser,rpcpassword now override cookie authentication, as with Core.
  • Communication with remote bitcoind supported with --rpc-host option.
  • Testnet use can be set/overridden with the --testnet=0|1 option.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2016, 09:49:26 AM

Announcing MMGenLive version 0.0.6

This release of MMGenLive, the prebuilt bootable installation of the MMGen wallet system, has been updated with the latest versions of Ubuntu, Bitcoin Core and MMGen:

• Ubuntu 16.04 LTS 'xenial' (Intel 64-bit)
  • Bitcoin Core v0.13.1
  • MMGen v0.8.8

Its most notable new feature is the script 'mmlive-node-setup', which automatically installs and configures a full Bitcoin node on a blank hard drive in matter of seconds.  Support for running a node as a Tor hidden service is supported out of the box.  Refer to the file 'README.fullnode' in the home directory for details.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 25, 2016, 03:47:31 PM
Last edit: November 07, 2017, 05:57:17 AM by mmgen-py

A full node in the palm of your hand!  Running a full node the easy way with MMGenLive

What you'll need:

• XCY Celeron J1900 Quad-Core Fanless Mini-PC............$116, Aliexpress
  • 1TB Seagate 2.5-inch Hard Drive.......................................$50, Amazon
  • 8GB 1.35V SO-DIMM Memory............................................$60, Amazon
  • 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive......................................................$5
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • TOTAL.......................................................................... ............$231

plus:

• an Internet connection,
  • an ethernet patch cord,
  • 2 rubber bands, and
  • a Phillips screwdriver.

Remove the Mini-PC's baseplate and mount the hard drive on the baseplate using the supplied screws, cushioning the drive with the rubber bands.
Hook up the data and power cables:

This Mini-PC has VGA, HDMI and two gigabit Ethernet ports. Note that the CPU is not visible here. It's on the back of the motherboard, in contact with the lid/heatsink:

Reassemble the Mini-PC.

Bottom view of the unit after reassembly

Download the latest MMGenLive boot image from the MMGenLive project page and copy it to the USB drive as described.

Attach a keyboard, monitor and ethernet cable to the Mini-PC, insert the USB drive and hit the power switch.  Hit ENTER at the boot menu, type the password 'mmgen' to unlock the disk and wait for the terminal prompt to appear:

Type 'mmlive-networking-enable' at the command prompt — you're online.

Type 'mmlive-upgrade' at the command prompt — your node is upgraded with the latest changes from Github!

Type 'mmlive-node-setup' at the command prompt — your node is installed on the hard drive and configured!

Type 'mmlive-node-start' at the command prompt — your node is running and syncing!

Once started, you can detach the keyboard and monitor and access the box via SSH.

The node is also ready to run as a Tor hidden service, if desired. Refer to the file 'README.fullnode' in the home directory for details.

One more node has joined the Bitcoin network!

Congratulations, you're now doing your part to secure the Bitcoin network and blockchain!

Now, when you have the time: try out the preinstalled MMGen wallet system and discover why it's a better alternative to third-party wallet services and hardware wallets.

Be your own bank!  Use the full potential of Bitcoin!  Run a full node!

Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 10:32:53 PM

A full node in the palm of your hand!  Running a full node the easy way with MMGenLive

Be your own bank!  Use the full potential of Bitcoin!  Run a full node!

Wow man its pretty good job u did here, i will run my own node now.
Guides like this are what spreads adoption and doing good for Bitcoin as a whole.

Keep it up Smiley, will check regularly here.
mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2016, 01:17:15 AM

The Reddit announcement and discussion of the MMGenLive full node: https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/5eu9ay/a_full_node_in_the_palm_of_your_hand_running_a/
shinohai

Activity: 267
Merit: 109

View Profile
November 27, 2016, 12:24:43 AM

Downloading a copy of the live boot image to try tonight. I unfortunately run a custom bitcoind based on 0.5.4 so can't use it under my daily driver. But project looks very nice and piqued my interest enough to give it a shot.

Kudos for doing the right thing and signing the images as well.  Cool

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 06:08:23 AM

Downloading a copy of the live boot image to try tonight.

Best of luck! Check in here if any questions or problems arise.
mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 06:18:33 AM
Last edit: November 27, 2016, 07:28:11 AM by mmgen-py

The MMGenLive Mini-PC full node at work

System load: idling, relaying transactions

System load: validating blocks

shinohai

View Profile
November 27, 2016, 02:13:34 PM

Downloading a copy of the live boot image to try tonight.

Best of luck! Check in here if any questions or problems arise.

Hi managed to get it running inside qemu, though the graphical version didn't work. (Cli is all I need anyway) I probably need to tweak a few settings to optimize it. I look forward to digging in more.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 04:25:22 PM

Hi managed to get it running inside qemu, though the graphical version didn't work. (Cli is all I need anyway)

Glad to hear it! I've tested it on a variety of hardware but never tried booting it in a virtual machine. At what stage did the graphics boot fail?
shinohai

View Profile
November 27, 2016, 08:32:48 PM

Hi managed to get it running inside qemu, though the graphical version didn't work. (Cli is all I need anyway)

Glad to hear it! I've tested it on a variety of hardware but never tried booting it in a virtual machine. At what stage did the graphics boot fail?

It allows me to decrypt fs, but when it gets to user login it just sort of "loops" there and allows no input. If I get a chance this week I will see if I can dump some debug information on it.

The other method works fine however, so if there are users accustomed to command line that want to give it a test drive, it's an option.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2016, 07:28:30 AM
Last edit: November 28, 2016, 03:28:36 PM by mmgen-py

It allows me to decrypt fs, but when it gets to user login it just sort of "loops" there and allows no input. If I get a chance this week I will see if I can dump some debug information on it.

With qemu, install xserver-xorg-video-vesa and graphical boot will work!  You'll get best performance with -vga std.  These parameters work for me:

qemu-system-x86_64 -vga std -m 1024 -enable-kvm -machine pc-q35-xenial,accel=kvm xenial64.img

The screen resolution is incorrect.  I'll see what I can do about that.

I've discovered that the ~/bin directory isn't always getting added to $PATH. So you have to do it by hand, or run the scripts as bin/<scriptname>.

These issues will be fixed by the next release.
shinohai

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 05:35:06 PM

With qemu, install xserver-xorg-video-vesa and graphical boot will work!  You'll get best performance with -vga std.  These parameters work for me:

qemu-system-x86_64 -vga std -m 1024 -enable-kvm -machine pc-q35-xenial,accel=kvm xenial64.img

The screen resolution is incorrect.  I'll see what I can do about that.

I've discovered that the ~/bin directory isn't always getting added to $PATH. So you have to do it by hand, or run the scripts as bin/<scriptname>.

These issues will be fixed by the next release.

What version of qemu are you using? I have QEMU emulator version 2.6.0 (Debian 1:2.6+dfsg-3.1) currently. I made need to build another from source as mine doesn't find the machine type.

Adding the -vga-std flag did allow me to type in user this time, but still hangs upon entering pass.

Not a big deal honestly, as I am used to working solely in cli. The minimalist in me will likely scrap the Lubuntu bits anyway and add mmgen to a gentoo image.  Cool

The minipc thing is interesting as well. I was working with some guys on a pogoplug type box for this purpose though the insane memory requirements put a damper on it.

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2016, 06:24:08 PM
Last edit: December 02, 2016, 06:17:31 PM by mmgen-py

What version of qemu are you using? I have QEMU emulator version 2.6.0 (Debian 1:2.6+dfsg-3.1) currently. I made need to build another from source as mine doesn't find the machine type.

Adding the -vga-std flag did allow me to type in user this time, but still hangs upon entering pass.

Not a big deal honestly, as I am used to working solely in cli. The minimalist in me will likely scrap the Lubuntu bits anyway and add mmgen to a gentoo image.  Cool

The minipc thing is interesting as well. I was working with some guys on a pogoplug type box for this purpose though the insane memory requirements put a damper on it.

Did you install xserver-xorg-video-vesa in the guest?

You should be booting right into an autologged-in X session, the screen you see in my writeup above.  If not, then something's wrong.

My host system is Ubuntu xenial, just like the boot image system:

$ qemu-system-x86_64 --version
QEMU emulator version 2.5.0 (Debian 1:2.5+dfsg-5ubuntu10.6), Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Fabrice Bellard

$ qemu-system-x86_64 --machine help
Supported machines are:
ubuntu               Ubuntu 16.04 PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996) (alias of pc-i440fx-xenial)
pc-i440fx-xenial     Ubuntu 16.04 PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996) (default)
pc-i440fx-wily       Ubuntu 15.04 PC (i440FX + PIIX, 1996)
pc-q35-xenial        Ubuntu 16.04 PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009)
q35                  Standard PC (Q35 + ICH9, 2009) (alias of pc-q35-2.5)
isapc                ISA-only PC
none                 empty machine
xenfv                Xen Fully-virtualized PC
xenpv                Xen Para-virtualized PC

The Mini-PC's been up and online for about a week now, almost 24/7, without so much as a hiccup. I'm very satisfied so far. I'd been considering something more minimal, too, but having some experience running full nodes it became clear that Pogoplugs, Raspberry PIs, etc. just aren't up to the task anymore. MMGen on a Pi makes a good offline signing machine, but not an online node.
mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 07:17:15 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2016, 09:24:43 PM by mmgen-py

Announcing MMGen version 0.8.9

This release brings full functionality and wider testing to the MS Windows port. MMGen now works with both WinXP/MinGW32 and Win7+/MinGW64, and separate, updated installation instructions for both platforms have been added to the wiki. A working MSYS/MinGW environment is now required to run MMGen under Windows.

New Windows features:
  • Full non-interactive test suite support with pexpect (PopenSpawn)
  • secp256k1 address generation support
  • Secure wallet deletion with sdelete

Windows bugfixes:
  • A critical bug in writing the encrypted keyaddrfile has been fixed. This bug would have affected only online wallet use and would not have led to the loss of coins
  • Cookie filename fixed; RPC cookie authentication now functional

General features:
  • --bitcoin-data-dir, --rpc-port, --rpc-user, and --rpc-password options

mmgen-py (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2016, 09:04:03 PM

Announcing MMGen version 0.9.0

New features:
  • New 'mmgen-txdo' command creates, signs and sends transactions in one operation
  • Export seed to hexadecimal (mmhex) format
  • Support for 8-color terminals, better default colors on 256-color terminals
  • '--force-256-color' option overrides terminfo entry and $TERM environment variable
  • Selected 'mmgen-tool' commands now accept stdin input
  • Transaction file format change: TXID appended to file after tx is broadcast

A new tutorial, Recovering Keys Without MMGen, has been added to the wiki.

A prebuilt bootable image with version 0.9.0 is available on the MMGenLive project page.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: