Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 09:10:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Too much scamming in Bitcoin  (Read 4442 times)
serenitys

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

Be Here Now

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 03:56:03 AM

Bitcoin didn't rip anyone off. Someone ripped off bitcoin from other people.

So your statement is bullshit and both are not mutually exclusive.

Guess we shoudn't feed those who wants to start a flame war  Angry

Right indeed. Mybad. Forgot to check the OP.

You say "anti government" like that's a bad thing...

Unfortunate times will bring out the best in good people and the worst in bad people

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:00:27 AM

First MtGox disapears with an BTC fortune and then Neo Bee. Besides them, there are countless mining companies that never refund their clients on empty promises. Sadly, in generall there is to much scamming going on in the BTC to get this mainstream! Noone want to get ripped off. Especially on his/her first encounter with BTC. And sadly, right now, too many people encounter a scam as their first encounter with BTC.
It is a challenge for certain and finding trustworthy companies is part of that
But hopefully it improves with time

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Beliathon

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU

View Profile WWW
April 14, 2014, 04:05:00 AM

Welcome to capitalism - this whole shit is a scam, son.

Those with real power - real wealth, they pay very dangerous men to wield guns at you on their behalf. There is no capitalism without violence. There is no capitalism without deception and exploitation.

You should really watch "American Hustle".

Remember Aaron Swartz, a 26 year old computer scientist who died defending the free flow of information.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 14, 2014, 04:37:12 AM

Those with real power - real wealth, they pay very dangerous men to wield guns at you on their behalf. There is no capitalism without violence. There is no capitalism without deception and exploitation.

Real capitalism does not exist in today's world.
So blaming "capitalism" is not accurate.

freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
April 16, 2014, 11:32:34 PM

I guess we should probably call it corporatism and nepotism then if we are going to be technical

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Cryptopher
Legendary

Activity: 1789
Merit: 1008

Keep it dense, yeah?

View Profile
April 17, 2014, 12:00:21 AM

Scamming happens all over when people lack suitable knowledge on the topic.

Lots of 'experts' rip people off by charging over the odds for services they do not require, and because the customer is ill-informed they buy into it.

People criticise Bitcoin for various reasons, but they don't actually realise that they are actually describing fiat and gold too.

FalconFly

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Sentinel

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 09:49:13 AM

Lots of 'experts' rip people off by charging over the odds for services they do not require, and because the customer is ill-informed they buy into it.

People criticise Bitcoin for various reasons, but they don't actually realise that they are actually describing fiat and gold too.

Yes, there are scams elsewhere - but nowhere on the planet will you find it as compressed and centralized as in the Cryptocurrencty world.
Even the FIAT world isn't even remotely scammed this concentrated (how often do you need to check your wallet at home, just to see if your cash is still there? Or take it out of the wallet and hide it somewhere on your property using elaborate cryptic hideout maps&pointers to find it again - just to get an acceptable level of safety?)

And with the Gold world, the scamming is literally very low and focussed on a few counterfeit products (many easy to spot, most relatively easy to test - if ever in doubt, you can ask a friendly dealer or goldsmith to perform tests for you with his equipment for a small fee and get definite results). Despite chinese factories increasing their capabilities recently, purchasing gold from any reputable dealer (which runs tests with suitable equipment) rarely has resulted in being scammed in the big scheme of things. Not even the most advanced counterfeiters can defy the laws of physics - and any additional efforts decreases their profits. In my ~5 years, I never ran into any problems following only very basic guidelines even a child could understand.

Like it or not, Bitcoin operates in its own world called Scam-U-Topia - a paradise for little and big scammers.
I mean when was the last time you heard i.e. even Wall St. openly announcing their latest Ponzi scheme (guaranteed 140% payout!)? - only in the Bitcoin world you get that on a daily basis.
People are so used to scams and see them literally every hour at every corner, some even made an open business model of it *lol*

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Dogtanian

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:17:59 PM

Scamming happens because greed is human nature. Where there's money to be made there wil be scammers.
igorr

Activity: 406

View Profile
April 18, 2014, 02:41:12 PM

Where's the money, there is also fraud.

Cлaвьcя, Oтeчecтвo нaшe cвoбoднoe,
Бpaтcкиx нapoдoв coюз вeкoвoй,
Пpeдкaми дaннaя мyдpocть нapoднaя!
Cлaвьcя, cтpaнa! Mы гopдимcя тoбoй!
bountygiver

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 01:01:42 AM

Where's the money, there is also fraud.
Don't have to be money.
There could be fraud at any form of trade.

12dXW87Hhz3gUsXDDCB8rjJPsWdQzjwnm6
Nobitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

In holiday we trust

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:32:55 AM

My two pence... The world is a cruel place... Same applies to the net. So if your nieve as a few times I have been then your precious Bitcoins will belong to someone else being either a ponzi or a dice site  Grin
bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:58:20 AM

My two pence... The world is a cruel place... Same applies to the net. So if your nieve as a few times I have been then your precious Bitcoins will belong to someone else being either a ponzi or a dice site  Grin

Keep gambling sites out of this. Wasting money in gambling cannot be considered as scamming. And I know a lot of people who have won huge jackpots in Dice sites as well.
endoflove

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:09:41 AM

gambling and scamming can be the same if the odds are tweaked.
grifferz

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:30:21 AM

You mean if I get robbed, I can recover my lost money?

There is at least more likely to be consequences for the perpetrator if the authorities ever catch them. Whereas currently with Bitcoin police are not interested in investigating any fraud.

It's easy to understand why scams and fraud are rampant in the Bitcoin community:

• Irreversible pseudonymous transfers
  • Highly technical method of security
  • Lack of interest from conventional law enforcement
  • Crossing nation state boundaries is the norm, not the exception
  • Financial infrastructure being operated by people with no training and experience in operating traditional financial infrastructure ("I can operate a blog in PHP about my cat! Time to set up a crypto exchange and transact 6 figures a month!")
  • Crypocurrency financial infrastructure being operated without any of the regulation and safeguards that fiat financial infrastructure is forced to abide by
  • Financial dealing being undertaken by people who would normally never engage in financial dealing (lack of subject knowledge required to spot/avoid scammy proposals)
  • Recent history of incredible price rises instilling massive levels of greed into some participants

Whilst acknowledging these problems, I do not think they are crippling problems. I think their solution and the need for them to be solved will go hand in hand with mainstream adoption. The technology offers the possibilities and these are still early days.

All those crying about this have either been scammed because they are out of their depth, or are calling for an alt-coin where "freezing" of scammed funds is possible in the protocol, without actually doing any of the work to make that a reality.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 03:36:39 AM

I guess we should probably call it corporatism and nepotism then if we are going to be technical

Corporatism is accurate enough; Most people don't know what "capitalism" is since the current school system (and media) often blames the "free-market" when in reality individual freedom wasn't anywhere to be seen.

bryant.coleman
Legendary

Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 05:42:17 AM

Not many gambling sites can survive of they manipulate the odds. People will find out within hours and the news will be spread like wild fire. Just search here in Bitcointalk about such incidents.
jonald_fyookball
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004

Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:20:37 PM

Corporatism is accurate enough; Most people don't know what "capitalism" is since the current school system (and media) often blames the "free-market" when in reality individual freedom wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Agree.  True capitalism = laissez faire ("let do"), which is consistent with upholding individual rights (the only valid laws are those prohibiting fraud and initiary force). 

likesbtc

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:26:03 PM

problem with btc is always btc is not regulated.
SnakePlisken

Activity: 71
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:53:34 PM

Bitcoin itself is rock solid, but anytime you deal with a third party you are introducing counterparty risk. Eventually everyone will just move to decentralized solutions anyway.

FalconFly

Activity: 252

Sentinel

View Profile
April 19, 2014, 02:54:11 PM

Not many gambling sites can survive of they manipulate the odds. People will find out within hours and the news will be spread like wild fire. Just search here in Bitcointalk about such incidents.

Although they are all bigger or smaller scams, they all survive because their customers are either mentally incapable of spotting the scam, gullible, naive - or suffer from gambling addiction.
They all manipulate, that's their very nature and sole source of revenue.

This forum signature is like its owner - it can't be bought
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: